News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: NY Rangers 2023 - 2024 Season

Started by Jaime, August 25, 2023, 12:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babywhales and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

DaveBrown74

Good win. Detroit was flying in the third period. We had a few PP we had to kill but great win.

Jones has to keep playing like this with Fox apparently expected to miss another 12-15 games.

I feel like they're just playing a great team game right now.

Jaime

Marchand with two Goals. Two PP for the Blueshirts. Krides waves his magic wand again.
Plenty of clean hard hitting throughout the game. Our 4th Line had a good Game.  Quick was heading for a shut out till early in the 3rd...
Detroit with three unanswered Goals in the 3rd. They were within striking distance with aprox. eight mins. remaining.
We had three or four shots just miss the Open Net.

Gman329

Sounds like the coach jumped on them pretty good after the Minnesota game, with the message, "not having Fox and Chytil had less to do with the loss than sloppy play from everyone else", and the team responded, coming out on fire.  Next he can work on sustaining that energy for three periods.

kartanoman

Well, they took care of Minnesota tonight, and with Louie Domingue called up from Hartford and put on a great show with 26 saves.

Panarin extends his scoring streak to 13 consecutive games. Trocheck also adding another goal and assist and Lafrenere a goal and assist.

The second period was the head scratcher as the Rangers were outshot 11-1, I believe, and couldn't keep pace with the Wild. That they only gave up a single goal was huge and they responded in the first two minutes of third with the game winner.

10-2-1 to start the season and second only to Boston in the conference. They are a fun team to watch and I hope it continues.

On a separate note, did any of you watch the Devils-Avs game on Tuesday after the Rangers finished? The Avs won but the Devils kept it interesting for a while. I hope Colorado bounces back so we can see the Elite matchup of the Rangers and Avs at their best when they play late in the season.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jaime

4-1 W sounds like a walk in the park. It was anything but that. We dominate the 1st, only score once.
The 2nd was a complete 180. Go figure? we go into the 3rd tied at 1. We score three unanswered Goals.
One on a PP, one at five on five, and one on an Empty Net.
Laffy with a three Point night a Goal & two Helpers.  Maybe as mentioned, this is his breakout season?
Marchand scores again, plus another night of being dominate on the Dot. Heard he's at 63% on Faceoffs, what a #! The guy throws the body every night.
Bread continues on his scoring tear (if I'm not mistaken) he needs to score in the next two games to break Rod Gilbert's record that has stood since 1973.
I saw Rod score a couple times. My Father had Season Tix and would take me. I was a Senior in H.S. at the time with the GAG Line in full swing.

Most amazing Game was by our 3rd String Goalie. Injuries to (day to day) Shesty and Quick had us call up ( poor sp.) Domique from the Wolf Pack.
He only had to handle two  shots in the 1st. He gave up a Goal in the 2nd, but handled the other 25 (or so?) shots. He was a terrific interview in the Locker Room. He may be the Starter for the next game, depending on the status of Shesty & Quick?
Laviolette has them drinking the Kool-Aide!

kartanoman

No walks in the park, as this game wasn't decided until the empty net goal, but the Rangers kept the Wild tamed throughout the game by neutralizing their tough, grind it out play with some of their own. It's a style I'm not sure they'd win much of last season, especially in front of goal.

Domingue sealed the win with a beautiful save right in front of him when a Ranger defenseman went behind the goal to take on the puck handler, and left his opponent open in front of goal. That's at least twice I've noticed that and twice Ranger goalies have made great saves. When your farm team goalie gets called up, and helps deliver a win with one goal against, you can say the Rangers are getting great mileage out of their goalies so far. But the Defense is a story that is becoming one of the highlights in this early season so far.

A nice couple of days before taking Columbus to the woodshed on Sunday.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Nice win. Had a dinner so I completely missed it but given our injuries this was a nice result.

Glad they have nothing until Sunday and we're still at home. Chance to get healthier.

I don't think they should rush their goalies back. While being atop the division is nice, I'd rather have a mediocre 2 weeks than risk exacerbating any injuries. Ideally neither of those things happens, but I am just thinking long term. It's only early November.

babywhales

I had three hockey practices yesterday and missed the game; I do enjoy reading your write ups.   

Proud Dad moment, my 14 year old freshman decided to school choice to a neighboring school district for high school to play hockey with the kids he grew up playing, also a significantly better program.  Despite being a guaranteed 4-year letter winner in our home districts very poor hockey coop he left for the unknown and a most certain spot on JV.  

Last night,  I was told he just missed making 2nd line but made varsity as the 3rd line center. The kid is a 125 lb 5'6" undersized 14 year old playing 14-19 year olds; this should be interesting.  

Love the fact he took a chance and went for the unknown; couldn't be prouder!

Back to the Rangers: 

With only 1 game over the next 8 days and 2 games over the next 10 days it will be interesting to see how healthy they can get and if they can take on the Devils with a high intensity level of play.  

I have read the practices this year are much more intense than last year but they are given more days off from physical practice as a trade off and have more film and strategy sessions. 

I am hopeful Laviolette can keep them intense and focused. 

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Jaime

After playing the Blue Jackets on Sun. we have five days off. Then, a huge tilt at the Rock with the Devils.
I can't report on our injuries, or those of the Devils at this time. If any of you have Intel re; Injury Reports, please share it. The Devils game begins our mini marathon of seven Games in 12 days, featuring Boston as the 3rd game in four days. Our five days off comes at a very, much needed, juncture of time. :goteam: 

bobalobabingbong

What a goal to get the point and bring it to OT! I was starting to worry, especially after that bad no goal call in the 2nd. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Dan

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Jaime

bong, The Shoot Out winner by Laffy topped his tying Goal in Regulation :o
It was a soft Backhander over the shoulder of the Goalie!!!
Quick back in Net after a minor injury was SUPERB! His save on the Blue Jackets on the last shot gave us our 2nd Point!!!!

Bread has tied Rod Gilbert by scoring in the 1st 14 Games of the Season!!!
Bummer re; Lindgren leaving the game after taking a BRUTAL Boarding hit. Originally a Major Five Minute Penalty which would have been a Game Ejection, that was reduced to a Minor Penalty. We played the remainder of the game with five D. We had a 5 on 3 for a Minute with a minute of PP following that, but no dice and the Game remained with us down a goal at 2-3.
That remained the score until Laffy banged in his 2nd with 10 seconds remaining!!!

Messiah717

Great job considering it doesn't seem like they've played their best.  Fox and Chytil out along with Shesterkin for that matter.  Even Mika hasn't made his impact felt all that much. 

kartanoman

What a thriller of a game; however, they fell into the Columbus trap of letting them get physical and take control of the game. But it was the referees who did the most damage. First they did Lindgren a gross injustice by changing a boarding major to a minor. Lindgren wasn't heard from the rest of the game. The second, when the Rangers thought they tied the score at three each in the second period, disallowed the tying goal after a six and a half minute review.

It just looked like they were off a step tonight and Columbus has their number this year. But Laf's goal with 10 seconds left in the game restored faith in the magic of this season, so far, and going on to win in the shootout was a dream come true.

They can enjoy the week while getting ready for the Devils on Saturday.

Peace!

madbadger

Looks like Laffy has turned the corner. He's averaging pretty close to a point a game. Not getting much out of the first and second overall picks has hurt the franchise. Now if they can just get Kakko to pull his head out of his rear end they could be special.

DaveBrown74

I will raise my hand here and fully admit that (as recently as right before the start of this season), out of Laffy and Kakko, I had thought that if one of them took a leap forward and became materially more productive, it was more likely to be Kakko than Laffy. That looks to have been wrong. Laffy has flat out been one of our best players this year, and Kakko is an absolute ghost.