News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Justin Pugh signed to the active roster

Started by MightyGiants, October 18, 2023, 12:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

https://x.com/JordanRaanan/status/1714684450255057086?s=20

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan
Justin Pugh signed to the active roster on a one-year deal. He's still one of the options at left tackle, according to Brian Daboll. I'd be surprised if Pugh doesn't start there this week with Andrew Thomas (hamstring) still not practicing and Josh Ezeudu on IR.

#StraightOffTheCouch
12:46 PM · Oct 18, 2023
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

Man o Man did they miss diagnose the Thomas injury.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

Quote from: babywhales on October 18, 2023, 01:05:10 PMMan o Man did they miss diagnose the Thomas injury.

Chris,

Seeing how cagey the Giants are in terms of reporting injuries, I won't rule this out.   I think it may be more possible that Thomas suffered a setback during his treatment and rehab from the original hamstring injury.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Schoen didn't want to kick the tires on this guy earlier shows he isn't that good in assessing oline talent. Pugh (on limited) practice and game shape played pretty well on national tv off the coach.

One must wonder how would our line be if he began the season with us

DaveBrown74

Quote from: babywhales on October 18, 2023, 01:05:10 PMMan o Man did they miss diagnose the Thomas injury.

Sure seems that way. Wasn't this like a 1-2 week type thing (or even day to day) per the initial reporting?

uconnjack8

Seems like Thomas should have gone on IR.

Quote from: Trench on October 18, 2023, 02:26:44 PMSchoen didn't want to kick the tires on this guy earlier shows he isn't that good in assessing oline talent. Pugh (on limited) practice and game shape played pretty well on national tv off the coach.

One must wonder how would our line be if he began the season with us

Do we know what he was asking for a contract then?

Trench

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 18, 2023, 04:57:57 PMSeems like Thomas should have gone on IR.

Do we know what he was asking for a contract then?

Don't know and don't care. He would have been an instant upgrade at a position we identified as extremely problematic and raw

uconnjack8

Quote from: Trench on October 18, 2023, 04:59:45 PMDon't know and don't care. He would have been an instant upgrade at a position we identified as extremely problematic and raw

Well the guy in charge of the salary cap has to care about stuff like that. 

That logic is what brought the team Nate Solder.

MightyGiants

Bob Papa talked to Pugh on Monday.  Pugh's comment-  man am I sore
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: Trench on October 18, 2023, 04:59:45 PMDon't know and don't care. He would have been an instant upgrade at a position we identified as extremely problematic and raw

Sometimes Id be better off if I didnt read some posts  but since I did

Have you been following the cap situation at all?   Have you followed the Pugh situation at all??  Informed word is that Pugh wanted more than the vet minimum to sign.  JS rightly so said No, for a 33 year old player coming off major surgery who hasnt played in a year

Just today I had an exchange with a Giant fan and we both wondered where JS was getting the money to pay the two guys he signed off PS of the Falcs and Eagles   and that was BEFORE the news of the Pugh signing was announced

Then the Pugh signing was announced so it will be very interesting to see what he did sign for

I watched most of the game again and it is remarkable that Pugh played the way that he did.   I believe that he shocked most people--surely the Giants coaches  so JS did a reassement of the situation and signed him to the 53

Sounds like a pretty good business decision to me,,  but as I have said many many times  "What the hell do I know"

Dumpster Dan

Trench

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on October 18, 2023, 05:56:55 PMSometimes Id be better off if I didnt read some posts  but since I did

Have you been following the cap situation at all?   Have you followed the Pugh situation at all??  Informed word is that Pugh wanted more than the vet minimum to sign.  JS rightly so said No, for a 33 year old player coming off major surgery who hasnt played in a year

Just today I had an exchange with a Giant fan and we both wondered where JS was getting the money to pay the two guys he signed off PS of the Falcs and Eagles   and that was BEFORE the news of the Pugh signing was announced

Then the Pugh signing was announced so it will be very interesting to see what he did sign for

I watched most of the game again and it is remarkable that Pugh played the way that he did.   I believe that he shocked most people--surely the Giants coaches  so JS did a reassement of the situation and signed him to the 53

Sounds like a pretty good business decision to me,,  but as I have said many many times  "What the hell do I know"

Dumpster Dan

Thanks Dan,

My post did not literally mean I don't care. It means he's here now so I'm happy.

To your question, I know the cap was an issue but I was implying that Schoen should have done better homework knowing his Guard position was questionable at best and he SHOULD have signed Pugh early in free agency before he had cap issues.

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: Trench on October 18, 2023, 08:16:39 PMThanks Dan,

My post did not literally mean I don't care. It means he's here now so I'm happy.

To your question, I know the cap was an issue but I was implying that Schoen should have done better homework knowing his Guard position was questionable at best and he SHOULD have signed Pugh early in free agency before he had cap issues.

The problem with that is nobody knew the health of Pugh early in FA--remember their is a crisis in OL throughout the league and no other team took a swing at him either

Dumpster Dan

Ed Vette

The Cap hit for Justin Pugh will be $883K collectively, which includes his practice squad pay. His new contract puts him slightly over Vet minimum's full season pay with 11 games remaining.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on October 18, 2023, 08:44:15 PMThe problem with that is nobody knew the health of Pugh early in FA--remember their is a crisis in OL throughout the league and no other team took a swing at him either

Dumpster Dan

Great post!

Pugh sat unsigned by every team in the league for weeks because teams have learned that it's bad practice to commit precious cap space to injured players.

Also, as noted, Pugh wanted more money at the time. Schoen waited him out for his demands to drop - plus gave him additional time to get healthy - and then signed him at a reduced rate. Couldn't have handled it any better.

And I'm still skeptical Pugh will make it through the year - both from a health and a performance standpoint. But now that he's here on the minimum, it doesn't really matter.

Trench

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 19, 2023, 09:19:46 AMGreat post!

Pugh sat unsigned by every team in the league for weeks because teams have learned that it's bad practice to commit precious cap space to injured players.

Also, as noted, Pugh wanted more money at the time. Schoen waited him out for his demands to drop - plus gave him additional time to get healthy - and then signed him at a reduced rate. Couldn't have handled it any better.

And I'm still skeptical Pugh will make it through the year - both from a health and a performance standpoint. But now that he's here on the minimum, it doesn't really matter.

You could be right. Time will tel. My point was - if he plays well and settles this oline it tells us 4 things:

1. Schoen doesn't k ow how to assess oline men as well as we had hoped

2. You don't need an oline full of superstars to be successful

3. Never overlook the importance of veteran olinemen who can help gel and teach

4. Working together as a unit and coaching may have more to do with oline success than pure talent alone. Also, referees may be less inclined to toss flags with veteran lines (see Dallas, Tampa, Chiefs)