News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooners56

Figure out a way to draft Caleb Williams, QB position set for a long time.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

TDToomer

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 06, 2023, 12:05:51 PM2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 his first 4 years of college his season was cut short due to injury. He's now in year 6 but out of the 6 seasons he's only been healthy for 1 1/2 of those.

Absolute 100% hard pass. It also baffles me how college fans fall head of heals on a guy and crown him the next best thing. How is Stetson Bennett doing with the Rams? Mac Jones may not see contract #2.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Quote from: TDToomer on November 06, 2023, 01:40:17 PMAbsolute 100% hard pass. It also baffles me how college fans fall head of heals on a guy and crown him the next best thing. How is Stetson Bennett doing with the Rams? Mac Jones may not see contract #2.
I don't know that many thought Bennett or Jones were going to be great. Imo there's a big difference in a great college Qb and great NFL Qb. The two are not always mutually exclusive.

Dgoodmantrublu

No one thought Jones and Bennett were going to be great. Most people didn't think Bennett would even get drafted. Mac Jones was always thought of a borderline prospect. These guys aren't even in the same area code as the top prospects in this draft.

JT39

Buy these QBs:
Williams
Maye
Daniels
McCarthy

Sell:
Any other Pac 12 QB.
Riley Leonard
Spencer rattler
Dillon Gabriel

Interesting late rounder I have my eye on-
Michael Pratt from Tulane.

JT39

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 05, 2023, 07:32:16 PMWhy isn't Penix the #1 prospect?  Serious question.  Only seen him a couple of times and both times were impressive.  The physical talent is apparent. 

Reached his potential
Plays awful defenses
His stats against pressure are horrendous
Not mobile
No threat to run.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on November 06, 2023, 10:42:35 AMMany fans seem to be overanalyzing players or prospects in my opinion and drawing conclusions from only a few plays or a few games.  It's about an entire body of work.

Caleb Williams or any prospect will have a bad or great game.  Neither defines him or his game.

Example:  JJ McCarthy will play Penn State next week.  He may light them up or have a crap game.  Neither will define him as a QB but he will either be elevated or thrown to the junk pile by fans here after that game.  I guarantee it.

Phil: IMO it's one thing to say a guy still hasn't shown he's top-of-the-1st-round material.

It's another thing to say a guy is a definite "yes" or "no" at this time.

Regardless, the answer depends about 0% on what we think, though once in a while one or two of us get a difficult decision correct (is it through coincidence? luck? inside-info? general knowledge?.. probably doesn't matter). 

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

Quote from: JT39 on November 06, 2023, 03:16:46 PMAge
Injuries
Reached his potential
Plays awful defenses
His stats against pressure are horrendous
Not mobile
No threat to run.

Feels like this "deep" class is thinner than advertised.

Bob In PA

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 06, 2023, 03:28:20 PMFeels like this "deep" class is thinner than advertised.
uconn: You may have read me saying the same thing a few days ago.

Last year at this time we heard how "shallow" the 2023 draft class was and how "deep" the 2024 class would be.

The jury is still out but I'm eagerly awaiting the first round of 2024 to see what actually happens.

Bob

PS. I will say again AT THIS TIME I don't see a potential generational QB (one worth a high first-round pick).

JT39

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 06, 2023, 03:28:20 PMFeels like this "deep" class is thinner than advertised.

Don't get me wrong. He can be a starting QB. I just wouldn't spend a first rounder on him with that many red flags.

There's about 4-8 QBs where you ask 10 GMs their ranking and you'll get 10 different list with no consensus on who's where.

It's a quality draft for QBs. I think the ceiling on a few isn't quite high.

babywhales

After the past 11 seasons no draft pick will excite me until they step on the field and actually produce

That is what it has come to regarding the Giants.  
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Jclayton92

Quote from: JT39 on November 06, 2023, 03:14:04 PMBuy these QBs:
Williams
Maye
Daniels
McCarthy

Sell:
Any other Pac 12 QB.
Riley Leonard
Spencer rattler
Dillon Gabriel

Interesting late rounder I have my eye on-
Michael Pratt from Tulane.
Pratts not coming out he's going to transfer and make a ton playing for whatever playoff team needs a qb next year.

Bob In PA

I'd like to KEEP reminding everyone that there are a lot of instances of QB's taken in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds who proved to be top-flight franchise QB's.

Most are in the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

There was also at least one who was un-drafted.

Bob

PS. My point? ----> The issue of who truly deserves to go in the top of the 1st round is quite different from the issue of who becomes (or has potential to become) a true franchise QB. That's why the draft is such a crap-shoot.

bamagiantfan

So are you guys really gonna do this for the next 6 months? One of us is nuts.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

spiderblue43

Going to watch JJ McCarthy closely this  week vs.Penn State. Thoughts? :ok: