News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dabs may not survive this season,

Started by Ed Vette, November 12, 2023, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Daboll was considered a top tier offensive mind in Buffalo. That's not even up for debate. He was number one or two on the lists of every team that was hiring in 2022.

Either he suddenly forgot everything he knows about how to design and manage an offense, or the fact that he is dealing with Jones/Taylor/DeVito instead of Josh Allen has something to do with this offense's struggles. I appreciate Kafka plays into it as well and he may get replaced, but I doubt Mara will fire the reigning NFL coach of the year (and the whole staff) over one bad season where both of their QBs went down.

jgrangers2

Quote from: AYM on November 12, 2023, 06:07:18 PMOther than a mirage 6-1 start, what has Daboll done to earn a 3rd year? His offense stinks, the defense stinks, the offensive line is miserable, and he's looking pretty much the same as Judge, just without the press conference meltdowns.

The argument I've heard boils down to "we can't continue firing guys after their 2nd year".

But if we're bad enough to go QB in the first round, we're back on the carousel with a rookie QB and a coach on the hot seat. If we're going to start over at QB, let's start over at least with HC as well so their clocks are aligned and the franchise gets some direction.

Then if that coach and QB fail, we dump them and Schoen. I think that's the most reasonable scenario right now.

EDIT: I wouldn't fire anyone but the OL coach midseason though.

What were your expectations for the past two years? The roster isn't good and needed a reset in the most desperate way. I have absolutely no need to care about how somebody coaches a really bad roster. The ability to turn a 2-3 win team into a 6 win team is a useless skill. Winning 9 games last year was a downright bad thing and you will never convince me otherwise.

Stop looking for coaches to be magicians. At some point, you have to have the players to make it work and the Giants don't have anything remotely close to that. What we're seeing is frustrating in the short-term, but ultiamtely doesn't matter. The only question is what will Daboll do when he actually has the talent to win. Unfortunately, this league lacks patience and a lot of coaches get fired before we ever see that.

Brooklyn Dave

A new QB will not solve the myriad of problems this team has. What in God's name was Daboll thinking challenging the first play of the game on a very obvious catch and no fumble and he lost a timeout at the very beginning of the game. 

allieshermanghost

After todays game? Clean house and talk to Harbaugh about coming in and can coach as well as GM! Enough of amateur hour, were the Fn NY Giants!

spiderblue43

Talk about patience with Daboll..his own sideline is losing it having fits..coaches..players. etc.

I still think he will survive with the caveat that progress (roster upgrades..future young talent development/qb/ol..influx of new staff)) show next year.

Or he gone with Schoen.

ozzie

If the Giants are going to fire anybody it should be the entire medical staff.
Someone has to figure out why we lose more players to injury than any other team EVERY YEAR!!
It's just ridiculous!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Messiah717

Quote from: ozzie on November 12, 2023, 08:14:05 PMIf the Giants are going to fire anybody it should be the entire medical staff.
Someone has to figure out why we lose more players to injury than any other team EVERY YEAR!!
It's just ridiculous!

My brother asked me this earlier.  It's ridiculous.

spiderblue43

Quote from: Messiah717 on November 12, 2023, 08:15:39 PMMy brother asked me this earlier.  It's ridiculous.

Yes absolutely!!! It's chronic..but Barnes has been untouchable with Mara. I'd be screaming about their medical staff.  ~X(

Gmo11

We should all probably come to terms right now with the fact that every game Devito starts, which could very well be all of them, is going to look like some variation of this. There's nothing we or Daboll or Kafka or Harbaugh or Bill Walsh can do about it. Yes challenging that first play was idiotic. But did it change absolutely anything? No. They were going to lose this game by 30 from the opening coin toss.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jgrangers2

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 12, 2023, 08:23:03 PMWe should all probably come to terms right now with the fact that every game Devito starts, which could very well be all of them, is going to look like some variation of this. There's nothing we or Daboll or Kafka or Harbaugh or Bill Walsh can do about it. Yes challenging that first play was idiotic. But did it change absolutely anything? No. They were going to lose this game by 30 from the opening coin toss.

Tommy Devito is probably the worst QB that will take a snap this season and he's going to end up being our QB for the second half of the year. If your expectation is for this offense to look anything north of terrible most of the time, you need to be more realistic.

allieshermanghost

Why is Devito even on the roster? Thats the bigger problem!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: allieshermanghost on November 12, 2023, 08:38:35 PMWhy is Devito even on the roster? Thats the bigger problem!

There may be a tanking aspect to it. We could have had Wentz and opted not to, and the Rams then signed him.

I'm not suggesting we would have won either of our last two games with Wentz instead of DeVito, but there is no way these coaches can possibly think DeVito is the absolute best option they had including everyone out there on the street.

I guess the only rationale is the coaches are more comfortable with a lesser QB who knows the playbook than a slightly better one who doesn't.

babywhales

I think losing is the point. Schoen has personally scouted the QBs in contention for selection
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

umassgrad

Dabs was dealt a bad hand this season with injuries and a tough schedule but the glaring problem with his coaching is the behavior of his players and assistant coaches. Players are arguing with each other and some players are calling out coaches in the press. Today Dabs and Wink seemed to be questioning each other. He's seemed to have lost the team which usually leads to a firing. Where is the old Dabs fire on the sideline? He now seems to sulk on the sidelines, he looks whipped in the 1st quarter. He seems to have lost his confidence.