News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Elite and Franchise

Started by AZGiantFan, December 13, 2023, 09:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

We toss these terms around a lot when we talk about QBs.  But what exactly do we mean?

So, if I say the top X QBs are elite and the top Y QBs are franchise QBs, what are X and Y for you?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

In my opinion the top 6-8 Qbs are elite and then you have some franchise guys that are between 8-15 that could potentially jump into the top 10 any given year.

katkavage

There are just a few elite. Mahomes, Allen, Burrow. Some on the cusp of elite. Hurts, Herbert, Jackson, Lawrence, Purdy. Prescott is having an elite year. Tua is franchise but could graduate to elite. Stroud could become elite if next year is a repeat of this one.

Arodgers12

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 13, 2023, 09:40:17 AMIn my opinion the top 6-8 Qbs are elite and then you have some franchise guys that are between 8-15 that could potentially jump into the top 10 any given year.
Right now Mahomes is the best despite the struggles lately.

Arodgers12

Quote from: katkavage on December 13, 2023, 09:47:05 AMThere are just a few elite. Mahomes, Allen, Burrow. Some on the cusp of elite. Hurts, Herbert, Jackson, Lawrence, Purdy. Prescott is having an elite year. Tua is franchise but could graduate to elite. Stroud could become elite if next year is a repeat of this one.

I can't believe Stroud and his boys lost to the Jets.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 13, 2023, 09:40:17 AMIn my opinion the top 6-8 Qbs are elite and then you have some franchise guys that are between 8-15 that could potentially jump into the top 10 any given year.

I think this is pretty true. If anything the number of truly "elite" guys is below 6-8.

In fact, right here right now, the only QBs I would say are truly lock-down elite guys are (irrespective of how they're playing this year):

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen
Rodgers (when healthy, albeit he is fading)

My next list would be near-elite or "franchise" QBs, any of whom could be elite in a given year, or who could become lock-down elite in the future like the above guys:

(in no order):

Hurts
Lamar (close to elite and can be elite, but playoff record is
Dak
Tua
Cousins
Lawrence
Herbert (struggling this year but have seen enough and at his best I actually have him in the top group)
Stroud (I have seen enough to put him in this list)
Stafford (still very good when healthy)

Everyone not listed above is somewhere below those categories. Obviously you have some very young players like Anthony Richardson whom we don't have enough data on to really rate him, who could potentially rise up in future years, but I'm not going to list someone like that yet.

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

To me a franchise QB is one that is the face of the team and that a team builds around. Most of the QB's in this league are franchise QB's.

Elite is a word I don't throw around lightly. They are a generational talent for their team and are a clear cut above the rest over a career. Brady was elite, Rodgers, Favre, Montana, Aikman, Mahomes, Elway... Eli was not, Simms was not. They were excellent QB's but not elite. I think that Josh Allen is close but he has been a liability at times. Burrow is not there yet. For me Mahomes is the only Elite QB in the league right now. If Prescott turns his career around to play like he has so far this year, he could be elite, but he has crumbled under pressure in big games.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin