News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants "new" "old" strength and conditioning coach

Started by MightyGiants, January 17, 2024, 08:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Aaron Wellman was the Giants Strength and Conditioning coach from 2016 - 2019.  The results were mixed (considering they had to overcome Ronnie Barnes), but the only good injury years were under Wellman.  This sort of thing happens when you hire a QUALIFIED guy to run your S and C program.  The Giants are going from a guy with a BA in history to a guy with these educational credentials:

• Earned his degree in exercise science in 1996. Wellman added master's degrees from Indiana in applied sport science (1998) and nutrition science (2009), and his PhD (2018) from Bond University in Queensland, Australia.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

Let's hope this re-hiring will bring the desired result. This injury parade has got to stop.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

Quote from: ozzie on January 17, 2024, 09:45:36 AMLet's hope this re-hiring will bring the desired result. This injury parade has got to stop.

I would feel much more confident if this move was accompanied by an announcement that Ronnie Barnes was retiring.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

It would be nice to see the data cleaned to remove injuries with no real relation to strength and conditioning. 

First break up overuse from traumatic injuries. 

Overuse injuries (stress fractures, bursitis tendinitis, joint related stuff) should be listed as their own entity. 

Traumatic Injuries should be listed with subsections.  Fractures and concussions should not be listed with sprains, strains and tears. 

I think the data would be more inciteful allow a person more ability to determine what is simply unlucky vs what might be avoidable 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

kartanoman

Quote from: babywhales on January 17, 2024, 10:15:58 AMIt would be nice to see the data cleaned to remove injuries with no real relation to strength and conditioning.

First break up overuse from traumatic injuries.

Overuse injuries (stress fractures, bursitis tendinitis, joint related stuff) should be listed as their own entity.

Traumatic Injuries should be listed with subsections.  Fractures and concussions should not be listed with sprains, strains and tears.

I think the data would be more inciteful allow a person more ability to determine what is simply unlucky vs what might be avoidable

This is the right way to go about it. I would also recommend a root cause analysis where it makes sense to do so. This could help extract factors such as poor conditioning (i.e. tied closer to Rich's @MightyGiants argument), the turf, equipment malfunctions or possibly other factors.

In the end, it needs to be data-driven vs. finger-pointing so that proper countermeasures address the "right" problem statement which is drawn up at the outset.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 17, 2024, 08:44:14 AMAaron Wellman was the Giants Strength and Conditioning coach from 2016 - 2019.  The results were mixed (considering they had to overcome Ronnie Barnes), but the only good injury years were under Wellman.  This sort of thing happens when you hire a QUALIFIED guy to run your S and C program.  The Giants are going from a guy with a BA in history to a guy with these educational credentials:

• Earned his degree in exercise science in 1996. Wellman added master's degrees from Indiana in applied sport science (1998) and nutrition science (2009), and his PhD (2018) from Bond University in Queensland, Australia.

Thank you for the details on Aaron Wellman, Rich @MightyGiants . I can attest that Bond University in Australia is a reputable institution for producing Strength, Fitness and Health Coaches for the Australian Football League (AFL) and other Aussie Professional Sports.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on January 17, 2024, 02:08:54 PMThank you for the details on Aaron Wellman, Rich @MightyGiants . I can attest that Bond University in Australia is a reputable institution for producing Strength, Fitness and Health Coaches for the Australian Football League (AFL) and other Aussie Professional Sports.

Peace!

I did not know that (I just thought it was odd he went to Australia for his Ph.D).  Now I am feeling even better about the hire.   I thought it was interesting that he got his PhD while working for the Giants.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 17, 2024, 02:11:13 PMI did not know that (I just thought it was odd he went to Australia for his Ph.D.  Now I am feeling even better about the hire.   I thought it was interesting that he got his PhD while working for the Giants.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants paid for his education as well.

My Collingwood Magpies, who won the 2023 AFL Premiership, have a Health and Fitness Director whom the players swear was responsible for taking their performance to the best they've ever been in their career and their in-match fitness proved the difference in their 21 wins last season which yielded a first place finish on the AFL League Ladder and have blown away the league by winning more games by a goal (i.e. six points) or less, over the last two seasons. When injuries did hit the club, the next men up capably filled in with little to no drop off in performance. Again, superior conditioning was cited as a key reason for the sustained success.

So, finding a way to reduce lost man-games due to injury should always be a performance metric for the Giants' Operations organization to strive for. Avoiding injury in the first place is desirable but, oftentimes, not realistic due to the nature of the business. But another key performance indicator is establishing strength, conditioning and flexibility goals for each player, developing unique programs for each and having progress checks as well as making changes, if need be, in order to meet the target objectives. This is something we don't discuss very often but is critical to the wellness of every player. Wellman has done this in the past and will resume doing this for every player.

As far as putting one's education into action, this man has done it and done it very well. The management of players Health and Wellness, Strength and Performance, should improve under his watch.

Peace!

MightyGiants

https://x.com/DDuggan21/status/1748131724620374068?s=20

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
Reached out to a handful of players from Aaron Wellman's first stint as Giants strength coach. Heard nothing but rave reviews.

"Very knowledgeable strength coach," one player said. "He knew how to train our guys to help prevent injuries. When you were injured, he knew how to work with and around your injury."

Strength coach is an underrated position. It's arguably the second most important coach on a college football staff, which explains why Indiana ponied up to lure Wellman away four years ago. It's not *as* important in the NFL, but it's still the only coach aside from the HC who deals with every player on the roster.
6:54 PM · Jan 18, 2024
·
 Views

https://x.com/DDuggan21/status/1748137247352705080?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE