News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL and gambling- then and now

Started by MightyGiants, February 05, 2024, 12:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

uconnjack8

Didn't even know that about Karras and Hornung. 

Thought the Romo situation with the fantasy football was absolutely ridiculous on many levels. 

MightyGiants

What pisses me off is they fought states like NJ for 8 years to prevent them from legalizing sports gambling.  Then, when they finally lose the case (costing taxpayers a great deal of $$$), they embrace gambling with both hands.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Did anyone watch 60 Minutes yesterday. The 3rd segment was specifically about legalized gambling and how it's leading to a new wave of addiction for men between the ages of 25-35. They take aim at the marginally talented (my opinion) Kevin Hart for all his Draft Kings ads.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 05, 2024, 01:38:45 PMDid anyone watch 60 Minutes yesterday. The 3rd segment was specifically about legalized gambling and how it's leading to a new wave of addiction for men between the ages of 25-35. They take aim at the marginally talented (my opinion) Kevin Hart for all his Draft Kings ads.

For the life of me, I can't understand how gambling becomes addictive.   I know that science says that the gambling addict is chasing the rush of winning, but I never got that rush, not even remotely.  I just never got that rush.  For me, the best I can say is that gambling can be a mild diversion, but I don't think I ever received any sort of physical or significant psychological reward from winning.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 01:54:03 PMFor the life of me, I can't understand how gambling becomes addictive.   I know that science says that the gambling addict is chasing the rush of winning, but I never got that rush, not even remotely.  I just never got that rush.  For me, the best I can say is that gambling can be a mild diversion, but I don't think I ever received any sort of physical or significant psychological reward from winning.

Really? I can see it pretty easily. Just like anything else that provides a "high". Just because it's not addicting to me or you, all the elements are there. It's a no-brainer potential addiction draw.

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 01:54:03 PMFor the life of me, I can't understand how gambling becomes addictive.   I know that science says that the gambling addict is chasing the rush of winning, but I never got that rush, not even remotely.  I just never got that rush.  For me, the best I can say is that gambling can be a mild diversion, but I don't think I ever received any sort of physical or significant psychological reward from winning.

I have the same take on prescription opiates. They say it leads to addition but not once did I feel any sort of withdrawal symptoms after recovering from a surgery (I've had over a dozen). Like gambling you can't abuse it or let it control you and if you do it can be very harmful.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs