News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wink

Started by FL GMAN, February 05, 2024, 10:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL GMAN

Has he been hired by another team. I don't recall seeing anything and was curious.

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on February 05, 2024, 10:30:16 AMHas he been hired by another team. I don't recall seeing anything and was curious.

Wink is currently unemployed and NYG is currently without a DC (having been turned down by two of their targets).  Both sides came up losers in the drama.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 10:33:39 AMWink is currently unemployed and NYG is currently without a DC (having been turned down by two of their targets).  Both sides came up losers in the drama.
How are the Giants losers?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 05, 2024, 10:56:21 AMHow are the Giants losers?

If you believe that the Giants' 3rd choice for DC will be better than Wink, then I guess they are not.  I tend to think their 3rd choice will be a downgrade.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 11:08:21 AMIf you believe that the Giants' 3rd choice for DC will be better than Wink, then I guess they are not.  I tend to think their 3rd choice will be a downgrade.
That's the thing: I don't know. And no one will know until the guy is in the building and the season has been played. That's when we'll know if he is an upgrade to Wink.

Saying that the Giants lost is very premature.

TDToomer

I can understand thinking the Giants are losers in this situation in that they never fired Wink and wanted him back so his replacement may not be an upgrade. It was Wink who walked away from $3 million and now is looking at nothing which is a disaster for him (and his agent).
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

miss86

Quote from: TDToomer on February 05, 2024, 11:49:30 AMIt was Wink who walked away from $3 million and now is looking at nothing which is a disaster for him (and his agent).

This is what usually happens when you use emotions to make life decisions instead of a cool head.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 05, 2024, 11:24:42 AMThat's the thing: I don't know. And no one will know until the guy is in the building and the season has been played. That's when we'll know if he is an upgrade to Wink.

Saying that the Giants lost is very premature.

Tim,

While it's a long shot, their 3rd choice could potentially be as good or better than Wink.  There is still the needless disruption that changing DCs causes.  Players need to learn a new defense and not every player will be as good a fit as they were in Wink's system.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 12:00:15 PMTim,

While it's a long shot, their 3rd choice could potentially be as good or better than Wink.  There is still the needless disruption that changing DCs causes.  Players need to learn a new defense and not every player will be as good a fit as they were in Wink's system.
All valid points.  :ok:

Philosophers

The fact that nobody has picked up Wink says something about the talk he created his own sub-fiefdom within the defensive coaching staff while alienating others.

If true, no head coach would put up with that.  Shades of Buddy Ryan's bull$hit.

nb587

I have 2 thoughts about Wink not getting a job. First, I wonder if teams have figured out his defenses especially teams that have played him multiple times in a year or over the years.  Maybe his defenses are successful in large part because teams are not familiar with how to attack him or he had pretty good talent to begin with, I.e. the Ravens.

Second, maybe teams would rather pay much less to the new guy as opposed to $3 million (? ) to Wink with the hope he can do magic.  It occurs to me that the really experienced HCs who were not hired might or the high paid coordinators may be pricing themselves out of jobs.  The exception would be San Diego and Harbaugh where previously cheap owners decided to splurge

MightyGiants

Wink still has one last chance, he is in the mix for the Cowboy's job

https://x.com/BryanBroaddus/status/1754235750395027733?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Does anyone think the firing/resignation was more about not fitting in than the defensive calls he was making? Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

babywhales

The giants are an organization with the worst record in the NFC over the past decade

Their two coordinators are rumored as being unhappy and one left walking away from 3 mill to do so, while one is being forced to stay

Oh yea,  And they fired the Special Teams Coordinator

The head coach is considered on the hot seat and very honestly might have 1 season left

All that is going on while Bill Belichek is stating the organizational structure is a mess and coaches should stay away

The giants top two DC candidates Have turned them down

Wink has his own problems and of no concern of mine(good or bad) , but the Giants are most certainly losers in this situation
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S