News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants won't Tag Barkley

Started by EDjohnst1981, February 07, 2024, 10:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 07, 2024, 11:48:45 AMCM languished with the rebuilding Panthers and suddenly flourished with the uber-talented 49ers

I hardly think he 'languished' there. When he wasn't hurt, he was a highlight reel every game he played. Like Barkley, he played on terrible teams.
Send Barkley to a winning team and he will be just as good as McCaffery is with the Niners.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 07, 2024, 11:28:04 AMIt will be a very  sad day if Barkley leaves for another team. There are many intangibles that he brings to the team that cannot be valued strictly in monetary terms.

If Daniel Jones struggles next year without Barkley , supporters will say he has no running game nor a back who can catch the ball and make things happen , and you know what,  they will be correct .

Fix the OL line and keep Barkley !!!

I( agree with you 100% Dave. Numbers aren't the entire story of what a true team leader brings to the field, the locker  room and to many of the younger players.

Right now, Barkeley is the face of the Giants, get rid of him and we have no one who scares anyone.
As I said before, same as McCaffery with the Panthers, get Barkley to a team with a true offense, and he will be just, if not more, effective as several of the RBs already named. Yes, it is a pass-first league now, but anyone who thinks a good running game is passe is wrong.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

babywhales

Should have been traded last season prior to trade deadline, and then again this year. 

Letting picks walk away is a missed opportunity, especially for a team rebuilding. 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Painter

While through the 80s, it was quite common for Running Backs to be taken first, or second, if I'm not mistaken, when the Giants took Saquon with the 2nd overall pick in 2018, it was the highest in almost 30 years since the Bengals took Ki Jana Carter at numero uno and very soon to their regret.

While we don't know how a team or, the League in general, values RBs today, it is not nearly as much as it once was- relatively speaking. Citing examples of Christian McCaffery having been taken 8th overall or Jahmyr Gibbs 12th, tells little except in recent hindsight than does Jonathan Taylor- 2nd Round, David Montgomery- 3rd Round, Aaron Jones- 5th, Isiah Pacheco- 7th Round, etc.

While a team's decision may be rooted in foresight, the results are always measured in hindsight,  sometimes fruitfully, often much less so depending on expectation. I think we may get a taste of that in this week's Super Bowl via a comparison of the Niners- traded for- 1st Round, highest-paid McCaffrey vs the Chiefs very much less expensive 7th-Round Pacheco. Either way, it's not likely to have much influence on Barkley's future, other than in terms of money as compared to championship winning potential than was so with Jacobs and Bradshaw.

No! I don't think Barkley will be tagged for a second time.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on February 07, 2024, 11:32:08 AMWhile that's true, thinking like that probably contributes to the position the team is in right now.  I want the decision maker here to be ruthless in viewing value in monetary terms.  Paying more than value is not a recipe for a good team.  The mistake with Barkley, aside from Gettleman's moronic decision, was not unloading Barkley when he would have brought something back.  Thank you John Mara, the other moron we still have around.

I couldn't agree more with this post. Succumbing to emotion with these decisions is a flat out competitive disadvantage in a league with a stringent salary cap. Barkley is not the player he once was, and he cannot remotely be counted on from a durability perspective. Let someone else overpay him on name recognition. I like and respect him, and I hope he gets a big contract. Just not from us.

TDToomer

Quote from: babywhales on February 07, 2024, 03:36:40 PMShould have been traded last season prior to trade deadline, and then again this year.

Letting picks walk away is a missed opportunity, especially for a team rebuilding.

You think the Giants would have traded their starting RB after starting 6-2 in 2022?
The Giants have been walking away from their draft picks for over a decade. You can count on 1 hand the ones they have extended.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

There was an article at 33rd team that said the one free agent the Giants need to keep is Barkley.  I don't agree with their pick or justification

RB SAQUON BARKLEY
Paying top-flight money for a running back in free agency is usually a bad idea, especially for one with as many injuries and touches as Saquon Barkley. But the New York Giants aren't in a position to lose their best skill player.

They have arguably the NFL's worst group of receivers and hardly got any production from their tight ends. Another one-year deal makes sense for Barkley, as the Giants try to rebuild their offense this offseason.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/1-free-agent-each-nfl-team-must-re-sign-in-2024-offseason/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 08, 2024, 11:13:49 AMThere was an article at 33rd team that said the one free agent the Giants need to keep is Barkley.  I don't agree with their pick or justification

RB SAQUON BARKLEY
Paying top-flight money for a running back in free agency is usually a bad idea, especially for one with as many injuries and touches as Saquon Barkley. But the New York Giants aren't in a position to lose their best skill player.

They have arguably the NFL's worst group of receivers and hardly got any production from their tight ends. Another one-year deal makes sense for Barkley, as the Giants try to rebuild their offense this offseason.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/1-free-agent-each-nfl-team-must-re-sign-in-2024-offseason/

I mean I'm not sure I agree that a 1 year deal would make sense for Barkley. Would make more sense for the Giants I would say.