News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: The rich get richer

Started by AZGiantFan, February 23, 2024, 11:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

With a high-powered offense like the Chiefs, how much value does a punter really provide?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 23, 2024, 11:27:57 AMWith a high-powered offense like the Chiefs, how much value does a punter really provide?

Not really the point.

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on February 23, 2024, 12:25:18 PMNot really the point.

Okay, I am happy that the guy has been able to get his life back (if memory serves, he was falsely accused of sexual assault).  I was just responding to the title, "the rich get richer."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 23, 2024, 12:27:27 PMOkay, I am happy that the guy has been able to get his life back (if memory serves, he was falsely accused of sexual assault).  I was just responding to the title, "the rich get richer."

The rich get richer because they weren't cowards like the other 31 teams, and in particular our heros.  You'd think a team that was 26th in gross yards per punt could take a flier.

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Are we certain that none of the other 31 teams had interest in this player?

kartanoman

Good for Araiza. I wish him well.

In all fairness, the Scottish Hammer showed noticeable improvement from last year. If he continues to work on downing the ball closer to the 10 than the 20, and cut down on his touchbacks, I can live with his performance. His holding for the kickers (yes, plural) was much better this year.

Gillan is at the point now where he is no longer the liability he once was, and he has a bargain basement contract. If he improves from here, put him in the 40% percentile of punters' salary range and lock him down. He can kick 'em nearly as long as Araiza does, anyway. Plus, he's now a proven commodity.

It remains to be seen if the Chiefs have gotten "richer," per se, but they are going to have one helluva hard time, next season, in trying to three-peat. We watched the importance of special teams on the playoffs, so this acquisition may end up coming into play next season for making history. Who knows?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 23, 2024, 07:16:03 PMAre we certain that none of the other 31 teams had interest in this player?

The fact that the guy's been cleared for months and he has just been signed now is pretty indicative to me.

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 23, 2024, 11:27:57 AMWith a high-powered offense like the Chiefs, how much value does a punter really provide?

Last year they were a middle of the road offense with a top 5 defense.  I think the ability to change field position is paramount with that sort of scenario.

That being said, if KC is able to find a really good WR they will likely be a top 10 offense quickly