News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are the worst and best case scenarios for NYG?

Started by MightyGiants, April 13, 2024, 10:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I am talking round one, but feel free to expand on the question.

What do you see as the best-case (realistic) and worst-case (realistic) scenarios on how the draft plays out in round one for the Giants?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

we trade down a bit in round one and still get one of the 3 best wr's or a truly stud OL.  then with the other pick in the trade down, we get another starter.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Jolly Blue Giant

Worst case scenario: The top 3 WRs are off the board, and we draft a QB and then wait two or three years to find out if we got it right. As Bruce Feldman pointed out in this morning's video - "more than 50% of QBs taking at the top of the draft, flame out"

Best case scenario
: Four QBs and an OT come off the board with the first 5 picks and Harrison lands in our lap!
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Really tough question to answer, because what one sees as "bad" or "good" in the immediate days following the draft may look completely different three years later.

For example, I felt great about Evan Neal and great about Thibodeaux. I now feel terrible about Evan Neal and good but not necessarily quite great about Thibodeaux. Clearly there are other examples we can come up with.

If we're going just by how I'm going to feel in early May about everything, I'll take my best shot:

Best case: One of the top four QBs falls to the six spot and it happens to be someone our front office had a very high grade on.

Worst case: We end up with an O lineman, a defensive player, or Bowers and don't get any QB in this draft, forcing us to go into the season with a hobbled Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Tommy DeVito, and a highly suspect cast of offensive skill players.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 13, 2024, 10:40:13 AMReally tough question to answer, because what one sees as "bad" or "good" in the immediate days following the draft may look completely different three years later.

For example, I felt great about Evan Neal and great about Thibodeaux. I now feel terrible about Evan Neal and good but not necessarily quite great about Thibodeaux. Clearly there are other examples we can come up with.

If we're going just by how I'm going to feel in early May about everything, I'll take my best shot:

Best case: One of the top four QBs falls to the six spot and it happens to be someone our front office had a very high grade on.

Worst case: We end up with an O lineman, a defensive player, or Bowers and don't get any QB in this draft, forcing us to go into the season with a hobbled Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, Tommy DeVito, and a highly suspect cast of offensive skill players.

That is pretty much how I feel. Whether the Giants go the easy, safe route and not get a top young QB prospect will, to me, just reinforce how stodgy and stuck in the the past the organization is. But if they do gamble on a QB in the first round, we fans won't know the results, good or bad, for at least a couple of years. In any case, whoever they choose won't impact 2024 much. It's beyond 2024 that matters most.

andrew_nyGiants

Absolute best case:

Trade down and stay inside the top 15 garnering either a 2nd and 4th this draft or a 3rd in this and a 1st next year.

With the pick we traded for, a top 10 receiver or a top 3 OL.

Worst case:

Trade up for a QB, giving up a 3rd this year and at least a 1st pick next year.

When the chances are low (IMO) that any of their choices are franchise changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Philosophers

Best - trade back and still get your QB plus a first next year and a mid-round this year.

Worst - trade up and give up draft capital.

brownelvis54

Best case scenario: Draft a high impact player that will rank one of the best at whatever position he plays at.

Worst case scenario: Trade back too far and miss out a high impact player
The KING is in the building

Jclayton92

Worst case: Going into year 6 of a backup Qb being our Qb.

Best case: The draft falls like this
Bears- Williams
Commanders- Mccarthy Reasoning is that Peter's was Asst GM with the 49ers for the past 6 years and saw what Qbs that they went for, Garrapolo and Purdy etc, he may see a supercharged Purdy.
Patriots-take one of the two remaining
Giants-took whoever is left between Maye and Daniels doing kart wheels to the podium with the 4th overall pick that they get from AZ for a 2024 1st, 2nd, and 2025 1st.

londonblue

Our worst case is that whoever we pick at 6 does not work out. It is not all that unlikely given Thibodeaux is good but not (yet) great, a double not a home run. Neal is bad (so far). Another mistake gets magnified if the pick is a QB as it will delay hope for at least three more years.

Our best case is whoever we pick justifies their draft slot and has a long career with us including multiple all-pro recognition. If they are a QB it has a multiplier effect but an all-pro at WR or CB still makes us better.

Fingers crossed we hit a home run with whatever pick we make and they help raise our level.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 13, 2024, 02:37:19 PMWorst case: Going into year 6 of a backup Qb being our Qb.

Best case: The draft falls like this
Bears- Williams
Commanders- Mccarthy Reasoning is that Peter's was Asst GM with the 49ers for the past 6 years and saw what Qbs that they went for, Garrapolo and Purdy etc, he may see a supercharged Purdy.
Patriots-take one of the two remaining
Giants-took whoever is left between Maye and Daniels doing kart wheels to the podium with the 4th overall pick that they get from AZ for a 2024 1st, 2nd, and 2025 1st.

If any QB falls to 6....I would be willing to bet its Maye.

Ed Vette

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 13, 2024, 03:09:52 PMIf any QB falls to 6....I would be willing to bet its Maye.

From your keyboard to God's eyes.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

brownelvis54

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 13, 2024, 03:29:48 PMFrom your keyboard to God's eyes.

Ed, it will not surprise me if Chicago takes Daniels with the #1 pick. Either way, Washington will take Daniels or Williams.

1-Williams to Chicago

2-Daniels to Washington

3-New England takes McCarthy

4-Arizona takes Harrison Jr

5-Chargers take Nabers

Thats how I see it

Ed Vette

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 13, 2024, 03:39:48 PMEd, it will not surprise me if Chicago takes Daniels with the #1 pick. Either way, Washington will take Daniels or Williams.

1-Williams to Chicago

2-Daniels to Washington

3-New England takes McCarthy

4-Arizona takes Harrison Jr

5-Chargers take Nabers

Thats how I see it
So no trade up by any other teams? Minnesota needs a QB and the Raiders too.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 13, 2024, 03:43:25 PMSo no trade up by any other teams? Minnesota needs a QB and the Raiders too.
I see NE as the best trade partner for Minnesota. Their roster is the worst in the NFL. A rookie QB will struggle like Bryce Young this past year. They have so many holes and need draft capital. Arizona and/or Chargers lose our on the top receivers if they trade back. Don't see them doing that unless it's with the Giants.