News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Photography

Started by LennG, July 22, 2020, 06:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

Thanks Lenn. I now have all 12 months represented!!  :yes: :laugh:
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on August 08, 2020, 10:11:01 PM
One thing further if anyone is looking at buying a camera or any gear for that matter be it lens', flashes, tripods or whatever let's discuss it.  Someone here might have a different perspective about it.  For example, I purchased a used nikon D5300 around 2017 through Amazon.  Loved the camera did great with it but I saw a deal for the Nikon D7200 which was a significant upgrade from the D5300.  Nikon was closing out the D7200 and had placed a significant reduction on it's price.  I went to MPB which is a reputable company that deals with buying and selling of used equipment.  They gave me a quote on the D5300 that was good so off went the camera along with an old D60 that I had.  They examined it and found the sensor to be scratched which meant that the camera was worthless.  They took the D60 off my hands at a decent price but not the D5300.  I believe that the camera sensor was scratched when I got it used through Amazon but can't prove it.  It was one of those secondary companies that Amazon deals with where you think you are buying online from Amazon but you are not dealing with them directly.  From now on I only deal with 2 companies for cameras, B&H Photo and Adorama the official camera store of the NY Giants.  The D7200 was new when I got it from B&H and was under warranty when I got it.

Buyer beware.  I say all this because if someone here is planing on investing in something that cost a lot maybe someone here has had dealings with whomever and could help and guide in the correct direction.  Also, we may have experience with buying certain products and can help so if anyone needs any advice please feel free to raise any questions you may have.

By the way this has not stopped me from looking at equipment.  I just got new flash equipment and will be working with that to learn the use of it.  Just another fun thing to do.  Also, going forward I will be looking to get into full frame mirrorless cameras and may even make a switch to a Sony which is considered to be the best of mirrorless.  In the next 5 years most pros and hobbyist will have moved to mirrorless it is not will but when they will make the switch.  What can be done with the newer cameras are remarkable and Sony right now has at least a two year advantage over Nikon and Cannon.  The Sony auto focus system is some of the most remarkable camera equipment out there.  Nikon and Cannon are hurting.  They lost out on the low end camera market when the cell phone moved in and took over that part of the market and when Sony came out with the advancements in mirrorless that was another area they lost.  There market is being cut at both ends and they may have nowhere to go.

Interesting about SONY. The only problem I see with that is you would have to use it as a secondary camera or go out and start buying a stock of lenses for it. I seriously doubt they would make a camera with an adoptor to use other manufacturers lenses? That's why I stayed with a Canon, even when I went in for a Nikon, because I had a slew of lenses for a Canon and the money saved, there would be minimal differerence between the Nikon and the Canon.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on August 09, 2020, 09:05:30 AM
Thanks Lenn. I now have all 12 months represented!!  :yes: :laugh:

Just make me a copy also.    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Shoelessjoe

Quote from: LennG on August 09, 2020, 12:32:32 PM
Interesting about SONY. The only problem I see with that is you would have to use it as a secondary camera or go out and start buying a stock of lenses for it. I seriously doubt they would make a camera with an adapter to use other manufacturers lenses? That's why I stayed with a Canon, even when I went in for a Nikon, because I had a slew of lenses for a Canon and the money saved, there would be minimal difference between the Nikon and the Canon.

You are correct about the Nikon and Canon brand and the fact that there are millions of users of each brand that have lens and other accessories that users will not want to change because of the cost.  I fall under that category.  Keep in mind, the lens mount is different for a DSLR and a mirrorless so much of the old lens will no longer be transferable without an adapter and people might not want to go that route.

I currently have 3 lens' that fit the nikon f mount.  I've already looked into a trade in for my D7200 camera ($380) and ($615) for a Sigma 150-600 mm lens.  Thats close to $1000 to be applied to my next camera.  The Sony A7R II camera body can be bought for $1,398 today.  I've been looking at a Tamron 28-75 mm f2.8 for between $750 to $850.  Changing moves me to not only the mirrorless body but also to a full frame system.  I'm waiting for the holidays when camera companies have special sales.  If the price is right I might make the move. 

The camera market is shrinking for both Nikon and Canon but more so nikon as Canon has other businesses that can pump up the bottom line.  Nikon might not have any other alternative but to sell or merge their brand with another company.  Don't be surprised if you see a take over of Nikon by a company like Samsung.  Either way I don't see Nikon as a viable player in the camera market for much longer.  They are projected to be in the red for this year before the pandemic and who knows where there future now lies.  Out of the top 3 of Canon, Nikon and Sony it is Sony with its diversified business lines that can absorb a shrinking camera market and stay viable.

One last thought, the first thing that a company that is in the red does is cut cost and that normally translates into cutting staff and also R&D.  If you cut these two things you decrease your chances of coming out with new and creative ideas that allow you to catch up or move ahead of your competition.

LennG

Today's group of pic are of sunsets, where I can fill a decade worth of calendars. There is simply nothing better than a great sunset to get a photographers juices flowing (and anyone else, for that matter). As I have said, since we do cruise a lot, being on a ship in the middle of an ocean, or where ever, can create some amazing sunsets, as it is so easy to watch the sun set right on the horizen. But also, the way the sun goes behind clouds, the cloud formations and the type of clouds, all can make a good sunset, a truly memoribale one. The colors change so much as the sun sets, giving off a palete of colors.  If anyone has ever seen the movie 'Teahouse of the August Moon', it is about people wanting to build a Teashouse so they can watch the sunset every night. That is exactly how my wife and I feel. If it is possible to watch a sunset, we will do whatever is necessary to make that happen. WE LOVE sunsets.

As I said, I can fill 20 books of pixs with sunsets, so here are just a few,

Charlie Weiss

Jim143

I just hate when you
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

Jim143

8 and a half of the 11 jars of Peach Jam I made this morning.  I have peach cobbler cookies waiting to go in the oven as soon as the Swedish Meatballs come out

"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

LennG

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on August 09, 2020, 01:55:51 PM
You are correct about the Nikon and Canon brand and the fact that there are millions of users of each brand that have lens and other accessories that users will not want to change because of the cost.  I fall under that category.  Keep in mind, the lens mount is different for a DSLR and a mirrorless so much of the old lens will no longer be transferable without an adapter and people might not want to go that route.

I currently have 3 lens' that fit the nikon f mount.  I've already looked into a trade in for my D7200 camera ($380) and ($615) for a Sigma 150-600 mm lens.  Thats close to $1000 to be applied to my next camera.  The Sony A7R II camera body can be bought for $1,398 today.  I've been looking at a Tamron 28-75 mm f2.8 for between $750 to $850.  Changing moves me to not only the mirrorless body but also to a full frame system.  I'm waiting for the holidays when camera companies have special sales.  If the price is right I might make the move. 

The camera market is shrinking for both Nikon and Canon but more so nikon as Canon has other businesses that can pump up the bottom line.  Nikon might not have any other alternative but to sell or merge their brand with another company.  Don't be surprised if you see a take over of Nikon by a company like Samsung.  Either way I don't see Nikon as a viable player in the camera market for much longer.  They are projected to be in the red for this year before the pandemic and who knows where there future now lies.  Out of the top 3 of Canon, Nikon and Sony it is Sony with its diversified business lines that can absorb a shrinking camera market and stay viable.

One last thought, the first thing that a company that is in the red does is cut cost and that normally translates into cutting staff and also R&D.  If you cut these two things you decrease your chances of coming out with new and creative ideas that allow you to catch up or move ahead of your competition.

I agree Frank, but I would attribute the decline in these cameras with the fact that phones and tablets have improved so much. For the average picture takers, a good phone will do the trick, They take remarkable pix when you consider people are using their phones. AND as the dinosaurs like us leave this planet, do we really think the younger gneration will spend the money on these type of cameras, unless they are truly serious into photography. There will always be a market for 'real' cameras' but it will get less and less as phones improve more and more.
When I ask some one to take a pix of me and the missus, I always look for someone with what I call a 'real' camera and not a phone. When I take pix I always look thru the eyepiece, as I'm sure you do also,. I have seen some people I have asked before, to take a pix of us, looking at the screen, not understanding that they have to look thru the eye piece and not even knowing where to look.
That's why I usually carry a tripod with me.

Charlie Weiss

Jim143

This came up in a Facebook memory today.  This is Moses.  We lost him almost 2 years ago.  He is in his cage because he stole (and ate) an entire plate of a new chocolate chip cookie recipe I was trying.  Sadly, for the life of me, I can not remember what recipe it was. . .I miss this dog.  He was a recuse that was severely abused, obviously by women.  We thought he was about a year of so when we recused him.  He was actually about 3 1/2.  The reason I say "obviously by women" - I could do anything I wanted to him.  My wife, even with a mild child like voice, he would cower and pee.  I just hope he knows he was loved and had a good home for his last 5 years or so.

Jim143

5 weeks after we lost Moses, we lost Sophie, our other GSD.  I wasn't ready to get another, but I needed to be around them.  We still had Ginger, but she is a couch potato (other than Ball Play).  She doesn't really like to go on walking adventures like Moses did.  So, I volunteered at the local Animal Control, walking dogs, playing with them and getting their pictures out so someone could rescue them.

Here are some of the ones I worked with and have since been rescued:

Jim143

Here are more puppies I worked with:

Ginger - I would have taken her home in a heartbeat but she did not like cats.  I pray I never find her abuser. . .he/she cut off her ears!!!

Emmett Gray was awesome.  Always had to have a ball.  If one was not in his kennel, he would find one outside and take it everywhere with him

Hawaii - He didnt last long.  He was as gentle a Dobie as I ever saw.  He was scooped up by a Dobie rescue group.

Jim143

Which brings us to Odin.  He was about 9 months old and it was "puppy season".  Heidi came with me a few times and sit with and help puppies socialize.  He came over and just put his head on her leg.  So the next week, I went and sat with him.

Now a little over a year, he go everywhere together.  He loves riding in the vehicles, we walk down the little main street of town, down to the pier and when we aren't out on an adventure, we usually walk 2 - 3 miles a day around the neighborhood.

I just wish he felt comfortable in the house:

Shoelessjoe

Quote from: LennG on August 09, 2020, 02:15:11 PM
I agree Frank, but I would attribute the decline in these cameras with the fact that phones and tablets have improved so much. For the average picture takers, a good phone will do the trick, They take remarkable pix when you consider people are using their phones. AND as the dinosaurs like us leave this planet, do we really think the younger gneration will spend the money on these type of cameras, unless they are truly serious into photography. There will always be a market for 'real' cameras' but it will get less and less as phones improve more and more.
When I ask some one to take a pix of me and the missus, I always look for someone with what I call a 'real' camera and not a phone. When I take pix I always look thru the eyepiece, as I'm sure you do also,. I have seen some people I have asked before, to take a pix of us, looking at the screen, not understanding that they have to look thru the eye piece and not even knowing where to look.
That's why I usually carry a tripod with me.

Lenn, I feel that the cell phone camera is the perfect camera for the portion of the public that doesn't want to get into or understand the art and science of camera.  They get a phone and they don't have to buy a camera.  It makes perfect sense to me.  I could go into the differences but it doesn't make any sense to do so.  I like to print my better photos.  To me it is more of what I like to do.  If you print the quality of the picture matters.  If you post online like here or on social media then the resolution isn't as important.  The point is cameras are becoming a smaller specialty consumer product industry and the players are going to be fewer and fewer.  In my opinion, less competition results in higher prices and less innovation which is bad for the consumer.

Jim143

Here are some more

LennG

I have said this over and over, that we live to travel. We do many 'road trips' each year, spending a week here and there all the time. BUT, where ever we travel we have one commandment, enjoy where we are. Where ever we are, we always take the time to what I call 'stop and smell the roses' even if it is in winter. When we do road trips, we load up the car and always travel with a couple of chairs, so when we feel the need to stop and jist gaze at where we are, we do just that. It could be a picnic lunch, or just a break to sit for an hour and take in where we are and 'smell those roses'. Sometimes it is with our chairs, sometimes a bench in a park, by the side of the road, or anywhere we can just get out of the car and enjoy where we are.

With that said, I thought maybe you might enjoy smelling those roses with us. I know most know what I look like but here we are enjoying the 'good' life

We stopped at this wonderful lake in New Hampshire

Riding along the coast of Maine, a great bench for lunch and a view

At just a great place in the Shenandoah Mountains, a stop at an overlook for lunch and a view

A bench on a mountain overlook, a great chance to just chill out

Hey we aren't afraid to get our feet wet at a great spot along a river

And we were walking in Newport RI, and along the Cliff Walk they have all these mansions. Well one had some chairs out and we took advantage of them

Come on and join us next time

Charlie Weiss