News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Front Porch we are stopping politics but we will allow current affairs topics

Started by jimmyz, May 17, 2021, 11:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyz

Does that includes posts like....

"Gosh, did you guys hear about that mass shooting at the synagogue?  This is not in any way political but can we put gun owners in jail already for being a threat to my life?"

There is nothing more disingenuous when someone says..."Not trying to be political, but..."

Or is the rule that all I have to do is preface my political rant with the aforementioned to get admin approval?
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

Bob In PA

Jimmy: It's hard to define where the line will be drawn... and it is possible we will have trouble doing so.  We'll see.  Nevertheless, someone will draw a line.

Importantly, we are not a group of dumb-bells. Each of us has his a good idea what political opinions are.  To me, some events involve legal issues... and some involve political issues. 

They are two different things.  Even though they frequently seem to overlap, there is a subtle but definable distinction.

In any event, exercise your best judgment but be prepared for disagreement about what should stay and what should go.

I know it's hackneyed to say "it's nothing personal" but that is actually true here, a lot more than in "real life."  A large number of us do not know each other... so it's actually NOT personal in that sense.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 17, 2021, 12:08:39 PM
Jimmy: It's hard to define where the line will be drawn... and it is possible we will have trouble doing so.  We'll see.  Nevertheless, someone will draw a line.

Importantly, we are not a group of dumb-bells. Each of us has his a good idea what political opinions are.  To me, some events involve legal issues... and some involve political issues. 

They are two different things.  Even though they frequently seem to overlap, there is a subtle but definable distinction.

In any event, exercise your best judgment but be prepared for disagreement about what should stay and what should go.

I know it's hackneyed to say "it's nothing personal" but that is actually true here, a lot more than in "real life."  A large number of us do not know each other... so it's actually NOT personal in that sense.

Bob

Bob,

The part in bold is pretty much key.   We all have a pretty good idea of what is and isn't political.    It's also not hard to see that Jimmy, wants to test the limits, like the class troublemaker with a new teacher.   His first post in response to our request is a post that talks about Donald Trump, the 2016 election, the Steele Dossier, and the popular political pastime of media bashing. 

Jimmy,

Why are you acting out?  We decided to try and be non-political.  Why are you going out of your way to be disruptive and try and ruin people's opportunity to talk about current affairs minus the politics?????

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

Bob,

I was obviously being sarcastic.  And I do think it is personal in the sense that if you belong to this message board's inner circle and you have the correct political views, your political threads will be looked upon as nothing more than a caring member of society.

In the case of harmless ol' XXXXX, he posted several threads that were political whether he wanted them to be or not and has also engaged heavily in political threads so when I hear 'guys I'm not being pollitical' I find it tough to believe and XXXXX gets the shield from the Admin cadre. 

There is a double standard.  Some people get to express their political opinions and get the doggy treat, others get shouted at.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 17, 2021, 12:15:03 PM
Bob,

The part in bold is pretty much key.   We all have a pretty good idea of what is and isn't political.    It's also not hard to see that Jimmy, wants to test the limits, like the class troublemaker with a new teacher.   His first post in response to our request is a post that talks about Donald Trump, the 2016 election, the Steele Dossier, and the popular political pastime of media bashing. 

Jimmy,

Why are you acting out?  We decided to try and be non-political.  Why are you going out of your way to try and ruin people's opportunity to talk about current affairs minus the politics?????
Rich: Read my reply to his post. It's all about how you respond to the post, not necessarily the post itself.  In other words, although many unacceptable posts are possible, the topic can proceed without them, IMO. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimmyz on May 17, 2021, 12:17:19 PM
Bob,

I was obviously being sarcastic.  And I do think it is personal in the sense that if you belong to this message board's inner circle and you have the correct political views, your political threads will be looked upon as nothing more than a caring member of society.

In the case of harmless ol' XXXXX, he posted several threads that were political whether he wanted them to be or not and has also engaged heavily in political threads so when I hear 'guys I'm not being pollitical' I find it tough to believe and XXXXX gets the shield from the Admin cadre. 

There is a double standard.  Some people get to express their political opinions and get the doggy treat, others get shouted at.

Jimmy

Go to the mask-wearing thread.  What you did there, is a perfect example of what not to do
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 17, 2021, 12:27:56 PM
Jimmy

Go to the mask-wearing thread.  What you did there, is a perfect example of what not to do

Rich,

Have you seen Rachel Maddow's latest insane plea for compassion for those who have been 'wired' to castigate non-mask wearers as a selfish threat?  It's disgusting.

I don't care if it seems political or not.  I am going to point out the weird tone deaf hypocrisy. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimmyz on May 17, 2021, 12:53:42 PM
Rich,

Have you seen Rachel Maddow's latest insane plea for compassion for those who have been 'wired' to castigate non-mask wearers as a selfish threat?  It's disgusting.

I don't care if it seems political or not.  I am going to point out the weird tone deaf hypocrisy.

This is why I told you that you should stay away from politics, it's become an obsession.   It doesn't bring out a particularly good version of yourself.    Look, it's your right as an American to watch as much FOX News or News Max or whatever your right-wing news channel of choice is.  It's also the right of everyone here NOT to watch it and if we choose not to watch it at least on these forums we don't have to listen to you (or anyone else) repeating what you saw.   

Some of us would like to be able to have discussions without political causes or talking points or political agendas being shoved down our throats.   

Is it really that hard for you to respect the forum's wishes?    Leave your politics at the door, please 

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bldevil

I noticed that my post on the Lab Leak Hypothesis thread appears to be the last post before a bunch of threads were locked.  I hope what I said there wasn't out of bounds.

Regardless, thank you to Mighty and all the moderators who try their best to keep the forum open in whatever version they think will serve the intended community best.  I know you can't meet all our idiosyncratic preferences simultaneously.  I understand that and appreciate that. 
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

MightyGiants

Quote from: bldevil on May 17, 2021, 01:41:00 PM
I noticed that my post on the Lab Leak Hypothesis thread appears to be the last post before a bunch of threads were locked.  I hope what I said there wasn't out of bounds.

Regardless, thank you to Mighty and all the moderators who try their best to keep the forum open in whatever version they think will serve the intended community best.  I know you can't meet all our idiosyncratic preferences simultaneously.  I understand that and appreciate that.

Your comments were good, the thread itself was very political though.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 17, 2021, 01:03:01 PM
This is why I told you that you should stay away from politics, it's become an obsession.   It doesn't bring out a particularly good version of yourself.    Look, it's your right as an American to watch as much FOX News or News Max or whatever your right-wing news channel of choice is.  It's also the right of everyone here NOT to watch it and if we choose not to watch it at least on these forums we don't have to listen to you (or anyone else) repeating what you saw.   

Some of us would like to be able to have discussions without political causes or talking points or political agendas being shoved down our throats.   

Is it really that hard for you to respect the forum's wishes?    Leave your politics at the door, please

Really?  I think you love getting political and bringing your own sense of authority into the conversation.  And I think you enjoy trying to shout people down.  I think you enjoy preaching and you don't like it when anyone pushes back on you.

I'm laughing right now as I read your "Jimmy, the forum doesnt want your constant disruptions" as if to put me at odds with the silent disapproving majority around here.  You've tried many times to play this "jimmy, we are decent people and we'd like you to stop being unruly" shaming tactic. 

a. When are you gonna realize that I have no shame? 
b. When are you gonna stop participating in conversations that you claim to have no interest engaging in?

If people don't want the politics from me then they are free to use the ignore button.  For some reason, those who have threatened to use that button on me in the past somehow still manage to cite and refer to my posts.  Why, if one hates my divisive politics, do they continue to tune in?

I just don't believe you.

BTW...I've already told you several times that I do not watch Fox news and I have never even seen News Max.  I don't know why you insist on throwing those news source at me as if that's where I get my information....no wait, I do, its to discredit me...because you have a stake in your political beliefs being legitimized.  It's all politics and you engage in it.   

jimmyz

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 17, 2021, 01:58:54 PM
Your comments were good, the thread itself was very political though.

Wait a minute, how was bldevil's comments good when they seem to suggest that maybe we do need to look at the lab leak hypothesis as a real possibility when you shouted at me for not 'knowing how science works' for saying the same thing?

Ahhh.....the hypocrisy is strong in you.

I don't begrudge bldevils comments.  He was saying the same as me just not in a polarizing way but I thought you had a way with facts that allows you to cut thru political BS and get to the actual heart of the matter.  I guess your self assessment aint too accurate.

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimmyz on May 17, 2021, 02:07:43 PM
Really?  I think you love getting political and bringing your own sense of authority into the conversation.  And I think you enjoy trying to shout people down.  I think you enjoy preaching and you don't like it when anyone pushes back on you.

I'm laughing right now as I read your "Jimmy, the forum doesnt want your constant disruptions" as if to put me at odds with the silent disapproving majority around here.  You've tried many times to play this "jimmy, we are decent people and we'd like you to stop being unruly" shaming tactic. 

a. When are you gonna realize that I have no shame? 
b. When are you gonna stop participating in conversations that you claim to have no interest engaging in?

If people don't want the politics from me then they are free to use the ignore button.  For some reason, those who have threatened to use that button on me in the past somehow still manage to cite and refer to my posts.  Why, if one hates my divisive politics, do they continue to tune in?

I just don't believe you.

BTW...I've already told you several times that I do not watch Fox news and I have never even seen News Max.  I don't know why you insist on throwing those news source at me as if that's where I get my information....no wait, I do, its to discredit me...because you have a stake in your political beliefs being legitimized.  It's all politics and you engage in it.   

Jimmy,

You can look down this page and you will not see any political posts from me.   I provided balance when you and a few others tried to turn the Front Porch into FOX News the BBH addition, but all in all I am more than happy not to have to deal with the political nonsense.

Look at how you are behaving because of politics.     You are one of the founding members who joined on May 26, 2007.  In those 14 years, you have been nothing but a perfect gentleman on the football forum.   

Yet let the topic turn to politics and suddenly Mr. Hyde appears.   You attack me you attack Len, you can't keep politics out of non-political threads, and you challenge the rule changes.   Do you forget the ugly profanity-filled PMs you sent me?   How about how you and a couple of the other members who have met me gossiped about me and you decided that you learned secrets about me that you could use to hurt me.   That is not how a normal good human being behaves, but that is what politics brings out in you.

You are a founding member and a valued member.   Your posts on football and non-football topics are first-rate.   What is your obsession with feeling the need to show us the ugly side that comes out when you start talking about politics?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 17, 2021, 02:32:58 PM

Jimmy,

You can look down this page and you will not see any political posts from me.   I provided balance when you and a few others tried to turn the Front Porch into FOX News the BBH addition, but all in all I am more than happy not to have to deal with the political nonsense.

Look at how you are behaving because of politics.     You are one of the founding members who joined on May 26, 2007.  In those 14 years, you have been nothing but a perfect gentleman on the football forum.   

Yet let the topic turn to politics and suddenly Mr. Hyde appears.   You attack me you attack Len, you can't keep politics out of non-political threads, and you challenge the rule changes.   Do you forget the ugly profanity-filled PMs you sent me?   How about how you and a couple of the other members who have met me gossiped about me and you decided that you learned secrets about me that you could use to hurt me.   That is not how a normal good human being behaves, but that is what politics brings out in you.

You are a founding member and a valued member.   Your posts on football and non-football topics are first-rate.   What is your obsession with feeling the need to show us the ugly side that comes out when you start talking about politics?

Rich, you thought it would be a good idea to chase me down in a PM where you made some accusations about me as a person.  Now, if you want to play that game offline, realize I'm going to be nasty with you.  There is no place you can take things that I'm not willing to go and further. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimmyz on May 17, 2021, 03:14:50 PM
Rich, you thought it would be a good idea to chase me down in a PM where you made some accusations about me as a person.  Now, if you want to play that game offline, realize I'm going to be nasty with you.  There is no place you can take things that I'm not willing to go and further.

Jimmy,

Despite what you have been told, I am not your enemy.   There is no reason to be nasty to me or anyone else.  You are among friends
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE