News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Cult Classics of the 1970s

Started by LennG, February 19, 2024, 04:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Just came across this website offering what they feel are the top 10 cult classics from movies from the 70's. I have seen them all (after all I am that movie buff). I can't say I would recommend them all, or even liked them all, but going through this list I can't say I disliked any of them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/10-best-cult-classics-of-the-1970s-ranked/ar-BB1ivpjz?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=2716fca643c04501af9657a6a4b01b3b&ei=7

Is anyone a Rocky Horror Show geek? Funny, I never knew anything about this movie when it came out. I think most people had the same feeling. When it started to gain status as a cult classic and people started attending those midnight shows, I wasn't one of them. Later on, though, I saw it on TV, and all of a sudden it got to me. Me, who doesn't want to even dance, went to one of those showings and loved it. I really didn't participate as most do, but just being there watching all those fans throwing rice, shooting water guns, and doing the Time Warp, well I loved it. I have since gone to several other showings, mostly in parks late at night. Out of the movies mentioned, this is my favorite.
I'm sure there are many more that could be listed here.

Anyone?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Like you Lenn, I was never a part of the "Cult" of Rocky Horror fans but did see it in a theater once and same as you again, enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was a fun experience. I have since watched it multiple times since.
Other favorites of mine from that list are Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, although you have to really like the "Slasher Flick" genre for that one.
I have seen some of the others on the list, but not really a fan of any of them.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Sem

I've seen a few of the cult classics listed but never Rocky Horror. I'm certainly aware of its cult status though. I was really never a fan of the slasher genre, and the older I get the even less I would consider watching anything with excessive violence. The one movie I have seen from the list is Eraserhead. I came away from that one saying to myself, "what the bloody f$#k?!?!?!?!?"

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on February 22, 2024, 09:29:17 AMLike you Lenn, I was never a part of the "Cult" of Rocky Horror fans but did see it in a theater once and same as you again, enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was a fun experience. I have since watched it multiple times since.
Other favorites of mine from that list are Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, although you have to really like the "Slasher Flick" genre for that one.
I have seen some of the others on the list, but not really a fan of any of them.

I have always been a huge fan of the Monty Python group, loved their show on TV and most of the movies. This one, Monty Python, and the Holy Grail I simply loved. When I saw it originally, I laughed for days afterward just picturing those guys riding those stick horses making the clop-clop noises and all the other really silly things that went with it, but it truly has become a classic and I would watch it anytime it might be on. I am a huge movie trivia person and I ahve gotten so many trivia questions right about this movie that many just don't seem to get.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I must not be part of the cult club because I haven't watched any of them except "Clockwork Orange", which I can barely remember as I was at a drive in, in the backseat with a girl and only popped my head up now and then. I've seen YouTube clips of "The Holy Grail" and laughed, but never sat down to watch the movie.

The 70's were a blur, went into the Navy, got out of the Navy 4 months later on a technicality with my contract, got married, got into a tool and die apprenticeship, got divorced, started back into college, ran my father's gun shop when not at work or in college, got married again...all of it a blur. So much in fact, that when I look at the top 20 rated movies of the 70's, I have only seen one of them that I can recall (Smokey and the Bandit). The ones I have not seen include:

Star Wars (none of them)
Jaws
The Exorcist
Enter the Dragon
Grease
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Superman
The Godfather
Saturday Night Fever
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Rocky
Moonraker (I've probably seen it because I like Bond movies, but no recollection of Moonraker)
Jaws 2
Towering Inferno
Rocky 2
The Sting (I've always wanted to watch that as I'm a big fan of Paul Newman, but never found it available)
The Spy Who Loved Me (see Moonraker above)
Alien
Love Story

The 70s for me was packed with work, college, marrying, divorce, dating, marrying again, etc., so that entertainment was not part of my life. I didn't really get a chance to catch up on movies until I retired and I've missed a lot
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

Gee Ric, I thought I was the only person on the planet that hasn't seen The Godfather.

LennG

You guys have to get out more.

I understand not getting into movies as I know a couple of people who just won't watch movies, but we talk about what to watch and some of those you mentioned are more than just movies they are now part of our culture. Movies like Jaws. Godfather. Close Encounters. Sat Nite Fever and others have become part of our culture, more than just movies.
Ric you have time now, set aside a couple of hours each week and watch some of these classics. You won't be sorry.

Charlie Weiss