News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giant Players rank their coach

Started by LennG, March 01, 2024, 07:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-giants/brian-daboll-player-grades-report-card/

Giants Players Send Loud, Unified Message on Brian Daboll

The New York Giants locker room has spoken, and they still love playing for Brian Daboll despite a miserable 2023 campaign.

According to the 2024 "NFL Player Team Report Cards," which were released by the NFLPA on February 28, Daboll's approval rating as a head coach is still among the best in the league. NYG player polling earned the Big Blue boss an A- during a survey that was "administered from August 26 through November 16" of last year.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on March 01, 2024, 07:46:53 PMhttps://heavy.com/sports/new-york-giants/brian-daboll-player-grades-report-card/

The New York Giants locker room has spoken, and they still love playing for Brian Daboll despite a miserable 2023 campaign.

According to the 2024 "NFL Player Team Report Cards," which were released by the NFLPA on February 28, Daboll's approval rating as a head coach is still among the best in the league. NYG player polling earned the Big Blue boss an A- during a survey that was "administered from August 26 through November 16" of last year.

I suspect Daboll is a "players' coach". He seems to love his players and versa-vice. His subordinate coaches...well, maybe not so much. Daboll yells at his coaches more than he does his players, and in fact, consoles his players when they screw up. I don't think I've ever seen him yell at a player. He has high expectations, but blames the coaches for issues when things aren't working. Probably a hard guy to work for if you're being paid for calling plays, but he always seems to prop up his players no matter what

A couple of examples: Daboll dancing with Dex...consoling Darius Slayton after he dropped a catch and was getting down on himself, hugging DJ, etc
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on March 01, 2024, 07:46:53 PMhttps://heavy.com/sports/new-york-giants/brian-daboll-player-grades-report-card/

A couple of thoughts

Daboll's A- earned him a 7-way tie for 13th.  I am not sure how that ranks him "among the best."

The greatest of all time, Bill Belichick, was in a 4-way tie for 27th.  Does anyone think, even now, that Bill Belichick is one of the worst QBs in the league:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 10:53:54 AMA couple of thoughts

Daboll's A- earned him a 7-way tie for 13th.  I am not sure how that ranks him "among the best."

The greatest of all time, Bill Belichick, was in a 4-way tie for 27th.  Does anyone think, even now, that Bill Belichick is one of the worst QBs in the league:

I think the rankings are more about how the players felt or felt about playing for certain coaches. I can understand why many Giants players love to play for Daboll, if, in fact, he never yells at them. I can also see how playing for BB, especially when the Pats are losing badly, can be a problem. One thing is for sure, he isn't a player's coach.

https://www.theballzone.com/2024/03/patriots-players-gave-head-coach-bill-belichick-brutal-report-card/
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on March 02, 2024, 11:34:41 AMI think the rankings are more about how the players felt or felt about playing for certain coaches. I can understand why many Giants players love to play for Daboll, if, in fact, he never yells at them. I can also see how playing for BB, especially when the Pats are losing badly, can be a problem. One thing is for sure, he isn't a player's coach.

https://www.theballzone.com/2024/03/patriots-players-gave-head-coach-bill-belichick-brutal-report-card/

Plus Daboll ran a country club of a training camp (even if it left the ill-prepared at the start of the season)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 02, 2024, 10:53:54 AMA couple of thoughts

There's been chatter that Daboll's personality was rubbing everyone the wrong way. Apparently that only applies to his assistants and the players don't seem to have a significant issues with him. That's far preferable to having his assistants love him and the players hate him.