News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

who is most to blame for the Jones debacle?

Started by EliWasrobbed, March 08, 2024, 07:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 10, 2024, 10:18:24 AMThat still doesn't explain him throwing the ball though. They knew it was an issue in 2022. He only had 2 passes beyond 20 yards before Thanksgiving. The signs were there. He had 10 games under 200 yards passing, and 4 games were he was right at 200 yards passing. There were games were he wouldn't throw for the entire quarter, but you'd pay a guy you won't let throw the ball for 1/4th of the game.
There is the issue of installing an intermediate passing game and giving it Camp priority while holding Wink back most of the Camp from being aggressive. They were never battle ready. Dallas exposed the weakness and the season ensued. Not that it's an excuse for the other issues.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 10, 2024, 10:18:24 AMThat still doesn't explain him throwing the ball though. They knew it was an issue in 2022. He only had 2 passes beyond 20 yards before Thanksgiving. The signs were there. He had 10 games under 200 yards passing, and 4 games were he was right at 200 yards passing. There were games were he wouldn't throw for the entire quarter, but you'd pay a guy you won't let throw the ball for 1/4th of the game.

I did not say he was All Pro.  2022 was objectively much better than 2023 and that is because of the OL.

Other factors like long passes are another issue however if 2023 had similar blocking as 2022, maybe other negative factors would have improved theough another year in Dabs/Kafka's system. We wont ever know because blocking collapsed in 2023.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 10, 2024, 11:12:52 AMThere is the issue of installing an intermediate passing game and giving it Camp priority while holding Wink back most of the Camp from being aggressive. They were never battle ready. Dallas exposed the weakness and the season ensued. Not that it's an excuse for the other issues.
I agree, the preseason didn't help either. Should have been more emphasis on how badly outclassed they looked vs the Lions when they went to Detriot.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on March 10, 2024, 11:13:32 AMI did not say he was All Pro.  2022 was objectively much better than 2023 and that is because of the OL.

Other factors like long passes are another issue however if 2023 had similar blocking as 2022, maybe other negative factors would have improved theough another year in Dabs/Kafka's system. We wont ever know because blocking collapsed in 2023.
No I know, I'm just saying that from 2022 to 2023 they knew that Jones intermediate passing, and deep game were a glaring hole and nothing was done.

nb587

Going to disagree about the deep game.  Jones throws a pretty good deep ball.  But, he needed time for the WRs to get open if they did get open. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: nb587 on March 10, 2024, 01:36:01 PM
Going to disagree about the deep game.  Jones throws a pretty good deep ball.  But, he needed time for the WRs to get open if they did get open. 
He throws a decent ball, the problem is 100% mental on his intermediate and deep balls. He either refuses to go there or doesn't process the play fast enough

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 10, 2024, 02:44:50 PMHe throws a decent ball, the problem is 100% mental on his intermediate and deep balls. He either refuses to go there or doesn't process the play fast enough
Yes. I agree with the ladder....he simply doesn't process fast enough and too often realizes it just late enough to panic forcing a bad pass or taking a sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

nb587

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 10, 2024, 04:22:07 PMYes. I agree with the ladder....he simply doesn't process fast enough and too often realizes it just late enough to panic forcing a bad pass or taking a sack.

Or he's feeling pressure from a few pressure points.  Or, he's feeling pressure after being sacked or rushed constantly.  Or the receivers going deep are not getting separation or are running the wrong pattern. Or, Garrett's coaching was internalized to avoid turnovers and he's been coached to avoid turnovers. 

Not a loaded question.  How does a fan watching a game on television ( or even at a game) know that Jones does not process whats in front on him as opposed to any number of legitimate explanations for a play not working?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 10, 2024, 04:22:07 PMYes. I agree with the ladder....he simply doesn't process fast enough and too often realizes it just late enough to panic forcing a bad pass or taking a sack.

I also think the rest of the league has increasingly caught on to his weaknesses, and I therefore think defenses are able to throw more stunts, blitzes, and other normally riskier plays against him because they simply don't fear him going downfield off script. I think this is the reality with him, and I think it is the reason why you have seen some of these recent side-narratives pop up trying to claim that the same O line randomly played much better for Taylor and DeVito and that Jones himself had nothing to do with any of this. That explanation never rang true for me.

Painter

Although, I think of it as a vacuous waste of time- which may be what we are actually seeking- I suppose the need to assign blame is understandable given that the team has been a stink show the for the past decade, for 11 years actually, notwithstanding the now recognizable two fraudulent winning seasons.

Given the apparent irresistibility of the blame game, we should first begin by eliminating any and all blame in regard to Daniel Jones whether in terms of performance or compensation. Get your feet off his neck. And if you need a place to put them, I suggest starting with the necks of the two incompetent, meddling Maras, John and Chris.

Here is how and why. They created the sham in which Ernie Accorsi had to "recommend" that they hire a bloviating old crony- key word, CRONY- Dave Gettleman to succeed former and not always previously unsuccessful Coughlin-era Jerry Reese as GM.

Whatever we may think of Gettleman's single-minded decision to use the No.2 overall pick on Saquon Barkley, the alternative almost certainly would have been Sam Darnold. Whether or not Darnold would have more been successful in his 6 seasons (21-35) than Daniel Jones (22-36-1) in 5, is a moot issue. Yeah, I know Darold would have cost a lot less whether or not Gettleman would have ditched him after 3 years and left it to someone even more foolish, like Carolina, to do it for him.

In any case, I felt that Eli's 8-23 record in the 2 previous seasons had left Gman with little choice but to still look for someone who could succeed him despite the bad news that his first choice, Justin Herbert had decided to return and not enter in 2019.

Frankly, under the circumstances, I didn't view Daniel Jones as a bad pick. What I knew of him was that he was well-coached at Duke with and for a team lacking in pass receiving and pass protection ability and with much less than were his overall strengths v weaknesses.

In hindsight, which is all we have to guide us, I may have been wrong, but I can't really blame Gman for what I see more as misfortune than misadventure. That said, in most ways, Free Agency, the Draft, and in choosing HCs, he was a loser and a Salary Cap management disaster.

Now here we are 6 going on 7 years later with much the problems, old and new, still looking to find fault, for someone to blame, who can satisfy the needs of our biases and preconceptions. Take your pick, the Maras, Gettleman, Schoen and/or Daboll, OCs., Play Callers, Scouts, whomever or whatever we feel may a make difference in something which is as much about misfortune (Ownership?) as it is misadventure, and in no way is the fault of Daniel Jones.

Cheers!

Giant Obsession

Who's to blame ?

It STARTS with our scouting department.

Go to Youtube and watch his senior year game vs. Clemson.

His flaws and shortcomings are right there for all to see.

Games against pansy opponents should never be considered when developing an opinion about Jones. 

I personally watched 4 or 5 of his games.  And I have been sick to my stomach since the day we drafted him with the 6th pick.

A flyer in the 3rd or 4th round fine.  6th pick, well, there's a clue as to why we have stunk for sooooo long.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 10, 2024, 12:58:24 PMNo I know, I'm just saying that from 2022 to 2023 they knew that Jones intermediate passing, and deep game were a glaring hole and nothing was done.

What's glaring I think is that he took less shots than he should have.  His accuracy is good.

expatriot

Jones is the QB this year.  Money talks.  That said Jones is to blame for his performance.  I re-watched the Houston/Giants game from 2022 on NFL network. It again highlighted the puzzling decisions he sometimes makes.  Down a TD in the 4th quarter,ball around the 10, he drops back, not much pressure, looks ONE way only and throws the ball right to the defender for a pick.  I have now ideas what he was looking at to throw that pass. Maybe it was a timing route but it wasn't open at all so throw it anyway?   :doh:  That is what is wrong with Jones.

Trench

Quote from: expatriot on March 11, 2024, 09:56:02 AMJones is the QB this year.  Money talks.  That said Jones is to blame for his performance.  I re-watched the Houston/Giants game from 2022 on NFL network. It again highlighted the puzzling decisions he sometimes makes.  Down a TD in the 4th quarter,ball around the 10, he drops back, not much pressure, looks ONE way only and throws the ball right to the defender for a pick.  I have now ideas what he was looking at to throw that pass. Maybe it was a timing route but it wasn't open at all so throw it anyway?   :doh:  That is what is wrong with Jones.

You are 100% correct. It's amazing people seemingly do not accept this in their evaluations of Jones.