News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Round one non-Giants draft discussion thread

Started by MightyGiants, April 25, 2024, 07:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: killarich on April 25, 2024, 09:16:57 PMOkay and your point ? Michigan is in the Big Ten... no one had Washington winning that game .... the only reason people thought they had a slither of a chance was because they possessed the clear better QB ...exactly why Atlanta chose him over JJ

You said that Michigan Had a clear advantage everywhere on the field besides Qb when they didn't. Penix' offense was significantly better in multiple areas. I'm not saying one is better than the other, simply that it wasn't some landslide talent wise.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 25, 2024, 09:17:47 PMThem being done with Jones and drafting a Qb weren't mutually exclusive. They can be done with Jones and not draft a Qb. They weren't calling the patriots for a Wr the past week.

If they were absolutely done with him, they would have drafted JJ or Penix at #6, but they passed. The fact that they held onto DJ without giving up the farm for Maye also tells us something.

I'm quite happy as I think there is quite a bit of good football in DJ and the Giants for next year, enjoy!

AYM

Trench

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 25, 2024, 09:17:00 PMWhy are you so invested in getting an answer to a hypothetical?  Let's see it play out. Heck, with the Giants luck and history Malik could get injured in training camp and never play a 2024 down.

I'm invested because I'm a fan. It is not a hypothetical. I've sat here for years now listening to ultra pro Jones guys saying the one of the only reasons he stinks is he doesn't have weapons. I'm simply asking those guys if we have enough "weapons".....

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 25, 2024, 09:21:18 PMIf they were absolutely done with him, they would have drafted JJ or Penix at #6, but they passed. The fact that they held onto DJ without giving up the farm for Maye also tells us something.

I'm quite happy as I think there is quite a bit of good football in DJ and the Giants for next year, enjoy!

They tried to move up for Maye as of earlier today. If they were picking #1, you think they go WR and keep DJ? Of course not. The WR pick has nothing to do with DJ.

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 25, 2024, 09:08:04 PMYeah but most of those guys that flash one season are busts. At least you could see Daniels development in the half decade he was in college. The only flash that hit in recent memory was Burrow. Besides him you have a bunch of Zack Wilson's, and Trey Lances.

Shadeur Sanders, Quinn Ewers and Cam Ward had seasons equal to Maye this year, and all three were better than Daniels was as a junior. None of the three would be considered a flash in the pan.

killarich

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 25, 2024, 09:21:12 PMYou said that Michigan Had a clear advantage everywhere on the field besides Qb when they didn't. Penix' offense was significantly better in multiple areas. I'm not saying one is better than the other, simply that it wasn't some landslide talent wise.

Whatever the accolades that Washington received no one believed they really had a team that could beat Michigan .... the only clear advantage they had was they had the better QB

AYM

Quote from: madbadger on April 25, 2024, 09:23:42 PMShadeur Sanders, Quinn Ewers and Cam Ward had seasons equal to Maye this year, and all three were better than Daniels was as a junior. None of the three would be considered a flash in the pan.

I don't think the Giants are on the list of approved teams for Shedeur Sanders, but the other two could be interesting. And who knows, we've seen guys come from nowhere to jump to the top of the draft - like Daniels just now.

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 25, 2024, 09:21:18 PMIf they were absolutely done with him, they would have drafted JJ or Penix at #6, but they passed. The fact that they held onto DJ without giving up the farm for Maye also tells us something.

I hope you're right. I'm not as excited but I'm ironing my Jones jersey because he's our guy. So let's go!!!!!!........BUT....BUT....please Giants fans, don't make any more excuses for the guy. He has weapons (as I've been saying) and even if his line is average he does have enough now. Let's hope he elevates this team. If he does it will be a NY sports story for the ages and I'll be first in line to congratulate him!

MightyGiants

Quote from: killarich on April 25, 2024, 09:19:12 PMJets werent taking a QB ..... dumb trade

Unless another team was trying to get that pick as others have said

There is always the risk the Jets traded with someone else
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 25, 2024, 09:23:31 PMThey tried to move up for Maye as of earlier today. If they were picking #1, you think they go WR and keep DJ? Of course not. The WR pick has nothing to do with DJ.

If they were picking #1 they would have taken a QB.

My initial post was that Rich Eisen said the Giants were absolutely done with Daniel Jones. That claim has now proven to be false.

They had two QB's in JJ and Penix sitting right there at pick 6 and they passed, why?

Because they realize DJ as of right now is a better QB then both of them, and adding Nabers is going to help DJ bigtime.

Expect a turnaround in 2024, enjoy!

AYM

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 25, 2024, 09:19:57 PMAgreed. If the Giants don't steal some wins with Devito and pick top-3, the Giants are taking a QB. This doesn't signal confidence in DJ. It's a plan for when they move on from him.

It doesn't mean we aren't taking a QB at all - there are more rounds to go. Who knows ...

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: AYM on April 25, 2024, 09:26:29 PMIt doesn't mean we aren't taking a QB at all - there are more rounds to go. Who knows ...

I meant with the top pick, but I agree with you. QB in the 2nd is possible, but I think Nix goes sooner than later.

killarich

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 25, 2024, 09:23:31 PMThey tried to move up for Maye as of earlier today. If they were picking #1, you think they go WR and keep DJ? Of course not. The WR pick has nothing to do with DJ.

Looking at the complete picture here

The Giants like most only viewed 3 QBs in this draft as franchise QBs or QBs that have a SIGNIFICANT chance at being a franchise QB so yes maybe Joe made the calls and tried to get Maye

But if they thought any of Penix, JJ or even Bo Nix were possibly their future QB they would have no doubt drafted one of them

They didn't ..... you don't pass on them if you are DONE with Jones.....

out of all Caleb,Daniels,Maye,Jones,Penix,JJ,Nix

They simply viewed Jones as the 4th best of the bunch

You don't pass on a QB if you think you have that big a hole at QB

sxdxca38

Quote from: Trench on April 25, 2024, 09:25:28 PMI hope you're right. I'm not as excited but I'm ironing my Jones jersey because he's our guy. So let's go!!!!!!........BUT....BUT....please Giants fans, don't make any more excuses for the guy. He has weapons (as I've been saying) and even if his line is average he does have enough now. Let's hope he elevates this team. If he does it will be a NU sports story for the ages and I'll be first in line to congratulate him!

Good for you, and thank you for your response, you always have been a respectful poster, and I appreciate that.

Do I think DJ is an elite QB? No

But do I think with an adequate O line and a #1 explosive receiver added, can he be a solid to good QB? Yes

I'm looking forward to a bounce back year in 2024, please be well