News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

MoJo's Corner (2021 Camp Reports)

Started by babywhales, July 28, 2021, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slugsy-Narrows

Giants training camp observations, Day 4: Matt Peart returns, free agents debut, Blake Martinez is close and some O-line notes

https://www.nj.com/giants/2021/08/giants-training-camp-observations-day-4-matt-peart-returns-fans-are-back-free-agents-debut-blake-martinez-is-close-and-some-o-line-notes.html

Interesting little nugget:

The media had a good view of the offensive line drills on on Saturday down on the field. I was trying to keep a watchful eye on the structure of the offensive line coaching staff, which has a lot of cooks in the kitchen. It is quite clearly Rob Sale

Jaime

Good stuff Jclay :goteam:
Sounds like McKinney is setting himself up for a major breakout season.  =D>
Carter Coughlin at ILB interesting.
Peart cleared, need him to step up.
Ojulari and Thomas will push each other to improve.
Hernandez shining, believe when I see it?

Slugsy-Narrows

CVA14

J sounds very good. Thanx. Just hope you are not wearing those preseason rose-colored glasses that have been typical of the last several years. But I share your optimism and I think the OL might be pretty good

Jclayton92

Those are notes I've been given from someone inside the building.

babywhales

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

babywhales

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

babywhales

babywhales

Notebook: Blake Martinez returns; Todd Davis joins LB room in series of roster moves (giants.com)

Blake Martinez, the team's leading tackler in 2020, returned to the team for the first time since being placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list on Tuesday. He will not participate in the Giants' practice this evening in Eddie Moraes Stadium in Newark, part of the NFL's "Back Together Saturday" initiative.
Todd Davis, an eight-year veteran who has played for three teams, signed with the Giants.
"Blake is back with us in the building today, he's his normal self, smiling ear to ear, happy to be with the team," coach Joe Judge said. "He's always a lot of fun to have around, he's always got a good comment, but definitely a guy who communicates a lot in the meetings, so that's been beneficial having him back already.
"In terms of where he'll be on the field with us, the plan right away is to get him with the trainers and continue his kind of ramp up and build him back physically. When we know he's ready to go, we'll get him back on the field."

babywhales

Day 5 Camp Report

New York Giants Training Camp Practice Report: Day 5 - Sports Illustrated New York Giants News, Analysis and More

Excerpts

One of the challenges of being on the outside looking in can be to determine if the offense is ahead of the defense or vice versa during training camp.

Well, for the first few days of camp, the offense has been inconsistent on plays it should be otherwise making. But if head coach Joe Judge is concerned, he's not letting on.
"I think we all have plenty to work on right now," he said. "So in terms of the who

babywhales

Slugsy-Narrows

6 Giants training camp observations, Day 6: Daniel Jones is stellar in WILD practice with brawl, Kenny Golladay injury, Kadarius Toney returns, more

https://www.nj.com/giants/2021/08/giants-training-camp-observations-day-6-daniel-jones-is-stellar-in-wild-practice-with-brawl-kenny-golladay-injury-much-more.html

Jones was simply stellar

Kadarius Toney, finally, debuts: The Giants first-round pick finally made his on-field debut for the team, even if he was limited. It didn

DaveBrown74

Thanks Slugs.

Good to see Jones get whatever monkey was on his back off his back and have his first really good day.

Nice to see Toney out there in pads. I don't mind that he was a little rusty... if he can just have a quiet next week and a half with no "news", then to me that is a win. I'll put more stock on what I see in the first preseason game from him than I do on a couple of practices at this point. I just want to hear that he is showing up on time for these practices, keeping his mouth shut, and putting forth a strong effort. I'm not looking for highlight reel from him right now.

I think it's really hard to judge the O line in practices for the reasons you mention. I need to see them in games, and really I am not going to feel strongly about them one way or the other until I see how they fare in the first two games of the season. If they can hold their own against the likes of Denver and Washington, I'm going to be super optimistic. If they look good in the preseason then that will be nice to see, but again I need to see it in a real game with them.

I'm pretty disheartened by this Golladay situation, but I can't say I am surprised, and nobody else should be. This guy may be the Carson Wentz of receivers.

Osi was with Papa the other day commenting on the practice, and he was raving about the Leo's intensity level. I know there had been some concern here about this guy lying down on everyone after getting his money, but my gut is that that won't be the case with him. I think this guy is a gamer. Also don't forget that it's only a three year contract, and he only just turned 27. He will be ultimately playing for one more contract, so I think we will get a max effort from him.

I am hoping one more receiver steps up in camp/preseason. Maybe it will be Ross, maybe it will be Willis, I'm not sure. But if Golladay is just not going to stay on the field, they need another outside guy besides Slayton. I know everyone thinks we're loaded at this position, but we're not really IMO. We have some nice slot options, but we are thin on the outside still.

Are we expecting Barkley to see any action in any preseason games? I know nobody wants to rush him back, but if this turns into a situation where he is missing multiple regular season games, that's not ideal and certainly not what anyone was hoping for. That will especially be problematic if Golladay is out. All of a sudden the Giants won't have any proven big time playmakers on offense, despite an offseason mandate from Mara to go out and get some.

MP21WAYS2PAY

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 04, 2021, 02:25:18 AM
Osi was with Papa the other day commenting on the practice, and he was raving about the Leo's intensity level. I know there had been some concern here about this guy lying down on everyone after getting his money, but my gut is that that won't be the case with him. I think this guy is a gamer. Also don't forget that it's only a three year contract, and he only just turned 27. He will be ultimately playing for one more contract, so I think we will get a max effort from him.

Leonard Williams is somehow under the radar and is a legitimate DPoY candidate, especially with this secondary forcing QBs to hold the ball longer.  His fire has been lit since he moved to the Giants, I'm excited to see what he can do this season.