News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

ALL DANIEL JONES POSTS AND DISCUSSIONS HERE

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2022, 03:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP44

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on December 20, 2022, 05:49:15 PMHarsh? That is your opinion, if you think differently, you are certainly entitled to that. To each their own.

Yeah harsh. The guy account for 93 yards on the drive but shouldn't get that much credit? Lol.

That's like saying Barkley taking one 90 yards to the 3 yard line but since Jones took it in the next play that Barkley shouldn't get any credit either... haha

AP44

Quote from: Rambo89 on December 20, 2022, 05:43:24 PMAgree to disagree.  Appreciate the response.

No worries. I just don't see why posters want to downgrade at QB. I am at no liberty of giving Jones a 4-5 year deal. But a two year deal still lets you draft a qb and still build the team.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on December 20, 2022, 05:19:14 PMIt was a decent drive, perhaps he deserves some credit not for that drive but maybe a few throws. But how did that drive end? Did he throw a TD or punch it in with his legs? I can't credit him an entire drive if he was not the one that sealed the deal at the end of it.

That drive was roughly half of his production the whole game. Coupled with 13 total points on offense, and none of those scoring plays involving him, what does that say about his performance every other drive and the game as a whole? Does he really deserve as much credit as you think he does?

If a 97 yard drive is just a decent drive I'd love to know what it takes for you to call a drive good.

And saying that the drive had something to do with the win is giving him too much credit?

I have to say that the notion that the only things a QB really deserves credit for is being part of the scoring play is unusual.  So since he covered the last 3 yards on a TD run, does Barkley get the credit for the drive?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Rambo89

Quote from: AP44 on December 20, 2022, 05:57:34 PMNo worries. I just don't see why posters want to downgrade at QB. I am at no liberty of giving Jones a 4-5 year deal. But a two year deal still lets you draft a qb and still build the team.

I don't think it's that anyone wants to downgrade but rather you disagreeing with others on Daniel Jones being better/worse than others.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

Quote from: AP44 on December 20, 2022, 05:54:14 PMYeah harsh. The guy account for 93 yards on the drive but shouldn't get that much credit? Lol.

That's like saying Barkley taking one 90 yards to the 3 yard line but since Jones took it in the next play that Barkley shouldn't get any credit either... haha

Again, to each their own. You have your opinion and are more than entitles to have it.

True Blue

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 20, 2022, 05:58:38 PMIf a 97 yard drive is just a decent drive I'd love to know what it takes for you to call a drive good.

And saying that the drive had something to do with the win is giving him too much credit?

I have to say that the notion that the only things a QB really deserves credit for is being part of the scoring play is unusual.  So since he covered the last 3 yards on a TD run, does Barkley get the credit for the drive?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=decent

Anyway, again, I gave him credit for a few of the nice throws he made on 3rd and 4th downs, they moved the chains. But all the 2 yard dinks and dunks inbetween are noting special.

Like many others, I don't think Jones is bad. I just don't feel he is good enough to win a SB. I don't view a Tyrod, Brissett, etc in 2023 to be a step back or downgrade, I think it is a lateral move at a much lower cost. Allowing more flexibility for building a good roster for the next QB, perhaps in 2024 unless they really love someone this year. But hey if they resign Jones, I will root for him and hope to hell he proves me wrong and I will happily eat some crow.

I mean even now I root for him to prove me wrong, because I want my team to succeed now and sustainably in the future.

AP44

How do we know Brisset and Taylor are lateral moves? Brisset never has been good. Are you just looking at stats or did you watch him extensively this year?

I mean this coaching staff doesn't think Taylor is as good or better cause there was never a QB competition.

True Blue

Quote from: AP44 on December 20, 2022, 06:34:46 PMHow do we know Brisset and Taylor are lateral moves? Brisset never has been good. Are you just looking at stats or did you watch him extensively this year?

I mean this coaching staff doesn't think Taylor is as good or better cause there was never a QB competition.

How do you know they aren't lateral moves?  No one is trying to change your opinions on DJ yet you continue to try to pick a fight. You can think he is the future, I can think he isn't, and the world will go round all the same.

sxdxca38

A point I'd like to add to the discussion is there was a 3rd and 9 throw that DJ made from the back of the end zone, and he put it right on the numbers for Bellinger, and he dropped it.

That drop in the 3rd quarter killed the drive, forced them to punt, and stopped a potential long drive that would have added even more yardage to DJ's total. So, he could have thrown for more yardage than if his supporting cast came through, just something to think about.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: sxdxca38 on December 20, 2022, 07:45:07 PMA point I'd like to add to the discussion is there was a 3rd and 9 throw that DJ made from the back of the end zone, and he put it right on the numbers for Bellinger, and he dropped it.

That drop in the 3rd quarter killed the drive, forced them to punt, and stopped a potential long drive that would have added even more yardage to DJ's total. So, he could have thrown for more yardage than if his supporting cast came through, just something to think about.

SXD,

True, but we can always play the woulda/coulda/shoulda game in both directions. Jones has had some very poor throws this year that were right in the hands of opposing players but were dropped picks. He has also had some great throws that were dropped by his guys. The reality is that in pretty much any game, and certainly countless times over the course of a season, there are numerous plays that could have, and perhaps should have, gone very differently than what actually happened. And that's true for every QB. The reality is that this stuff tends to even out over time, and the large sample size data really doesn't lie.

AP44

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on December 20, 2022, 07:44:49 PMHow do you know they aren't lateral moves?  No one is trying to change your opinions on DJ yet you continue to try to pick a fight. You can think he is the future, I can think he isn't, and the world will go round all the same.

1. Asking a question isn't picking a fight.
2. Never once did I say he was the future as a matter of fact I've said plenty of times I would not sign him to anything more than a 2 year deal.
3. I seriously doubt you know what my opinion of him is.

kingm56

Quote from: sxdxca38 on December 20, 2022, 07:45:07 PMA point I'd like to add to the discussion is there was a 3rd and 9 throw that DJ made from the back of the end zone, and he put it right on the numbers for Bellinger, and he dropped it.

That throw was not on the numbers...it literally hit his back shoulder, as he was running the opposite direction; it should have been in front of him as there wasn't a defender to avoid. Throwing the ball in front of him, with more touch, would have made an easier catch and maximized YAC. To be clear, an above average TE, which I think Daniel is, should have caught that ball.  Interesting, it wasn't charged as a drop.  Still to classify that throw as "right on the numbers" is not factually accurate. It's also pointless to play the 'should of' game as it all equals out by seasons end...

Finally, one drive, which I thought DJ was great, and one 'dropped' catch, doesn't equate to an effective day. Over the last 4 seasons, the Giants are one of the leagues objectively worst offenses, with a passing attack that's consistently ranked in the bottom 4; DJ is a significant portion of said offense. One drive, and 'should of' play doesn't absolve him of his aggregate performance..

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 20, 2022, 05:13:54 PMIf it's going to cost over 30mm then they should franchise tag him. There isn't a QB in this draft that they can reach who would be able to play year one. I think they do that and build a better team around him and see how he progresses.

I meant $30-$35mm over two years total, not per year.

AP44

The Bellinger throw was not a drop nor a great pass either. However one thing I'd like Bellinger to learn with experience - as he is cutting in, to look for the ball as he cutting. It may have given him a better chance to catch it.

But it certainly wasn't that great of a pass.

Jclayton92

Quote from: AP44 on December 20, 2022, 05:35:42 PMYou always completely ignore surrounding casts. So posting stats has very little meaning. Not one of them plays with an equal or worst cast than Jones.
If the surrounding cast is so important as you clearly think it is why would we then pay Jones. In that scenario we would let Tyrod or one of those cheaper qbs play and build up the surrounding cast?? See how the argument falls apart? Because If we pay Jones 25-30 million a year we can't afford to go out and retool the entire wr core..