News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

ALL DANIEL JONES POSTS AND DISCUSSIONS HERE

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2022, 03:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: AP44 on December 21, 2022, 01:37:31 PMOnce again - the failure to acknowledge supporting casts and DJ's rushing numbers is not being transparent about whats going on with the QB position.

There is no doubt that Jones is one of the best rushing QB's in the league.  And even factoring in his supporting cast I still don't believe he'll ever be an elite QB.  If he was putting up average middle of the road passing numbers with this then I'd agree about that elite potential.

Agree to disagree on this.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

AP44

Quote from: Rambo89 on December 21, 2022, 02:01:36 PMThere is no doubt that Jones is one of the best rushing QB's in the league.  And even factoring in his supporting cast I still don't believe he'll ever be an elite QB.  If he was putting up average middle of the road passing numbers with this then I'd agree about that elite potential.

Nothing wrong with this opinion. But if people are going to show why Jones should go and not include rushing stats - thats a bit unfair to him.

True Blue

Quote from: AP44 on December 21, 2022, 02:04:00 PMNothing wrong with this opinion. But if people are going to show why Jones should go and not include rushing stats - thats a bit unfair to him.

I'm pretty sure we are all aware what his stats are. Many times that I have pointed out his stats I would generally reference total yards or tds, the rushing stats are certainly part of the equation.

Hey, we agreed on something  :cheers:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 21, 2022, 01:32:39 PMJess,

I think you are asking the wrong question, in my opinion.  Your question assumes there is no improvement in the QB supporting case from year 1 to year 2.  I think we can expect a significant improvement and with that improvement, we will see increases in the raw numbers.   With the improvement and the increased raw stats, I don't see the two QBs you mention creating the same increase in stats next season.   Neither of the QBs you mentioned is as talented (in this season and next0 as Daniel Jones has demonstrated. 

So the QBs you mentioned could likely average 180 yards and 1 Td a game but I think we all want and expect more than that next season.

Also while a really poor supporting cast can stymie many QBs so there are similar, don't forget what happened last year when DJ was hurt and they had to play other QBs, the drop off was dramatic

That's the problem though Rich, you expect better from Jones next season when he's had virtually the same statical seasons every year as a pro. He's not going to magically transition into something be hasn't been the previous 4 in year 5.

Jclayton92

Quote from: AP44 on December 21, 2022, 01:37:31 PMOnce again - the failure to acknowledge supporting casts and DJ's rushing numbers is not being transparent about whats going on with the QB position.
Lol I wasn't considering the other Qbs rushing totals either.. If you have to add in a Qbs rushing to try to justify him as a Qb is that really the sign he's a good QB?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Rambo89 on December 21, 2022, 02:01:36 PMThere is no doubt that Jones is one of the best rushing QB's in the league.  And even factoring in his supporting cast I still don't believe he'll ever be an elite QB.  If he was putting up average middle of the road passing numbers with this then I'd agree about that elite potential.

He's 16th in total passing yards.  In a 32 team league that is the very definition of "average middle of the road passing numbers".  And he has made himself top-notch in ball security despite being sacked the third-most times in the league, behind our supposedly improved OL (although going from 2.2 sacks per game last year up to 3.1 sacks per game this year doesn't seem improved to me).  And he's about 4th in rushing yards.

These are the things that will make a team look at him and the lack of quality in the offense he's playing in and think about what he might do in their offense that is higher quality.  And offer him more than the Giants are willing to pay him.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 21, 2022, 04:15:14 PM22-30 mill a year on avg yikes
look at kylar Murray's and Jones stats over 50 games, then look at Murray's 5 year 230 million, and his record and then Jones' plus what people are thinking Jones should make. Scary.

Also for some reason I thought we were in the Daniel Jones thread.....

True Blue

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 21, 2022, 04:24:43 PMHe's 16th in total passing yards.  In a 32 team league that is the very definition of "average middle of the road passing numbers".  And he has made himself top-notch in ball security despite being sacked the third-most times in the league, behind our supposedly improved OL (although going from 2.2 sacks per game last year up to 3.1 sacks per game this year doesn't seem improved to me).  And he's about 4th in rushing yards.

These are the things that will make a team look at him and the lack of quality in the offense he's playing in and think about what he might do in their offense that is higher quality.  And offer him more than the Giants are willing to pay him.

When you use Jones's individual ranking in total yards then imply its out of 32, you're not making an apples-to-apples comparison. In a 32-team league, the Giants passing offense ranks 28th in yards-per-game and 27th in yards-per-attempt. If you look at Jones's yards-per-attempt for qualified passers this season, he's 27th as well (so right in line with the team rankings). Jones is decidedly not middle-of-the-pack in this regard. Doesn't change your arguments about the quality of the offense, but it's categorically incorrect to imply that the passing production of Jones has been anything but well below-average this season.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

Baddog on Jones

He was once one of his biggest critics

Rambo89

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 21, 2022, 04:15:14 PM22-30 mill a year on avg yikes

Yeah I am passing if that's the cost even on a 2 year deal.

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on December 21, 2022, 05:02:41 PMWhen you use Jones's individual ranking in total yards then imply its out of 32, you're not making an apples-to-apples comparison. In a 32-team league, the Giants passing offense ranks 28th in yards-per-game and 27th in yards-per-attempt. If you look at Jones's yards-per-attempt for qualified passers this season, he's 27th as well (so right in line with the team rankings). Jones is decidedly not middle-of-the-pack in this regard. Doesn't change your arguments about the quality of the offense, but it's categorically incorrect to imply that the passing production of Jones has been anything but well below-average this season.

Exactly how I look at it.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18