News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

This is why I’m happy Pats denied the trade up

Started by killarich, April 28, 2024, 11:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

You just never know... I know this is a "strong" qb class .... But man if it fails you always gave up too much

Happy we got nabers .... Build the team not give away all assets

And this is nothing in comparison to what we and other teams were possibly trying to give up

Jclayton92

Better to risk it and possibly end up with Josh Allen than trotting a broken qb out for year 6, who if he gets injured at all in 2024 gets his salary guaranteed for 2025.

killarich

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 28, 2024, 11:29:59 AMBetter to risk it and possibly end up with Josh Allen than trotting a broken qb out for year 6, who if he gets injured at all in 2024 gets his salary guaranteed for 2025.

Better to roll with what you have for another year then to give up future high draft picks then draft a qb who is at the same level if not maybe worse than what you already have

Delaying the change for a year and bettering the team > drafting a failed qb and now having no assets the next few years

Uncle Mickey

Drake Maye is a far cry from Mitch Tribisky though in size/frame and arm talent.

Jclayton92

Quote from: killarich on April 28, 2024, 11:31:45 AMBetter to roll with what you have for another year then to give up future high draft picks then draft a qb who is at the same level if not maybe worse than what you already have

Delaying the change for a year and bettering the team > drafting a failed qb and now having no assets the next few years
But that doesn't make sense when this class has been heralded for years and you don't know what is there next year. Regardless we are going to have to give up capital to get a guy, why not sooner than to continue to be horrible

Uni

Trubitsky wasn't some reach by the Bears that year, he was projected as the first QB of the board on many mock drafts.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Another example is the trade the Panthers made for Bryce Young

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Updated look at last year's Panthers-Bears trade:

Bears receive:
🏈 WR DJ Moore
🏈 2023 first-round pick (OT Darnell Wright)
🏈 2023 second-round pick (CB Tyrique Stevenson)
🏈 2024 first-round pick (QB Caleb Williams)
🏈 2025 second-round pick

Panthers receive:
🏈 2023 No. 1 pick (Bryce Young)

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: Uni on April 28, 2024, 11:41:31 AMTrubitsky wasn't some reach by the Bears that year, he was projected as the first QB of the board on many mock drafts.

Mitch would have been somewhere between QB5 to QB7 of this draft

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 28, 2024, 11:29:59 AMBetter to risk it and possibly end up with Josh Allen than trotting a broken qb out for year 6, who if he gets injured at all in 2024 gets his salary guaranteed for 2025.

Even better is to luck out and have Mr. Irrelevant turn out to be a player because you have an absolutely stacked offense and then bring in the best dual threat RB on top of that. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 28, 2024, 11:33:15 AMDrake Maye is a far cry from Mitch Tribisky though in size/frame and arm talent.

Ah yes.  "this time it's different", the slogan of failed highly touted QBs.

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Uni on April 28, 2024, 11:41:31 AMTrubitsky wasn't some reach by the Bears that year, he was projected as the first QB of the board on many mock drafts.

Yup, a little 20-20 hindsight is at play.

Not slowing my roll

jimc

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 28, 2024, 11:52:27 AMMitch would have been somewhere between QB5 to QB7 of this draft

Not that I agree about Mitch, but what you are trying to say brings up a valid point. When you are drafting a QB and you are giving up resources to get him. You should be comparing him to the top 10 of QB's that are playing, not to other QB's in the same draft class. Because, the guy you want needs to be a top 10 franchise guy in your eyes, or you PASS.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

kartanoman

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 28, 2024, 12:46:12 PMEven better is to luck out and have Mr. Irrelevant turn out to be a player because you have an absolutely stacked offense and then bring in the best dual threat RB on top of that. 

As good as it gets, and he'll get even better as time goes on. Just a wonderful story that has captured my interest and enjoyment as a general NFL fan.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jclayton92

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on April 28, 2024, 11:52:27 AMMitch would have been somewhere between QB5 to QB7 of this draft
Crazy thing is Trubisky Best year trumps Jones best season. So using him as an example as a bust is both alarming and comical.

Rosehill Jimmy

Funny thing is the 49 ers used #3 on Solomon Thomas and traded both #s 67 and  111 (. #67 became Alvin Kamara).

In some ways this perfectly illustrates the absurdity of the discussions we sometimes engage in
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"