News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgoodmantrublu

I have Daniels and McCarthy tied for 3rd. I would stay away from Nix and Penix is a major healthy risk. I would trade up whatever I have to in order to take Drake Maye.

Gmo11

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2023, 12:58:36 PMBy the time the 2024 draft rolls around, I believe Caleb Williams will not be the #1 pick.  Maybe 3rd QB off the board.

Year over year, I think McCarthy has developed the most.  His football IQ and processing during a play are good.  I want to watch his accuracy on long throws in tight coverage as I want to see him get more air under those throws as opposed to ropes.

I would take that bet.  I think Caleb Williams is clearly at the head of this class.  Nothing is guaranteed of course, he could be a bust just like anybody else, but from what I've seen and what others around the league are saying, he's going to be the #1 pick right or wrong.

Philosophers

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 31, 2023, 01:23:05 PMI would take that bet.  I think Caleb Williams is clearly at the head of this class.  Nothing is guaranteed of course, he could be a bust just like anybody else, but from what I've seen and what others around the league are saying, he's going to be the #1 pick right or wrong.

Don't get me wrong.  I love his physical talents.  Against top competition he has not been great and I think that is more due to mental side of game.  That is my question on him and why he may not be #1 pick.

Ed Vette

I can't speak for several of these QB's yet but Calib Williams IMO has a lot of potential at the next level but I haven't seen enough film yet. I'm lukewarm on MC and Maye so far with more film to watch. Any draft pick would have to be better than DJ if he were in the right system and he's not. Pat Shurmur knew. As it turned out the 2019 draft class was one of the worst in NFL history and DJ was the best of the bunch. I had him rated along with Will Grier and Ryan Finley. I also believe that if Finley and Grier were drafted by the Giants they too would have lasted at least 4 years here too.

Rosen, Mayfield and Darnold were all touted to be better than Allen and Jackson. We know how that turned out.

Everyone labeled Richardson a bust and unfortunately for him, he was drafted by a bust team.

There are so many factors that need to be evaluated in an NFL QB, from character, to Arm, to leadership, to intelligence, accuracy, pocket presence and awareness, ability to move within the pocket and athleticism, and intestinal fortitude and resilience, but the number one is Football IQ and the ability to read the field, coverages and his progressions and have a quick release to the best option available. Tom Brady was in my opinion the greatest QB of all time and he didn't have the greatest arm but it was good enough, and he wasn't the best leader and he didn't have great athleticism but he knew where the ball was going 95% of the time before it was snapped and he hit his man with the right touch and accuracy. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 31, 2023, 01:41:11 PMEveryone labeled Richardson a bust and unfortunately for him, he was drafted by a bust team.

Anthony Richardson?

Bob In PA

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 31, 2023, 12:49:30 AMAnd with the 6th over all pick........we take the QB from Duke
brownE: I had a nightmare about that very scenario last night.

My "best case" is Giants get Marvin Harrison, Jr., this year and QB Drew Allar (Penn State) next year.

Allar (a sophomore) is performing very very well this yr and he will kick Ohio State's AND Michigan's asses next yr.  He'll be ready to play for the Giants the year after that, when Jones' contract ends.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

I've done hours of tape and research on this class watching almost all of the top guys games. As it translate to the NFL I think the class is upside down in a lot of ways but super deep.

Williams and Maye have everything you look for in a prototype qb physically but mentally there's something missing for both. Williams while carrying USCs pedestrian team doesn't care about the right things and Is only a killer sometimes. Maye can't get his guys up for bad teams, losing to teams with 1 and 2 wins back to back when they were in a playoff hunt, he's quiet, and not cerebral.

JJ mccarthy is a killer, he's cerebral, can make all the throws, manipulate not only the defense in a pro offense but manipulate the pocket a will and Is athletic enough to make plays happen. He is quickly becoming my QB 1 because of his mental makeup and what he brings physically. If you had Mccarthy and Jaxson Darts mental makeup inside Williams, Maye, and Ewers you'd have generational talents but Williams and maye are lacking were it counts the most imo.

Philosophers

JJ's fo
Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 31, 2023, 02:44:00 PMI've done hours of tape and research on this class watching almost all of the top guys games. As it translate to the NFL I think the class is upside down in a lot of ways but super deep.

Williams and Maye have everything you look for in prototype qb physically but mentally there's something missing for both. Williams while carrying USCs pedestrian team doesn't care about the right things and Is only a killer sometimes. Maye can't get his guys up for bad teams, losing to teams with 1 and 2 wins back to back when they were in a playoff hunt, he's quiet, and not cerebral.

JJ mccarthy is a killer, he's cerebral, can make all the throws, manipulate not only the defense in a pro offense but manipulate the pocket a will and IA athletic enough to make plays happen. He is quickly becoming my QB 1 because of his mental makeup and what he brings physically. If you had Mccarthy and Jacson Darts mental makeup inside Williams, Maye, and Ewers you'd have generational talents but Williams and maye are lacking were it counts the most imo.

I think JJ's football brain is more developed than either Williams or Maye.  That is from better coaching and frankly his maturity and coachabikity.  He was a good hockey player growing up.  Kid is tough and also a natural leader.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2023, 02:51:29 PMJJ's fo
I think JJ's football brain is more developed than either Williams or Maye.  That is from better coaching and frankly his maturity and coachabikity.  He was a good hockey player growing up.  Kid is tough and also a natural leader.

All of those are good traits, but I want our next QB to have legit talent and be a sharp processor (both pre and post snap) who makes the right decision the vast majority of the time and can execute seamlessly. Just being tough, coachable, and having a good makeup is nice but that alone is not enough. We have that now with Jones, and we have simply not moved forward as a franchise with him.

BTW I'm in no way saying JJ isn't all of the above things that I said I want in our next QB. I honestly don't know yet. I am just noting that the traits you mentioned, while important, to me are not enough by themselves. I'm not implying you think they are either - I am just noting where I stand.

I have not watched enough of JJ to have a very strong opinion yet. I don't really count games against subpar teams. I want to see how he looks in PSU, against OSU, and then in the Big 10 Champ game and the playoffs (assuming Mich plays those games). I will have a firmer opinion then.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2023, 12:58:36 PMBy the time the 2024 draft rolls around, I believe Caleb Williams will not be the #1 pick.  Maybe 3rd QB off the board.

Year over year, I think McCarthy has developed the most.  His football IQ and processing during a play are good.  I want to watch his accuracy on long throws in tight coverage as I want to see him get more air under those throws as opposed to ropes.

i am more impressed with him than caleb, though calebs game is more electric. that doesnt necessarily mean he's better.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2023, 03:18:49 PMAll of those are good traits, but I want our next QB to have legit talent and be a sharp processor (both pre and post snap) who makes the right decision the vast majority of the time and can execute seamlessly. Just being tough, coachable, and having a good makeup is nice but that alone is not enough. We have that now with Jones, and we have simply not moved forward as a franchise with him.

BTW I'm in no way saying JJ isn't all of the above things that I said I want in our next QB. I honestly don't know yet. I am just noting that the traits you mentioned, while important, to me are not enough by themselves. I'm not implying you think they are either - I am just noting where I stand.

I have not watched enough of JJ to have a very strong opinion yet. I don't really count games against subpar teams. I want to see how he looks in PSU, against OSU, and then in the Big 10 Champ game and the playoffs (assuming Mich plays those games). I will have a firmer opinion then.

JJ vs DJ is no comparison.  JJ is much more aggressive looking downfield and taking shots.  Not a quiet leader either but vocal.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 31, 2023, 02:44:00 PMJJ mccarthy is a killer, he's cerebral, can make all the throws, manipulate not only the defense in a pro offense but manipulate the pocket a will and IA athletic enough to make plays happen.
J: I want to believe you but have seen all his games and I'm still not convinced.

In my mind he's competing with WR Marvin Harrison, Jr., so he's has a very very steep uphill climb to become my favorite player in this draft.

Bob

Philosophers

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 31, 2023, 04:29:57 PMJ: I want to believe you but have seen all his games and I'm still not convinced.

In my mind he's competing with WR Marvin Harrison, Jr., so he's has a very very steep uphill climb to become my favorite player in this draft.

The Mara family, on the other hand, will probably collectively pee their pants if Schoen drafts the Notre Dame QB.

Bob

PS. That reminds me -  I like to imagine the Mara's are still kicking themselves over the 1979 draft. I want to believe (with NO supporting evidence at all) that if they hadn't gotten their preferred choice for QB (Phil Simms) in the 1st round (to cat-calls of "WHO" from the peanut gallery) they would have CERTAINLY (lol) kept their 3rd-rounder (instead of trading it to the Dolphins) and drafted a Notre Dame QB (whose last name is the same as one of the western United States).

Bob - keep in mind that Michigen's offense is a power run game with 50-50 passing.  It's not a more pass oriented offense plus he gets pulled in the 3rd quarter.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AMAs of now this is the order per PFF, Oct 30 2023

1. QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

2. QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

3. QB BO NIX, OREGON

4. QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON

5. QB RILEY LEONARD, DUKE

6. QB J.J. MCCARTHY, MICHIGAN

7. QB SHEDEUR SANDERS, COLORADO

8. QB MICHAEL PRATT, TULANE

9. QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU

10. QB QUINN EWERS, TEXAS

Of course its still early and the ranking will change. Who do you like? Who do you think will be there when we pick?

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-position-rankings-quarterbacks

I'll caveat my rankings by saying I'm not a fan of any of these guys and hope the Giants pass on drafting a QB this year. I understand the desire from some to move on from DJ ASAP, but it can't come at the expense of reaching on a sub-par talent.

1a. Williams
1b. Maye
3. McCarthy
4. Nix
5. Penix
6. Ewers
7. Daniels
8. Leonard
9. Pratt
10. Sanders

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2023, 04:45:12 PMBob - keep in mind that Michigen's offense is a power run game with 50-50 passing.  It's not a more pass oriented offense plus he gets pulled in the 3rd quarter.

Phil: A great point, worth serious consideration.

Anyone certainly could view the information in your post as demonstrating that the head coach is holding him back or choking off his opportunity to show what a great NFL QB he'll be. It's possible that's true, but right now I'm not convinced, just like with Caleb Williams and nearly every other college QB who's likely to come out for the 2024 draft.

I don't see an electric QB in this draft. I'm looking for something like Elway and Peyton did in college. But the season is only half over, so there's plenty of time.  I'm just making the point that as of today I'd take Marvin Harrison, Jr. 

Bob