News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 27, 2023, 03:48:12 PMNix is at an age where some 2nd-3rd year NFL QBS are. I think it's a red flag that is has taken him so long to develop. He should have declared for the draft a last Spring. And yes we would be getting a shorter career out of him if he becomes a franchise QB.

Kenny Pickett was similar. Very old by draft prospect standards, 5 year college guy, and was only good in his last year at U of Pitt. Was a total nobody for the prior four years.

Nix at least has had two good years at Oregon.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 27, 2023, 03:49:47 PMKenny Pickett was similar. Very old by draft prospect standards, 5 year college guy, and was only good in his last year at U of Pitt. Was a total nobody for the prior four years.

Nix at least has had two good years at Oregon.

I wasn't aware the Pickett is already 25 in his 2nd pro season. This might explain why 19 teams passed on him.

Remember Brandon Weedon? 22nd overall at age 28!
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 27, 2023, 03:57:07 PMI wasn't aware the Pickett is already 25 in his 2nd pro season. This might explain why 19 teams passed on him.

Remember Brandon Weedon? 22nd overall at age 28!

Yup, I do.

Chris Weinke another example. Admittedly he went later, but if memory serves he did win the Heisman.

Jclayton92

Hard to develop 25 yr olds. Typically they are good at that age bc they are playing 17, 18, and 19 yr Olds in college.

Woody

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 31, 2023, 04:54:27 PMI'll caveat my rankings by saying I'm not a fan of any of these guys and hope the Giants pass on drafting a QB this year. I understand the desire from some to move on from DJ ASAP, but it can't come at the expense of reaching on a sub-par talent.

1a. Williams
1b. Maye
3. McCarthy
4. Nix
5. Penix
6. Ewers
7. Daniels
8. Leonard
9. Pratt
10. Sanders
I don't know a whole lot about the Quarterbacks on the list .....but ima e watched Maye a few times.   Not impressed.
Williams real deal seen him a few times.....Bo Nix for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

Quote from: Woody on November 27, 2023, 05:11:08 PMI don't know a whole lot about the Quarterbacks on the list .....but ima e watched Maye a few times.   Not impressed.
Williams real deal seen him a few times.....Bo Nix for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
that was posted Oct 31st. Maye's star has fallen since then. At this point in time, I like Daniels and Nix. That will possibly change after this weekend. I love the skills in Calib but he's no good for NY. JJ moved up my chart.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Just_jimmy

JJ for me. Hopefully we get lucky.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Right now, I am not sold on Nix as a pro prospect. I feel like he has had it very easy this year. Right now, to me he's a 5 year guy who couldn't hack it in the SEC. That doesn't mean I can't be more convinced on him, but for that happen I need to see him:

(1) Lead his team to a win in the Pac-12 championship game this weekend (and be a big part of the win), and

(2) Play very well and win against an elite team in the playoffs (ie Mich, UGA, Bama, etc).

If I see both of those things happen (obviously number 2 isn't happening if number 1 doesn't), his stock will go up in my eyes. Anything short of that and I will remain unconvinced. Right now I feel like he's not a guy I really want, especially in the first round. I understand he has some things going for him like his build and athleticism, but so does Daniel Jones.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 27, 2023, 06:16:18 PMRight now, I am not sold on Nix as a pro prospect. I feel like he has had it very easy this year. Right now, to me he's a 5 year guy who couldn't hack it in the SEC. That doesn't mean I can't be more convinced on him, but for that happen I need to see him:

(1) Lead his team to a win in the Pac-12 championship game this weekend (and be a big part of the win), and

(2) Play very well and win against an elite team in the playoffs (ie Mich, UGA, Bama, etc).

If I see both of those things happen (obviously number 2 isn't happening if number 1 doesn't), his stock will go up in my eyes. Anything short of that and I will remain unconvinced. Right now I feel like he's not a guy I really want, especially in the first round. I understand he has some things going for him like his build and athleticism, but so does Daniel Jones.
Be careful evaluating players on individual games. I remember how bad CJ Stroud looked against Michigan last year. Still, the Texans were smart not to take one game into account. I'm confident Schoen will do his homework properly.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on November 27, 2023, 06:33:34 PMBe careful evaluating players on individual games. I remember how bad CJ Stroud looked against Michigan last year. Still, the Texans were smart not to take one game into account. I'm confident Schoen will do his homework properly.

It would be part of my overall analysis of him. I already have a good bit of data, which I outlined. If he looks brutal against someone like Michigan, that will kind of shut the door on me actively wanting him. If he looks like a stud in a game like that, then I remain interested and will be watching him with more interest in the combine etc.

Being consistently right all the time about college QBs is extremely difficult. I don't know anyone who can do it, including GMs, coaches, and pundits. And certainly no fans. Many fans think they can, because they do a good job of remembering their good calls better than their not so good ones. But the reality is it's probably the hardest player evaluation to do with any sort of consistency in all of American sports.

uconnjack8

I really don't remember Weinke or Weeden being as highly regarded as Nix or Penix is at this point.  Certainly Weinke who I think was drafted in the 4th round was not considered a future franchise QB.  Weeden was a late 1st rounder picked by a team with a history of chasing fools gold.

I don't think teams will look at other QBs of the same age from 20 years ago as a factor when evaluating current QBs.  Is it really relevant that a QB drafted in 2001 was older, drafted in the 4th round and wasn't good?  I definitely would not draft Weinke this year. 

When did it become bad for a QB to be in college for 5 years btw?  It used to be the norm and then they would usually sit another year in the NFL before taking the field.  Is it because now the norm is you can leave early and the best usually do? 

The age debate is somewhat ironic to me as a Giants fan because the two best QBs for the franchise in my lifetime are also two of the oldest drafted in 1st round since 1967.  I get that eras are different, but both Simms and Eli were old. 

Philosophers

Well if you like youth, JJ is only 20 years old.

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building