News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Art Stapleton is hearing the Vikings are preparing their trade up

Started by MightyGiants, April 19, 2024, 09:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Joe Schoen talked about a walk-away price (and based on previous actions, I think he firmly believes in this approach). So, if the rumor is true, will Schoen try to outbid the Vikings?

https://x.com/art_stapleton/status/1781316019056738462
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Interesting that he mentions #3.  I am not sure how probable it is (not very would be my guess), but is it possible the Patriots have the QBs stacked up in such a way that they see the top 2 as head and shoulders above the rest and then the next 4 as relatively equal?

I know in terms of fans and media we see it played as more of a top 3 or 4 close together, with Maye and McCarthy as the debate of who is 3 and who is 4.  But I could see a team seeing Williams and Daniels worth a top 10 pick and none of the others in that stratosphere, with guys like Nix and Penix not that far off from Maye and McCarthy.  If you are the Pats in that case and you think you can trade down and get a bunch of picks and still get a QB that you think is pretty close to the guy at #3, it would make sense to trade down.

This morning I was thinking about the possibility of them being the first curveball of the draft by selecting MHJ at 3, with the thinking that maybe they really like Bo Nix.  Guessing Arizona's phone would ring off the hook at that point. 

Jclayton92

Of the Vikings do infact move up we should all hope it's for number 3.

Anyways it seems like all trades will be day of because teams don't know what Washington and New England prefer.

londonblue

A completely dispassionate assessment is Minnesota will win any bidding war to trade up. It might be to 3 but Denver are said to be prepared to sell the farm to move up. I do not see Schoen getting into a bidding war so I have us as most likely to go WR at 6 but more likely to trade down than up. We will find out in 6.5 days!
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on April 19, 2024, 12:02:11 PMA completely dispassionate assessment is Minnesota will win any bidding war to trade up. It might be to 3 but Denver are said to be prepared to sell the farm to move up. I do not see Schoen getting into a bidding war so I have us as most likely to go WR at 6 but more likely to trade down than up. We will find out in 6.5 days!

It's funny about Denver.  As an admittedly non-Denver fan, it would seem like the Broncos would be well served by sitting tight and drafting Bo Nix at 12.  He would seem to be the perfect QB for what Sean Payton likes to run.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 19, 2024, 12:06:09 PMIt's funny about Denver.  As an admittedly non-Denver fan, it would seem like the Broncos would be well served by sitting tight and drafting Bo Nix at 12.  He would seem to be the perfect QB for what Sean Payton likes to run.

I thought that as well but their beat guys (including Allbright who is wired in with them) all think Sean Payton is in deep man love with JJ McCarthy. Smoke season of course.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on April 19, 2024, 12:12:59 PMI thought that as well but their beat guys (including Allbright who is wired in with them) all think Sean Payton is in deep man love with JJ McCarthy. Smoke season of course.

I saw Eric from BBI make that claim.  Only when I went to the Youtube video he linked, the guy saying the Broncos are hot to move up is Tony Pauline.  When I listened to Albright, he seemed far less sure the Broncos are trying to move up.

According to NFL Insider Tony Pauline, the Denver Broncos are desperate to trade up for a QB and may trade a king's ransom including CB Patrick Surtain to the Arizona Cardinals for pick #4? Is Monti Ossenfort waging a bidding war for the draft's top QBs? Will the Cards still manage to select Marvin Harrison Jr.? Will Arizona sports fans be happy with Rome Odunze or Malik Nabers in a trade with the New York Giants or Minnesota Vikings?

Join Johnny Venerable and Bo Brack on Thursday's PHNX Cardinals podcast!

0:00 Intro
1:50 Sean Payton wants new QB
4:10 NFL Insider Benjamin Allbright joins the show!
13:20 Quarterback tiers
18:40 Allbright final mock draft
35:50 Monti Ossenfort speaks at pre-Draft presser
52:45 Trade calls expect to ramp up next week
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Whenever someone close to a team is giving out info this time of year, I have to wonder if they are doing a favor for someone to help with smoke screens or whatever misinformation they want out there. 

DaveBrown74

Even though Minny can give a lot more than the Giants for the Pats, Vikes, or Chargers to move down, the one thing they can't give is the 6th pick in this year's draft. A team like the Cards may have their hearts set on getting one of the big three receivers. If they love two of them roughly equally, it makes sense to trade with the Giants. I'm not saying this will happen, but it's one way it could.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 19, 2024, 02:28:31 PMEven though Minny can give a lot more than the Giants for the Pats, Vikes, or Chargers to move down, the one thing they can't give is the 6th pick in this year's draft. A team like the Cards may have their hearts set on getting one of the big three receivers. If they love two of them roughly equally, it makes sense to trade with the Giants. I'm not saying this will happen, but it's one way it could.

Jeff,

I haven't heard much about it lately, but there has been talk that the punishment for Atlanta tampering (having the medical people talk to him before it was allowed) Cousins could be swapping the Falcons' and the Vikings' first-round picks.  That would put the Vikings in an even better position should that happen.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

If the Giants are not going to trade up for a quarterback they really want, then I really would like them to trade down to acquire picks. I don't know why, but I think Penix flies under the radar and could be the best of the bunch. Just a feeling, nothing more. How about Penix paired with Thomas or Pearsall or one of the other very good receivers out there this year?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 19, 2024, 02:33:33 PMJeff,

I haven't heard much about it lately, but there has been talk that the punishment for Atlanta tampering (having the medical people talk to him before it was allowed) Cousins could be swapping the Falcons' and the Vikings' first-round picks.  That would put the Vikings in an even better position should that happen.

I hadn't heard that. Interesting.

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on April 19, 2024, 02:41:31 PMIf the Giants are not going to trade up for a quarterback they really want, then I really would like them to trade down to acquire picks. I don't know why, but I think Penix flies under the radar and could be the best of the bunch. Just a feeling, nothing more. How about Penix paired with Thomas or Pearsall or one of the other very good receivers out there this year?

Thomas and Pearsall are damn good.  It would jot surprise me if at least one is better than 2 of the top 3.  Penix is interesting because of his accuracy.  Injuries do scare me a lot.

spiderblue43

I don't know..but I'm thinking more and more Drake Maye is the guy. In the event he fell to 6 .lordy. Daboll will risk his job (with Schoen) to get him..but at what price?

Depends on the Vikings love for their qb guy. Seems to me the Pats would love to trade down for those picks. Then get a qb..and skill player.

Then the Cards..??. What if Jim Boy wants to play.??. Going to be a circus Thursday.. :doh:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: spiderblue43 on April 19, 2024, 07:26:14 PMThen the Cards..??. What if Jim Boy wants to play.??. Going to be a circus Thursday.. :doh:

Yeah, it's getting close to time for my ritual re-watching of the movie Draft Day.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll