News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umassgrad

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 10:11:57 AM
It's amazing the things you are willing to believe, but I make a statement and you doubt me (despite my history of careful vetting and statements)

Jim Acosta
@Acosta
The White House Press Secretary on Trump's push to reopen schools: "The science should not stand in the way of this."
3:01 PM

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 10:11:57 AM
It's amazing the things you are willing to believe, but I make a statement and you doubt me (despite my history of careful vetting and statements)

Jim Acosta
@Acosta
The White House Press Secretary on Trump's push to reopen schools: "The science should not stand in the way of this."
3:01 PM
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: umassgrad on July 17, 2020, 10:03:34 AM
It's sad Rich but true. I don't think we needed Trump to tell each state exactly what to do but he could have guided them a little better. For example, Trump and Fox News were pushing the cure is worse than the disease or something like that. All the Trump talk of "we've got to open up our economy!" Trump rallies in Tulsa with no masks or social distancing required, and now Trump saying schools must open no matter what. All of these things are examples of Trump and his crew promoting bad practices that have led the US to the horrific number of new cases each day. Trumps words lead to actions because we have a lot of not so bright folks that are his followers, see Florida governor.

umass: Being President requires weighing of ALL national interests and striking a balance.  He is doing what he thinks is in the overall best national interests, and each Governor is doing likewise for his or her state.  Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:31:59 AM
umass: Being President requires weighing of ALL national interests and striking a balance.  He is doing what he thinks is in the overall best national interests, and each Governor is doing likewise for his or her state.  Bob

How do you know this to be true?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 10:13:00 AM
Donald Trump for one.  Do you think the governor would reverse the course of Donald did one of his public call-outs?

Rich: The President of the United States has no power to overrule a Governor.  The "bully pulpit" has the power of persuasion, maybe, but it is not the power to affect legal change.  Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 10:36:52 AM
How do you know this to be true?

Rich: Because every politician wants to succeed and be correct about his decisions all of the time.  Is this news to you?  Or will you next contend that Trump is intentionally trying to kill you?  Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:28:17 AM
Rich: My hearing isn't the best, but those were NOT her words... she either said "the scientists do not stand in the way of this" or "the scieneS do not stand in the way of this."   Bob

Bob,

I have to confess that sometimes your responses disappoint me.    Here is literally the official White House transcript

QuoteMS. MCENANY:  You know, the President has said unmistakably that he wants schools to open.  And I was just in the Oval talking to him about that.  And when he says open, he means open in full
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:38:57 AM
Rich: Because every politician wants to succeed and be correct about his decisions all of the time.  Is this news to you?  Or will you next contend that Trump is intentionally trying to kill you?  Bob

By "succeed" do you mean to stay in office or do the right thing, as they are not always the same thing?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ron in NJ

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 17, 2020, 10:38:57 AM

Is it possible that some politicians might do things that benefit him or her  personally that could not be in the best interest of the people he serves?

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ron in NJ

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2020, 10:51:00 AM
Ron,

I spent a lifetime paying attention to context (and partly because I have often had to interpret laws and regulations for my jobs), and I have to respectfully disagree at the statement clearly was Trump wants schools fully opened and science shouldn't stand in the way.  There is no way that the wording can be reasonably read interpreted differently, in my opinion

This is the part of her remarks where I drew my conclusion

The science is very clear on this, that

T200

Quote from: Ron in NJ on July 17, 2020, 10:58:20 AM

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ron in NJ on July 17, 2020, 10:58:20 AM

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE