News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Running game

Started by killarich, April 28, 2024, 09:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

How are you feeling about the running back group ?

While obviously no Barkley is a downgrade I think our group itself can be decent

1. Singleterry I think can be decent as the main back but he shouldn't carry the load as much as Barkley did

2. Grey we drafted him last year ... now give him a bigger role ... right now is the time to roll the dice and see what we actually have

3. Tracy is the rookie who has been a wr more than rb .... Maybe he can be used as a backfield receiving threat since Jones does seem to dump it off a lot

I think we need to stop playing around and just see what we got.... We already know what we have in brightwell and Corbin ..... just give the youngins the playing time

DaveBrown74

Being totally objective, it is a pretty weak-looking RB room at the moment. Gray showed little to nothing last year (albeit didn't have tons of opportunity but it's not like he was some highly touted prospect), Singletary is ok but nothing special, and Tracy is not only an unproven rookie but he's only played the position for a year. If Gray becomes more of a factor and Tracy is able to add something as a rookie, it might be ok, but I definitely would not call it a strength right now.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 28, 2024, 09:24:16 PMBeing totally objective, it is a pretty weak-looking RB room at the moment. Gray showed little to nothing last year (albeit didn't have tons of opportunity but it's not like he was some highly touted prospect), Singletary is ok but nothing special, and Tracy is not only an unproven rookie but he's only played the position for a year. If Gray becomes more of a factor and Tracy is able to add something as a rookie, it might be ok, but I definitely would not call it a strength right now.

Miami's 3rd RB may be better than Giants 1st stringer.  I know their 2nd is.

londonblue

People underestimate Singletary as RB1 in a rotation. In five seasons:

888/4049 4.6 20TD rush
175/1164 6.7 4TD receive

His biggest deficiencies vs Saquon are less of a workhorse in terms of carries and fewer TD (Saquon 8 per year combined vs 5 for Singletary but closer on rate per touch). His biggest pluses are efficiency (YPC) and durability, albeit with a better OL & lighter load.

The question marks at RB are all behind him. Who is RB2 in the rotation? Can Gray emerge and fix his blocking? Can Tracy be more than a pass catcher and third down guy? Will Turbo Miller surprise? Is Brightwell still on the roster for ST and short yardage? We have intriguing options with different skills but none are proven.

This is where the new RB coach Joel Thomas comes in. He did well with Ingram and Kamara in NOLA. He should be able to get something early out of guys like Tracy and Miller who share some traits with Kamara in particular. We certainly have to hope so.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

bamagiantfan

The biggest difference from last year is I think we are moving from a 3-down back who gets spelled at times to a committee situation with 2-3 backs in the mix. If that turns out to be the case, is remains to be seen which back(s) will be used along with Singletary and how.

Perhaps the most important thing, if you were to talk to Barkley he would probably tell you that Singletary and company have a better run blocking line going into the season than he ever had. With new pieces everywhere on offense and Daniel Jones coming off the injury, I think you will see Daboll/Kafka in the early part of the season "dumb it down" and play to the Defense. Continuous improvement from all groups (QB, Receivers, O-Line, and RBs) during the season is what I will be looking for. If I don't see that, I am expecting a long year because they are not much to look at right now. This team is more unrealized potential than substance at the moment.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

uconnjack8

The RB group may not appear impressive but I think it will be as good as the passing game allows. 

It's a pass 1st offense now and that will either put the defense further back from the LOS and allow 4 easy yards on a draw or allow the defense to play close to the line and be in the backfield quickly.

MightyGiants

I think the Giants have a RB committee that is better than what Saquon brought to the table last season.

You have every down back Singletary

You have short yardage back Gray

You have third down/change of pace back Tracy

That's a pretty good trio.

Add in a hopefully better O-line and WRs whose speed is going to push defenders off the LOS and I think we will see better production in the run game than last year.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sjones71

We'll see how it shakes out, but I think Singletary can carry his own. Tracy is intriguing, but who knows. Gray is largely unknown. I bet we add somebody else, but it's not an overwhelming group. We'll see.

MightyGiants

Quote from: sjones71 on April 29, 2024, 08:32:49 AMWe'll see how it shakes out, but I think Singletary can carry his own. Tracy is intriguing, but who knows. Gray is largely unknown. I bet we add somebody else, but it's not an overwhelming group. We'll see.

Gray had a quiet/disappointing rookie season.  He was considered a pretty good pick by the Giants.  So, it will be interesting to see how he does his second year.  It's possible Gray was distracted a bit by the returner duty they forced upon him (that he wasn't that good at).   The RB room is pretty full when you consider Corbin, Miller, and Brightwell are also on the roster.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2024, 08:19:21 AMI think the Giants have a RB committee that is better than what Saquon brought to the table last season.

You have every down back Singletary

You have short yardage back Gray

You have third down/change of pace back Tracy

That's a pretty good trio.

Add in a hopefully better O-line and WRs whose speed is going to push defenders off the LOS and I think we will see better production in the run game than last year.
100% all of this.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TDToomer

I just want to see Tracy get playing time. I am sick and tired of us drafting and burying our rookie RBs on the depth chart while day 3 rookies play right away all over the NFL. I wanted a day 2 RB thinking it would provide a better chance to contribute right away.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

I think Corbin was our best back last season in the preseason and because of Barkley we haven't been able to even see what we have in alternatives.

TONKA56

Quote from: TDToomer on April 29, 2024, 09:08:08 AMI just want to see Tracy get playing time. I am sick and tired of us drafting and burying our rookie RBs on the depth chart while day 3 rookies play right away all over the NFL. I wanted a day 2 RB thinking it would provide a better chance to contribute right away.

I completely agree with you. I'd wager the reason we don't get to see these young explosive guys as much as we'd like is simply because they haven't shown the coaches enough with respect to pass protection/blitz pickup. I'd have to think the number 2 tailback spot is wide open.

TONKA56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 29, 2024, 10:03:09 AMI think Corbin was our best back last season in the preseason and because of Barkley we haven't been able to even see what we have in alternatives.

He looked hungry. We need that.

Trench

I think the RBs will be the surprise of the team and they are going to highlight just how overpayed Saquon was.

The new kid is interesting