News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daboll complained about his WRs being too slow, so...

Started by MightyGiants, May 07, 2024, 11:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSUBeirut

It's almost as if route running and a QB that can accurately get the ball in a receivers hands is more important. 

MightyGiants

I am going to add one thing.  I suspect we should also be looking at 10-yard splits as they will reflect a receiver's suddenness/acceleration, which is as important if not more important than their long speed. 

Take Evan Engram.  He had an impressive 40 time, but he wasn't that sudden and it took him time to reach top speed.  As a result, the defense didn't really struggle to cover him as much as his 40 times would suggest.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 08, 2024, 09:30:55 AMI am going to add one thing.  I suspect we should also be looking at 10-yard splits as they will reflect a receiver's suddenness/acceleration, which is as important if not more important than their long speed. 

Take Evan Engram.  He had an impressive 40 time, but he wasn't that sudden and it took him time to reach top speed.  As a result, the defense didn't really struggle to cover him as much as his 40 times would suggest.

Engram's 10-yard split was strong:

That 10-yard split is within tenths of a second of Odunze and Nabers. Engram's numbers (PFF and counting stats) have been much better since he transitioned to Jacksonville and had Trevor Lawrence throwing him the ball.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on May 08, 2024, 10:02:35 AMEngram's 10-yard split was strong:

That 10-yard split is within tenths of a second of Odunze and Nabers. Engram's numbers (PFF and counting stats) have been much better since he transitioned to Jacksonville and had Trevor Lawrence throwing him the ball.

Have you considered that Engram's 4.42 40 time was a record at the time he ran it, yet his 1.56 split would put him 4th in just this year's combine with just a handful of TEs and none of them coming close to Engram's 4.42?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-r-niHtaYTpDE3ydHJXyV4QfWQ2HZWnRXUVbaMTK3C0/edit#gid=1749729294
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 08, 2024, 10:17:17 AMHave you considered that Engram's 4.42 40 time was a record at the time he ran it, yet his 1.56 split would put him 4th in just this year's combine with just a handful of TEs and none of them coming close to Engram's 4.42?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-r-niHtaYTpDE3ydHJXyV4QfWQ2HZWnRXUVbaMTK3C0/edit#gid=1749729294

Yes, I guess it would place him 4th... by .01 seconds:

Update his RAS for the 2024 season, and its still a very strong 10-yard split:

I don't know why you're contorting yourself to state that Engram secretly wasn't really fast in short-space based on a 10-yard split when it's pretty clear that at least that metric doesn't support your conclusion. He's gotten open plenty in Jacksonville.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on May 08, 2024, 10:25:09 AMYes, I guess it would place him 4th... by .01 seconds:

You are dealing with small numbers at 10 yards so even 0.1 is significant.  I hope you appreciate that while Egram's 10 yard split wasn't "bad" by RAS standards, what it is is slower than what one would expect from a 4.42 40 and shows Engram's acceleration wasn't that good, which is why he hasn't played like one would expect a TE with a 4.42 40 to play
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 08, 2024, 10:28:11 AMYou are dealing with small numbers at 10 yards so even 0.1 is significant.  I hope you appreciate that while Egram's 10 yard split wasn't "bad" by RAS standards, what it is is slower than what one would expect from a 4.42 40 and shows Engram's acceleration wasn't that good, which is why he hasn't played like one would expect a TE with a 4.42 40 to play
I don't recall a single fan complaining about Engram's speed when he was here. It was his hands.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 08, 2024, 10:28:11 AMYou are dealing with small numbers at 10 yards so even 0.1 is significant.  I hope you appreciate that while Egram's 10 yard split wasn't "bad" by RAS standards, what it is is slower than what one would expect from a 4.42 40 and shows Engram's acceleration wasn't that good, which is why he hasn't played like one would expect a TE with a 4.42 40 to play

.1 and .01 are different things entirely--the former being the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.5 (significant), and the latter being the difference between a 4.40 and 4.41 (negligible). We're dealing with the latter in your position that Engram's 10-yard split isn't actually impressive because it would only be "4th ranked TE 10-yard split" this combine, despite a discrete ranking not really being representative of his athleticism as I showed above. Engram's 10-yard split was faster than Wan'Dale's and he's well-regarded for his short-area quickness. Your conclusion about Engram may well-indeed be correct, but it's not supported by the 10-yard split metric and I think its pretty clear.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on May 08, 2024, 10:33:27 AMI don't recall a single fan complaining about Engram's speed when he was here. It was his hands.

Tim,

When the Giants drafted Engram in round one, Reese talked about how he was going to be nearly impossible to cover with that 4.42 speed.  Yet, if you look at NFL's Next Gen stats, while Engram is the fastest (or top 3), his separation yardage puts him around 10th among NFL TEs. 

That was my issue. Engram was always undersized, and his hands were suspect, but we were sold on the idea that LBs and Safeties (who usually cover TEs) would never stand a chance against him (because of that 4.42 speed).

Here is a link to Next Gen Stats if you are interested.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving/2021/REG/all#average-separation
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on May 08, 2024, 10:37:33 AMYour conclusion about Engram may well-indeed be correct, but it's not supported by the 10-yard split metric and I think its pretty clear.

Since you put so much effort into trying to prove me wrong, I guess I should acknowledge your efforts.  Yes, it does take some digging to see how the 10-yard split indicates a lack of acceleration compared to his 40 times; you are correct. A look at the number with no other work being done wouldn't jump out at you in terms of there being a problem.   Congratulations

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 08, 2024, 10:40:30 AMTim,

When the Giants drafted Engram in round one, Reese talked about how he was going to be nearly impossible to cover with that 4.42 speed.  Yet, if you look at NFL's Next Gen stats, while Engram is the fastest (or top 3), his separation yardage puts him around 10th among NFL TEs. 

That was my issue. Engram was always undersized, and his hands were suspect, but we were sold on the idea that LBs and Safeties (who usually cover TEs) would never stand a chance against him (because of that 4.42 speed).

Here is a link to Next Gen Stats if you are interested.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving/2021/REG/all#average-separation

I understand your point, Rich.

My point is that despite his being 10th in separation yards, that statistic did not contribute to his issues. If he had held onto the majority of the passes thrown his way, 1) he'd probably still be a Giant, and 2) his separation yards would not be discussed.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on May 08, 2024, 10:45:15 AMI understand your point, Rich.

My point is that despite his being 10th in separation yards, that statistic did not contribute to his issues. If he had held onto the majority of the passes thrown his way, 1) he'd probably still be a Giant, and 2) his separation yards would not be discussed.

I won't disagree that his untimely drops certainly were a major issue for him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

OR, what you do in shorts and t-shirt is not a true indication of what you can do in full pads when some guy is trying to impede and reroute you.  And at the end of the 40, the 10 yard split, or 3-cone drill you aren't expected to catch the ball.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Uncle Mickey

Benn busy at work so not sure if this was posted in here (or elsewhere).....

Dan Schneier
@DanSchneierNFL
·
21h
The #Giants have all of the sudden built out one of the fastest WR corps in the NFL
Malik Nabers 4.38
Darius Slayton 4.39
Jalin Hyatt 4.40
Wan'Dale Robinson 4.44
From an Xs&Os standpoint, having this level of speed on the field should force Ds to cover every blade of grass.

Dan Schneier
@DanSchneierNFL
·
21h
The Malik Nabers addition is going to make it difficult for defenses to shade coverage over the top of Jalin Hyatt like we saw at times in 2023.
Instead, we could be looking at a lot more rolled coverages toward Nabers & one-on-one opportunities for Hyatt to beat his man #Giants

Daboll when he came on board made a comment that we must be one of the slowest teams in the NFL. He emphasizes speed kind of like that Dolphins ball coach does.

THey have transformed team speed and Theo is pretty fast for a 6'6 255-260 pound TE too.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on May 08, 2024, 12:53:48 PMThe Malik Nabers addition is going to make it difficult for defenses to shade coverage over the top of Jalin Hyatt like we saw at times in 2023.
Instead, we could be looking at a lot more rolled coverages toward Nabers & one-on-one opportunities for Hyatt to beat his man #Giants

Daboll when he came on board made a comment that we must be one of the slowest teams in the NFL. He emphasizes speed kind of like that Dolphins ball coach does.

THey have transformed team speed and Theo is pretty fast for a 6'6 255-260 pound TE too.

That is the impact a true number one WR has on an offense.  Not only does he make the QB's life easier, but his fellow WRs tend to benefit by having to face lesser defenses due to the focus on the number one guy.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE