News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- MLB has moved All Star Game out of Atlanta

Started by Painter, April 02, 2021, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 12:38:49 PM
Paul,

I am sure you feel that your right to own firearms is a sacred right and that any infringement on that right has to be justified X2

Why do you feel that people's sacred right to vote can be needlessly infringed upon by single political party for political gain?

The important question is who would be restricted by these new laws and how do those potentially affected people vote?  If it's spread relatively evenly across the socio-economic/racial/eithnic universe no harm no foul, but if it doesn't affect say upper middle class married couple with two cars and able to move around easily and to/from their one job, but it does overly affect say someone who has to take two buses to work and works maybe 2 minimum wage jobs (like many poor people have to do), then that is deplorable.  Providing access means making it relatively easy for everyone. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: expatriot on April 05, 2021, 12:54:08 PM
I personally think that the whole ID position by the "woke"  left and Dems is completely disingenuous and really insidously racist.  Like black people cant figure out how to get ID????  Really???? How extremely insulting.  You need ID for booze and cigarettes, ID to rent a hotel or car, ID at the bank, ID at the doctors office, ID to pick up tix at a will call window, ID to get a plane or train ticket, ID to get a freakin' COVID shot, etc, etc. But you don't need ID to vote...that is just plain Bull Crap and added to that, the misrepresentation of the law by the President and by the main stream media is a disgrace.

Quote from: Philosophers on April 05, 2021, 12:54:53 PM
The important question is who would be restricted by these new laws and how do those potentially affected people vote?  If it's spread relatively evenly across the socio-economic/racial/eithnic universe no harm no foul, but if it doesn't affect say upper middle class married couple with two cars and able to move around easily and to/from their one job, but it does overly affect say someone who has to take two buses to work and works maybe 2 minimum wage jobs (like many poor people have to do), then that is deplorable.  Providing access means making it relatively easy for everyone. 

I think this except from the ACLU fact sheet addresses both of these posts.  The facts cited are all referenced (go to the link) with various studies and statistics.

Voter ID Laws Deprive Many Americans of the Right to Vote

Millions of Americans Lack ID. 11% of U.S. citizens
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

The SAME PEOPLE who chose Biden, Warnock & Ossoff (all Democrats) in 2020 also chose the GA state legislature (Republicans) who passed the new voting law. The people have spoken.   =)) =)) =)) Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

babywhales

I personally think that the whole ID position by the "woke"  left and Dems is completely disingenuous and really insidously racist.  Like black people cant figure out how to get ID????  Really???? How extremely insulting.  You need ID for booze and cigarettes, ID to rent a hotel or car, ID at the bank, ID at the doctors office, ID to pick up tix at a will call window, ID to get a plane or train ticket, ID to get a freakin' COVID shot, etc, etc. But you don't need ID to vote...that is just plain Bull Crap and added to that, the misrepresentation of the law by the President and by the main stream media is a disgrace.

Its all about implementation in my opinion.

Here is Wisconsin after the ID Law was passed in 2011, the State Closed 16 DMV centers that provide the needed ID's to the public.  The offices were located in traditional lower income  democratic geographical locations.

The voting ID's had to be free to be constitutional and several facilities were caught charging or turning people away.  Not a ton but just another layer of the implementation problem.

The concept of the ID is fine IMO, based on a very limited voter fraud history in Wisconsin it was arguably unnecessary and more grandstanding than anything.  Either way, the way it was implemented was not fair. to all.   

With all the recounts Wisconsin has experienced in the past 20 years each has served as a an audit of the election protocols, there simply was not fraud that justified it. 

I'm fine with it but lets not pretend it was not needed in Wisconsin based on past elections.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 12:38:49 PM
Paul,

I am sure you feel that your right to own firearms is a sacred right and that any infringement on that right has to be justified X2

Why do you feel that people's sacred right to vote can be needlessly infringed upon by single political party for political gain?
Rich

Show me where their right to vote is being infringed?

I can show you where my right to bare arms HAS and continues to be infringed is.

But there is nothing in these laws that prevents people from voting.  No where!

Show me where they are being infringed upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LennG

If I may ask, where are you getting your info from--that bastion of truth FOX News?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 01:00:56 PM
I think this except from the ACLU fact sheet addresses both of these posts.  The facts cited are all referenced (go to the link) with various studies and statistics.
Several founders of the ACLU believe that institution is no longer serving its original purpose. I don't pay any attention to them these days, although I absolutely love what they once stood for.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 01:01:28 PM
The SAME PEOPLE who chose Biden, Warnock & Ossoff (all Democrats) in 2020 also chose the GA state legislature (Republicans) who passed the new voting law. The people have spoken.   =)) =)) =)) Bob

Bob,

Your joke speaks to the heart of the issue.  The people that voted for Biden and the two Democratic senators are not the same people who voted in the Republicans.  The Republicans are abusing their power to make sure "those people" don't vote again and the Republicans can wield dictatorial power.

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on April 05, 2021, 01:09:48 PM
Rich

Show me where their right to vote is being infringed?

I can show you where my right to bare arms HAS and continues to be infringed is.

But there is nothing in these laws that prevents people from voting.  No where!

Show me where they are being infringed upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul,

Microsoft already showed how voter's rights were infringed upon.   Also, let us not parse words.  You used the word "allow" but you know full well the intention of these anti-voter laws is to DISCOURAGE. Make it harder for minorities to cast their vote with the intention of hoping they will stop voting.

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 01:12:10 PM
Several founders of the ACLU believe that institution is no longer serving its original purpose. I don't pay any attention to them these days, although I absolutely love what they once stood for.  Bob

Bob, are you really going to try the shoot the messenger trick?!?  facts are facts regardless of who cites them.  They are all properly sourced and valid regardless of your personal opinions about the ACLU
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 01:00:56 PM

Voter ID Laws Deprive Many Americans of the Right to Vote

Millions of Americans Lack ID. 11% of U.S. citizens

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 01:15:37 PM
Bob,

Your joke speaks to the heart of the issue.  The people that voted for Biden and the two Democratic senators are not the same people who voted in the Republicans.  The Republicans are abusing their power to make sure "those people" don't vote again and the Republicans can wield dictatorial power.

Paul,

Microsoft already showed how voter's rights were infringed upon.   Also, let us not parse words.  You used the word "allow" but you know full well the intention of these anti-voter laws is to DISCOURAGE. Make it harder for minorities to cast their vote with the intention of hoping they will stop voting.

Bob, are you really going to try the shoot the messenger trick?!?  facts are facts regardless of who cites them.  They are all properly sourced and valid regardless of your personal opinions about the ACLU
Rich

We can agree to disagree your views is your own but what Microsoft said is clear as day. In the quote I posted.  You want to deny that it

T200

I don't mean to call you out - I am responding to your post. I think it is extremely presumptuous and it teeters on being blind to one's own privilege. The items above are highlighted because not all black people smoke and drink, rent hotels and cars, go to the bank or doctor's office regularly, or pick up tickets at will call, or travel by plane or train. Those are luxury expenses that many at or below the poverty level simply cannot afford.

It's simple enough to you because it's a part of your life. Not so much for the millions who can't afford to live as you and others.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on April 05, 2021, 01:17:08 PM
Rich

The whole ID thing is a mute point from common sense and is just a talking point of the left which is racists in its own right making it sound like lower income people can
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on April 05, 2021, 01:19:42 PM
I don't mean to call you out - I am responding to your post. I think it is extremely presumptuous and it teeters on being blind to one's own privilege. The items above are highlighted because not all black people smoke and drink, rent hotels and cars, go to the bank or doctor's office regularly, or pick up tickets at will call, or travel by plane or train. Those are luxury expenses that many at or below the poverty level simply cannot afford.

It's simple enough to you because it's a part of your life. Not so much for the millions who can't afford to live as you and others.
T

I think it

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 01:20:28 PM
Paul,

We were having such a good and productive conversation.   I am disappointed that your response to documented facts were to toss about false political talking points like:

"The whole ID thing is a mute point from common sense and is just a talking point of the left which is racists in its own right making it sound like lower income people can

Painter

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 01:12:10 PM

I hear you, Bob. While not really comparable except for "... no longer serving its original purpose." it does cause me to reflect on the fact that I was once a strong supporter of the no longer recognizable and now disgusting Republican Party which began putrefying even before Pyschobaby.

Cheers!