News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What led to the disconnect?

Started by Ed Vette, October 09, 2023, 11:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Why is it that our little group of Informed Fans knew that there was a failure to upgrade the Offensive Line this offseason with only the drafting of a starting Center? The Giants did not.

We all commented that the two guard positions needed an upgrade and there was no Swing Tackle that could be relied upon.

During Camp we were happy that Bredeson was showing signs of being solid but with no backup Center, the poor guy has been forced to play three positions with no way of settling in. I'll admit I was fooled into believing that Peart might just be a viable option and hoped Ezeudu's athleticism would sustain him at LT in Thomas' absence.

We heard about how Neal worked hard all offseason and hoped for him to elevate his play but that didn't happen.

So when the best player in the team went down, the Blind side was exposed and when both ends come crumbling down, and there is a revolving gate in the middle, the entire Offense breaks down.

They truly believed in Neal, Peart and Ezeudu. They felt that Bredeson and Glowinski would be fine.

So instead of bringing in better players, they went with the status quo and went all out on getting more Receiving options for Daniel Jones. The only thing is that he can't function under these conditions and Campbell, Hyatt and Waller are rendered useless.

I can't even put it all on Schoen because he gets his needs from the Coaching Staff.

What should have been at least a mediocre Oline became the worst in the league and in Giants history because of injuries to multiple players. So bad that they had to elevate two practice squad players who actually had game time.

This isn't to absolve Daniel Jones of his shortcomings but to expose that Daboll and Schoen and Johnson and Kafka failed to recognize them.

Right now Johnson and Tierney have done nothing to help elevate these players. Part of it is the talent and part of it is on them.

Very disappointing. Five Head Coaches and three GM's later and this Offensive line remains Offensive.

Mara so far has remained silent but I'm sure he's having meetings today. I have to wonder if his influence in wanting Daniel Jones to succeed has lead Schoen to sign Jones to a multi-year deal and bring in weapons for Jones to succeed.

If the Giants were home yesterday, I suspect Mara would be rattled by the booing that would have taken place.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

They say that hope a poor substitute for a plan

They hoped for good health even though the team has led the league in injuries for a decade, and they did not address the VP in charge of such things.  So their star LT suffers a setback from a minor hamstring injury and has missed an extra two games and counting.

They hoped Evan Neal would get better rather than preparing in case he didn't

They hoped Ezeudu would get better and hoped McKethan would get healthy and play well, instead of preparing if they didn't

They hoped Peart or Philips would be adequate swing tackles rather than ensuring they had a proper one

They hoped declining Glowinski had another year in him rather than having an actual plan

They let two high-end backup/low-end starter  walk in free agency (Gates and Feliciano) while hoping that a drafted 2nd round center would replace the two of them.

To make matters worse, teams can cover (somewhat) for one bad OT by slanting the coverage toward the weak one (creating a bigger challenge for the OT on the other side) or you can send chips and help blocks toward one of the OTs.   When Thomas went down, not only did they lose their wall on the left side, it made things more difficult for Neal because the offense could no longer provide him help (without weakening the receivers by leaving extra players to block).

After a decade of futility, we all wanted the Giants to do well this year and build on their success from last season.  So we all accepted hope in leu of a plan when it came to the O-line

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Again I don't think this was a case of the Front Office and Coaching staff not recognizing that they needed better offensive line play.  They wouldn't have invested the 7th overall pick a year ago (in addition to other draft selections) and a 2nd rounder this year if they didn't believe it was an issue.  There is only so many draft picks and cap space they have to work with.  And it's not the only need they've had the last two off seasons.

This is a case of the moves they've made have not worked out on top of injuries this season.  So I don't think this is a disconnect. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 11:17:28 AMThey say that hope a poor substitute for a plan

They hoped for good health even though the team has led the league in injuries for a decade, and they did not address the VP in charge of such things.  So their star LT suffers a setback from a minor hamstring injury and has missed an extra two games and counting.

They hoped Evan Neal would get better rather than preparing in case he didn't

They hoped Ezeudu would get better and hoped McKethan would get healthy and play well, instead of preparing if they didn't

They hoped Peart or Philips would be adequate swing tackles rather than ensuring they had a proper one

They hoped declining Glowinski had another year in him rather than having an actual plan

They let two high-end backup/low-end starter backups walk in free agency (Gates and Feliciano) while hoping that a drafted 2nd round center would replace the two of them.

To make matters worse, teams can cover (somewhat) for one bad OT by slanting the coverage toward the weak one (creating a bigger challenge for the OT on the other side) or you can send chips and help blocks toward one of the OTs.  When Thomas went down, not only did they lose their wall on the left side, it made things more difficult for Neal because the offense could no longer provide him help (without weakening the receivers by leaving extra players to block).

After a decade of futility, we all wanted the Giants to do well this year and build on their success from last season.  So we all accepted hope in leu of a plan when it came to the O-line

As it turned out Gates and Feliciano became huge losses.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 11:21:49 AMAgain I don't think this was a case of the Front Office and Coaching staff not recognizing that they needed better offensive line play.  They wouldn't have invested the 7th overall pick a year ago (in addition to other draft selections) and a 2nd rounder this year if they didn't believe it was an issue.  There is only so many draft picks and cap space they have to work with.  And it's not the only need they've had the last two off seasons.

This is a case of the moves they've made have not worked out on top of injuries this season.  So I don't think this is a disconnect. 
The disconnect is from last season to this season. They have three draft picks on that line that they hoped would work out. They failed.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 09, 2023, 11:24:11 AMThe disconnect is from last season to this season. They have three draft picks on that line that they hoped would work out. They failed.

They also spent a 2nd round pick on a Center last off season.  When you have to spend as much cap space as they did on retaining the QB their All Pro Left Tackle and All Pro Defensive Tackle there is only so much cap space left to spend in FA.

Gmo11

JMS was one of the two best Centers in this draft.  And the idea that Neal could possibly be as bad as he was last year two years in a row was, at the time, far fetched.  He had allegedly spent the entire offseason working on getting leaner, faster, and improving his technique with a variety of coaches/former players. 

So they couldn't upgrade every position at once, especially after giving Jones that contract but they had seemingly been prepared to go into the season with a significant upgrade at Center and RT and would worry about the guards next season.  As it turns out JMS was pretty good until he got hurt, and Neal has been an unmitigated disaster.  So the bottom line is they're trying...it's just not really working.

RelaxTension

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 09, 2023, 11:09:38 AMWhy is it that our little group of Informed Fans knew that there was a failure to upgrade the Offensive Line this offseason with only the drafting of a starting Center? The Giants did not.

Very disappointing. Five Head Coaches and three GM's later and this Offensive line remains Offensive.

I'm call xxxxxxxx with the fans out here knowing this could happen!
I joined maybe a month before the season and made claims I don't "trust Scoen or Dabs because they did very little to upgrade the oline and wasted $10 million on two average WRs instead of investing that capital to the oline.

I was called stupid and a troll for making these posts from a handful of the regulars out here.
I hate that I was correct but never in could've imagined they would be this bad!

Time to restart the rebuild this off season which means a few more years of not being competitive with the better teams!
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Ed Vette

Quote from: RelaxTension on October 09, 2023, 12:30:27 PMI'm call xxxxxxxx with the fans out here knowing this could happen!
I joined maybe a month before the season and made claims I don't "trust Scoen or Dabs because they did very little to upgrade the oline and wasted $10 million on two average WRs instead of investing that capital to the oline.

I was called stupid and a troll for making these posts from a handful of the regulars out here.
I hate that I was correct but never in could've imagined they would be this bad!

Time to restart the rebuild this off season which means a few more years of not being competitive with the better teams!
Then you would be vindicated. Please show us the posts.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

RelaxTension

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 09, 2023, 12:57:38 PMThen you would be vindicated. Please show us the posts.
How do I search?

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

RelaxTension

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 09, 2023, 01:44:42 PMThere was plenty of Oline discussion and concerns.

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=65809.0
https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=65777.15
https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=66102.15
https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=66265.0
https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=66405.0

Quote from: Rambo89 on May 02, 2023, 12:43:39 PMAt this point in the off season the opportunity to fill needs is pretty much finished.  Outside of some minor things here and there this is their team.

As far as concerns, for me its:

1) Injuries/Health

2) The 2022 Rookies taking a big step forward specifically the top 10 picks

3) Daboll and his staff's ability to adapt to no longer being looked over as an opponent in the NFL.

I didn't think for a second at the time that all of this would go against the Giants through the first 5 weeks.  Forget the 3 point I don't think it would have been a surprise that the Giants would struggle with the first two items going against them.

Ed Vette

Quote from: RelaxTension on October 09, 2023, 01:50:46 PMThanks for trying but like I said I have nothing to prove and now I'm just coming off as a whining XXXXXXX. My responses were in August and those were earlier.
Enjoy the moment..
Here are all your posts. I can see you did have concerns for the O-Line but it doesn't mean you were the only one. It adds to my point. You did seem to have a debate with one person. Although I didn't read through everything. I hope I didn't give you a hard time over it.
https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?action=profile;u=2712;area=showposts;start=210
~ Coach Tom Coughlin