News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What led to the disconnect?

Started by Ed Vette, October 09, 2023, 11:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 09, 2023, 01:54:57 PMHere are all your posts. I can see you did have concerns for the O-Line but it doesn't mean you were the only one. It adds to my point. You did seem to have a debate with one person. Although I didn't read through everything. I hope I didn't give you a hard time over it.
https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?action=profile;u=2712;area=showposts;start=210

Ed if I may I did find this.  So RT is correct about his concern about the line.  But was also incorrect at the reaction to his concern which wasn't as harsh as it was portrayed.  The response to his point were made were about the amount of resources the Giants have and that pouring more resources into the line would have come at a cost of other needs they had and still have.

Quote from: RelaxTension on August 17, 2023, 02:02:57 PMNot sure why some are happy about this oline which is currently rank close to the bottom of the league without even seeing them play together yet.

I feel that grading players is too difficult to accomplish but it's pretty unanimous that they aren't good or significantly better with one playing instead of another.. That's all not counting Thomas who would make them a significantly worse oline without him but still not close to average even with him..
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

RelaxTension

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 01:58:31 PMEd if I may I did find this.  So RT is correct about his concern about the line.  But was also incorrect at the reaction to his concern which wasn't as harsh as it was portrayed.  The response to his point were made were about the amount of resources the Giants have and that pouring more resources into the line would have come at a cost of other needs they had and still have.

The abuse came when I stated I don't see why fans have trust with Schoen and Dabs after just one season especially without improving the oline during this off season.
Thanks for trying and you weren't one of the assholes. 
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Rambo89

Quote from: RelaxTension on October 09, 2023, 02:16:32 PMThe abuse came when I stated I don't see why fans have trust with Schoen and Dabs after just one season without improving the oline during this off season.
Thanks for trying and you weren't one of the assholes. 

In fairness I didn't see the responses to be abusive any more so than the normal back and forth on this forum.  You were correct though in concerns you had about the line going into the season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy
In here, #Giants ignoring swing OT all offseason seemed like a small oversight that now has mushroomed into a crippling disaster. https://nypost.com/2023/10/09/daniel-jones-injury-underscores-giants-offensive-line-crisis/

Why no signings or draft picks?

Why was Tyre Phillips (5 starts in '22) cut?

Why was Matt Peart kept if coaches dont trust him to play OT? He couldve been swapped out for another team's post-camp cut.

Josh Ezeudu is a backup guard playing LT and RG Marcus McKethan is 6th round pick who missed his entire rookie season due to injury and  didnt practice with the starters all summer. How are they supposed to succeed?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

Man, Neal really is the biggest disappointment. A 2nd year #7 pick scoring in the 30s and 40s regularly on PFF is a huge setback.   Phillips Gates, or Feliciano would definitely help right now.  If the offseason were today, I'd cut some vets Campbell, Leo. Adoree,  Shep, and sign a top RT and draft o line depth to weed out the Pearts and Lemuixs.

MightyGiants

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1711754718186189200?s=20

Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy
Talked to an NFL offensive coach and an NFL scout who both believe #Giants Josh Ezeudu's best position moving forward is tackle, not guard. He played OT at #UNC.

So, why was he not getting 2nd team OT reps during training camp?

My guess (my words) is #nyg were trying to build a "best six" OL where Ezeudu could be main backup at 4 positions and figured he needed more work at guard than tackle to pull it off. Weren't expecting to be in this spot without Andrew Thomas for so long, so early.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 11:59:42 AMhttps://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1711754718186189200?s=20

Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy
Talked to an NFL offensive coach and an NFL scout who both believe #Giants Josh Ezeudu's best position moving forward is tackle, not guard. He played OT at #UNC.

So, why was he not getting 2nd team OT reps during training camp?

My guess (my words) is #nyg were trying to build a "best six" OL where Ezeudu could be main backup at 4 positions and figured he needed more work at guard than tackle to pull it off. Weren't expecting to be in this spot without Andrew Thomas for so long, so early.
I watched film of him before and after that draft and I saw him as a Tackle too. I said it then and mentioned it to a few people at camp. I thought I was alone on that deduction.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

Well he didn't move too well the other day but I will say the young man is passionate and I like that he deeply cares. I assume he is a hard worker who wants to improve. I'd like to see him get a chance if that's his best spot

Ed Vette

Quote from: Trench on October 10, 2023, 07:59:38 PMWell he didn't move too well the other day but I will say the young man is passionate and I like that he deeply cares. I assume he is a hard worker who wants to improve. I'd like to see him get a chance if that's his best spot
I think they should work with him and see if he has a place to return next season. He's been clearly overwhelmed so hopefully he can improve. I remember one year the Giants having a six sack day on a rookie OT for the Eagles. He turned out to be an all pro.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 10, 2023, 09:33:49 PMI think they should work with him and see if he has a place to return next season. He's been clearly overwhelmed so hopefully he can improve. I remember one year the Giants having a six sack day on a rookie OT for the Eagles. He turned out to be an all pro.

John Runyan was a rookie that year Osi used him like a shopping cart?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

uconnjack8

Quote from: TDToomer on October 11, 2023, 10:43:42 PMJohn Runyan was a rookie that year Osi used him like a shopping cart?

It wasn't Runyan.  He played RT.  Forgot who the guy was on the left side.   Eagles never game him help the entire game.

Edit:  just remembered it was Winston Justice

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 12, 2023, 08:26:58 AMIt wasn't Runyan.  He played RT.  Forgot who the guy was on the left side.   Eagles never game him help the entire game.

Edit:  just remembered it was Winston Justice

Thanks for refreshing my memory. It was Strahan that tussled with Runyan on the other side.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Ezeudu is a better tackle, I also think he'd be playing a little better if the rest of the line was stable. I just don't know that he translates to RT.

First Domino to fall is figuring out if Neal can be a good tackle or guard. He just now has a year of game tape because he was injured last season. So it really is early and the fan base aren't going to want to give him 5 years to figure it out.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 12, 2023, 04:20:50 PMEzeudu is a better tackle, I also think he'd be playing a little better if the rest of the line was stable. I just don't know that he translates to RT.

First Domino to fall is figuring out if Neal can be a good tackle or guard. He just now has a year of game tape because he was injured last season. So it really is early and the fan base aren't going to want to give him 5 years to figure it out.

At what point did Andrew Thomas start to make a leap?  Was it game 1 of year 2 or a few games in when it became noticeable?

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 12, 2023, 07:05:54 PMAt what point did Andrew Thomas start to make a leap?  Was it game 1 of year 2 or a few games in when it became noticeable?
I think Thomas had ups and downs even in year 2 but I can't remember exactly.

I think people forget Neal only started 13 games last season, so counting the 5 games this season he's really only played 18 games, and most of that with a revolving door at RG.