News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Week 6.

Started by Torus34, October 12, 2023, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torus34

We New Yorkers can, if statistics are any guide at all, look forward to the New Jersey Giants and the New Jersey Jets carving another loss into their record. The scorekeepers will record it and get set for Week 7. There's an appropriate verse from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, by Edward Fitzgerald:

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

"Nother week in the season as the two teams play out the string.

Regards to all. j

Bob In PA

Torus: Great post. Please do consider being more active here.

I'll wager no other sports board anywhere has a post referring to the "Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam."

Nicely done... and quite apt under the circumstances.

Bob

PS to Painter:  Take note... Torus presents some competition for your (and my) obscure references. LOL
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Torus34

Hi, Bob in PA.

I've followed the good and bad years of Big Blue from the days of Charlie Conerly. Along the way, thanks to the G.I. Bill, I picked up a classical education and a deep love and respect for our marvelously malleable language. You've seen the result.

There are better days ahead for the Giants, just not this year, I'm afraid. We can still savor those plays in every game where things work right and cheers are in order.  They will happen midst the turnovers and fumbles.

Bright, cool days enthrall.
Cheers erupting from packed stands.
NFL football.

Regards, and best wishes to you and yours.