News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you even tag Barkley in 2024 at this point?

Started by DaveBrown74, October 12, 2023, 02:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: WheresDayne on October 13, 2023, 08:54:05 AMWho are the best current trade partners for Barkley?  Which teams are close to a championship and need a feature back or at least a complimentary back?

Dolphins potentially, given Achane suffered a serious injury.

Chiefs could easily justify it as they lack playmakers in general right now.

All of the AFC North teams (in particular the Browns and Ravens) make sense, particularly if they win their next couple of games and are clearly in the hunt.

I think there would be substantial interest, especially if the price were just simply a 5th rounder (or even a 4th). You get a high level playmaker and have no obligation beyond this year. For someone who is thinking Super Bowl this season, that's pretty enticing.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 13, 2023, 09:50:25 AMDolphins potentially, given Achane suffered a serious injury.

All of the AFC North teams (in particular the Browns and Ravens) make sense, particularly if they win their next couple of games and are clearly in the hunt.

I think there would be substantial interest, especially if the price were just simply a 5th rounder (or even a 4th). You get a high level playmaker and have no obligation beyond this year. For someone who is thinking Super Bowl this season, that's pretty enticing.

I have to get more up to date.  Thought Achane was going to be out 2 weeks. 

Was thinking about the Chiefs for what you referenced but their deficiency is really in the WR area.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 13, 2023, 09:50:25 AMDolphins potentially, given Achane suffered a serious injury.

Dolphins have like 3 RBs that are all fairly good.  Though Achane seems to be the best of the bunch.  And they just traded for Claypool for some reason so I kinda feel like they're out.  And Pacheco on the chiefs is great so they would probably look elsewhere, perhaps WR, rather than RB.  The Ravens are interesting though.  Barkley and Lamar Jackson in the same backfield is pretty terrifying for defenses.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 13, 2023, 10:30:31 AMI have to get more up to date.  Thought Achane was going to be out 2 weeks. 

Was thinking about the Chiefs for what you referenced but their deficiency is really in the WR area.

Yeah Achane is on the IR. So minimum of four games. Also Mostert always gets hurt at some point so I could see them being interested in Barkley.

That's true about the Chiefs, although they're not exactly loaded at RB. Pacheco is very good but CEH stinks, and McKinnon is a JAG. Barkley would add a new dimension. I agree they're not the most obvious location though.

Jclayton92

A lot of these great teams don't invest in Rbs and so I doubt they would. They just draft 5th and 7th rounders that hit.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 13, 2023, 11:49:00 AMA lot of these great teams don't invest in Rbs and so I doubt they would. They just draft 5th and 7th rounders that hit.

Agreed although you could say that about the 49ers pre McCaffrey and look what he is doing for them. And that involved taking on a huge contract, which nobody would have to do with Barkley. He's a pure rental and a pretty good one when he's healthy. If I were someone like the browns and I'm 4-2 I would do it for a 5th. And you know me - I am no believer in paying RBs. This would be a purely tactical short term play.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 13, 2023, 10:46:12 AMYeah Achane is on the IR. So minimum of four games. Also Mostert always gets hurt at some point so I could see them being interested in Barkley.

That's true about the Chiefs, although they're not exactly loaded at RB. Pacheco is very good but CEH stinks, and McKinnon is a JAG. Barkley would add a new dimension. I agree they're not the most obvious location though.

Pacheco is becoming their lead back so I doubt it will be the Chiefs.
The Dolphins can just replace Achane with Jeff Wilson who is eligible to return from IR so they are likely out.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on October 13, 2023, 12:03:12 PMPacheco is becoming their lead back so I doubt it will be the Chiefs.
The Dolphins can just replace Achane with Jeff Wilson who is eligible to return from IR so they are likely out.

Wilson isn't a big time talent though. He's not really "replacing" Achane, other than just be being a JAG occupying a roster spot.

Woody

Quote from: babywhales on October 12, 2023, 02:36:45 PMBarkley must be traded
Very likely at this point all things considered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woody

Quote from: Jaime on October 12, 2023, 06:01:01 PMI would get Barkley healthy #:-S
Showcase him in a couple games (and pray he isn't injured) then quickly trade him to the highest bidder.
Time is running out.   Trade deadline for this year OCT 31. I think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on October 13, 2023, 07:17:28 AMBarkley is the Giants best offensive weapon, maybe their best player period, and I still hope they trade him. The Giants need to fundamentally change their core players to alter the franchise's trajectory, which includes one of NFLs worst records since Barkley's arrival. When I view our roster, there's only a handful of players I'd retain to initiate my rebuild:

Banks
Hawkins
Thomas
JMS
Dex
Thibs
Hyatt
Robinson (if he can stay healthy)

The insanity of trotting out the same offensive leaders and hoping for a different result needs to end.  For the past 5 years, this offense has struggled to score points, in an era explicitly designed to facilitate more offense/points; worse, they've been/are, excruciatingly boring to watch...enough already.  It's time for a fundamental shift.

I like your list though I am having less faith in Dex now. 

Leek21

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 12, 2023, 02:08:59 PMI mean the guy is constantly hurt and he's getting old (by RB standards). Do you believe the Giants should spend a fully guaranteed $12mm on him next year? If the answer is no, can it be assumed that you are in favor of trading him ASAP, since the season (in practical terms at least) is pretty much over?

Does anyone still want to see him get a contract or wish the Giants had acquiesced to his demands in the last season and had given him a multi-year contract?

I would trade any player for the right price.  But I wouldn't trade Barkley for anything less than a mid 2nd round pick, preferably 1st round pick.  And I don't think anyone is going to offer that.  So I would definitely tag him or sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal.  He's the best player on the team when healthy.

AYM

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 12, 2023, 08:54:36 PMDefine "cheap" though. Is $8-$9mm cheap for a RB?

Do you think he'll be less than that?

I don't have a number, but likely significantly less than that. Nobody's going to pay much for him at the rate he's going, so maybe the Giants give him a bonus to stick around.

Miles Sanders got about $6.4 million/year from Carolina. I think Barkley's value - at the rate he's going - would be less than that. It may take him awhile to accept it, but that's the reality.

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on October 13, 2023, 12:35:59 PMI like your list though I am having less faith in Dex now. 

No arguments here; unfortunately, he doesn't show up against the leagues best offensive lines. Still a good player though. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on October 13, 2023, 03:45:58 PMI don't have a number, but likely significantly less than that. Nobody's going to pay much for him at the rate he's going, so maybe the Giants give him a bonus to stick around.

Miles Sanders got about $6.4 million/year from Carolina. I think Barkley's value - at the rate he's going - would be less than that. It may take him awhile to accept it, but that's the reality.

I'll be really surprised if the market for Barkley drops below that or even is equal to that. Sanders has an injury history too, and he's not in Barkley's league talent-wise.

The issue is Barkley just doesn't fit into the Giants' stage in the cycle right now. Maybe before 2023 they thought they were closer to contention than they are, but it's clear that they're nowhere near contention. The team stinks in almost every are of the roster. Barkley is aging and is an expensive vet at a cheap position. They're better off moving him, and no, we're not getting a 1st or 2nd rounder for him. No chance.