News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - NCAA Football Week 7 Thread

Started by DaveBrown74, October 14, 2023, 12:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Sneaky good day of action today. Including a few games of interest (some have already started):

Syracuse at FSU: Is FSU definitely real? They do have a signature win in having blown out LSU, but that was week one, and they haven't done anything that convincing since. Syracuse is obviously a clear underdog here, but can they give the 'Noles are run for their money?

Indiana at UMich: This should be a blowout, obviously, as Michigan could be the best team in the country. Good opportunity for NFL fans to get eyes on JJ McCarthy, who should be a top three or four QB prospect in the upcoming draft.

Oregon at Wash: Heavyweight Pac-12 battle. Huge implications for the NCAA playoff picture.

Miami at UNC: Intriguing ACC matchup and a chance to look at Drake Maye, another top QB prospect.

USC at ND: ND's loss to Louisville cost them any realistic playoff hopes, but this is still a hugely high profile game and a chance to watch Caleb Williams against a legit defense in a hostile environment.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 14, 2023, 12:37:29 PMSneaky good day of action today. Including a few games of interest (some have already started):

Syracuse at FSU: Is FSU definitely real? They do have a signature win in having blown out LSU, but that was week one, and they haven't done anything that convincing since. Syracuse is obviously a clear underdog here, but can they give the 'Noles are run for their money?

Indiana at UMich: This should be a blowout, obviously, as Michigan could be the best team in the country. Good opportunity for NFL fans to get eyes on JJ McCarthy, who should be a top three or four QB prospect in the upcoming draft.

Oregon at Wash: Heavyweight Pac-12 battle. Huge implications for the NCAA playoff picture.

Miami at UNC: Intriguing ACC matchup and a chance to look at Drake Maye, another top QB prospect.

USC at ND: ND's loss to Louisville cost them any realistic playoff hopes, but this is still a hugely high profile game and a chance to watch Caleb Williams against a legit defense in a hostile environment.
I hope all the heavyweights lose so that if Ole Miss runs the table we are talking playoffs but that's unrealistic so I'll take great football instead.

Excited to watch Maye, Penix, and a few other Qbs today.

uconnjack8

Really want to watch Caleb William's against the ND D.  I have seen them play a couple of games and I agree their D is legit....the O, not so much. 

William's will be playing on the road in weather he probably doesn't play in often. 

Full disclosure I have a moneyline bet on USC.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 14, 2023, 02:19:02 PMI hope all the heavyweights lose so that if Ole Miss runs the table we are talking playoffs but that's unrealistic so I'll take great football instead.

Excited to watch Maye, Penix, and a few other Qbs today.

If Ole Miss runs the table and wins the SEC championship I would think they'll get in. That would include a regular season win in Georgia and whoever they beat in the conference championship. They'd be top three if they did that. As you said though that's asking a hell of a lot.

I can't make up my mind on JJ McCarthy. He's obviously a good player, I'm just not sure how good. I am definitely of the view that Williams and Maye (in that order) stand above all the others, but haven't made my mind up on whether McCarthy is my third yet. He might be better off doing another year at Michigan.

DaveBrown74

Impressive showing here by Arkansas in Bama. Milroe just isn't very good. Neither is Rees as a coordinator. I think Bama will hold on, but this would be an absolutely brutal loss for them if it happened. Arkansas is 2-4 for crying out loud.

JT39

If we take Bo Nix at any point in the draft... Schoen should be fired. There's no worse big game QB in college football.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 14, 2023, 02:32:24 PMIf Ole Miss runs the table and wins the SEC championship I would think they'll get in. That would include a regular season win in Georgia and whoever they beat in the conference championship. They'd be top three if they did that. As you said though that's asking a hell of a lot.

I can't make up my mind on JJ McCarthy. He's obviously a good player, I'm just not sure how good. I am definitely of the view that Williams and Maye (in that order) stand above all the others, but haven't made my mind up on whether McCarthy is my third yet. He might be better off doing another year at Michigan.
Yeah Ole Miss would need Alabama to lose twice and I don't think they will to be in the SEC title game. If they do by some chance beat Georgia then not being in the SEC championship game might be a blessing

I think JJ is a really accurate thrower and creator the problem is that Michigan doesn't give him the opportunity to do it enough.

Williams and Maye are the top 2 and Mccarthy, Sanders, and Ewers fighting for 3,4,5.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 14, 2023, 02:32:24 PMIf Ole Miss runs the table and wins the SEC championship I would think they'll get in. That would include a regular season win in Georgia and whoever they beat in the conference championship. They'd be top three if they did that. As you said though that's asking a hell of a lot.

Michigan's offensive identity is about long drives and time of possession.  Also with the blowouts, JJ is getting taken out at the end of the 3rd Q in every game so his stats are for only about 2 1/2 quarters.

He made some running throws today that definitely got the eye of Schoen, Beane and Lynch.  He has gorgeous mechanics and a very live arm.  He has a great process of meditating before games so he is always very calm.

That said, I know he can make all the throws.  What I want to see more are tight window throws.  CBs have not covered the WRs well enough that I've had to see that.  Wait til Kalen King and Penn State play Michigan.  If he is making completions to Roman Wilson with King covering, that will be telling.  King played some games last year where he was noticeably better than Joey Porter, Jr. 

JT39

The top end QBs are struggling today. Caleb Williams looks mortal against a good defense. Go figure...

JT39

3 INTs for Caleb Williams in the first half.

This loaded QB class might be a little light in the pants...

uconnjack8

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 14, 2023, 02:24:37 PMReally want to watch Caleb William's against the ND D.  I have seen them play a couple of games and I agree their D is legit....the O, not so much. 

William's will be playing on the road in weather he probably doesn't play in often. 

Full disclosure I have a moneyline bet on USC.

This has not aged well.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 14, 2023, 08:54:02 PMThis has not aged well.

Lots of time left. If anyone can pull the comeback it's Caleb Williams.

That said he looks off tonight.

sooners56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 14, 2023, 09:05:25 PMLots of time left. If anyone can pull the comeback it's Caleb Williams.

Lack of protection will do that to QBs.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 14, 2023, 02:49:17 PMImpressive showing here by Arkansas in Bama. Milroe just isn't very good. Neither is Rees as a coordinator. I think Bama will hold on, but this would be an absolutely brutal loss for them if it happened. Arkansas is 2-4 for crying out loud.

Arkansas has a good D, their oline and skills are a problem. KJ Jefferson is a guy I'd take a late round flier on and hope he's a Hurts variant. He's big, strong, fast, and has a cannon.

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 14, 2023, 09:05:25 PMLots of time left. If anyone can pull the comeback it's Caleb Williams.

He's been bad but the play calling has been atrocious. Two runs under a minute to go from midfield?

Not one throw past the LOS inside the 10? Weird stuff.