News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants' leaders 'not really being heard,' Xavier McKinney says

Started by MightyGiants, November 06, 2023, 08:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

QuoteLAS VEGAS -- In safety Xavier McKinney's estimation, something is not right with the New York Giants. The leaders on the team are not being heard, and it contributed to the 30-6 drubbing they took Sunday at the hands of the Las Vegas Raiders at Allegiant Stadium.

The Giants (2-7) allowed the Raiders, with a new coach and offensive coordinator six days on the job, to score on four of their six possessions in the first half. New York's offense again looked sloppy, and Las Vegas led 27-0 at halftime in a game in which the Giants lost starting quarterback Daniel Jones likely for the season.

"Honestly, it sucks. But, I don't know, man. I don't really have many words. I think that from a leadership standpoint, I don't think they've done a great job of letting the leaders lead, and listening to the leaders and the captains," said McKinney, one of the team's 10 captains elected prior to the start of the season. "But obviously it sucks losing."

McKinney seemed to be talking about the coaching staff and/or team's brass. That is under coach Brian Daboll's purview.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38829697/giants-leaders-not-being-heard-xavier-mckinney-says
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Ed Vette

Too bad he didn't say that before the trade deadline. 😂
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Woody

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:51:39 AMhttps://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38829697/giants-leaders-not-being-heard-xavier-mckinney-says
having ten captains says it all . The coach has no respect for a captain and what they should represent.
ten ? just candles on top of a make me feel good cake.

TDToomer

Quote from: Woody on November 06, 2023, 09:21:25 AMhaving ten captains says it all . The coach has no respect for a captain and what they should represent.
ten ? just candles on top of a make me feel good cake.

Bingo. Daboll should have an ear for team leaders but not 10 all at once.
McKinney sounds like he wants out. My guess is he is close with Love in Seattle and is getting an inside perspective of how other teams run things.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:51:39 AMhttps://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38829697/giants-leaders-not-being-heard-xavier-mckinney-says
Rich: I was already aware of this view (especially as pertains to McKinney). It will be interesting to see if the Giants/Schoen/Daboll will "go old school" yet again with THIS issue (i.e., trade him) or actually listen to what the player has to say.  In 21st century pro ball it is my understanding from people in-the-know that you at least listen and you do not "punish" (in any sense of the word) a player for speaking up in the context and manner as McKinney just did. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 09:37:37 AMRich: I was already aware of this view (especially as pertains to McKinney). It will be interesting to see if the Giants/Schoen/Daboll will "go old school" yet again with THIS issue (i.e., trade him) or actually listen to what the player has to say.  In 21st century pro ball it is my understanding from people in-the-know that you at least listen and you do not "punish" (in any sense of the word) a player for speaking up in the context and manner as McKinney just did. Bob
The problem I have with this is he went public and that's a Tiki.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 09:37:37 AMRich: I was already aware of this view (especially as pertains to McKinney). It will be interesting to see if the Giants/Schoen/Daboll will "go old school" yet again with THIS issue (i.e., trade him) or actually listen to what the player has to say.  In 21st century pro ball it is my understanding from people in-the-know that you at least listen and you do not "punish" (in any sense of the word) a player for speaking up in the context and manner as McKinney just did. Bob

It's past the trading deadline, and McKinney is a free agent at the end of the season.

Still, I hope that Daboll and company can put their egos aside and listen to the point McKinney is making.  McKinney doesn't strike me as a malcontent so perhaps there is truth (value) in what he has to say.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 06, 2023, 09:39:22 AMThe problem I have with this is he went public and that's a Tiki.
Ed: That's my point to Rich. These days teams are more likely to let that issue slide than in the 20th century. Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 09:41:36 AMIt's past the trading deadline, and McKinney is a free agent at the end of the season.

Still, I hope that Daboll and company can put their egos aside and listen to the point McKinney is making.  McKinney doesn't strike me as a malcontent so perhaps there is truth (value) in what he has to say.

Rich: I'm aware. I was referring to post-season free-agency period. Hope they keep him. He's a smart player, IMO.

TDToomer

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 09:56:56 AMRich: I'm aware. I was referring to post-season free-agency period. Hope they keep him. He's a smart player, IMO.

Name the last drafted Safety that the Giants resigned to contract #2. I got Terry Kinard and nothing since.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Bob In PA

Quote from: TDToomer on November 06, 2023, 10:00:11 AMName the last drafted Safety that the Giants resigned to contract #2. I got Terry Kinard and nothing since.
TD: If he hadn't got injured, the situation would have been different with Kenny Phillips.  He was IMO on a path to be in the Giants' top-three all-time safeties. Bob

AZGiantFan

With 10 "captains", could it be a case of too many cooks spoil the broth?  Would it maybe be better with an offensive captain, a defensive captain, and a ST captain?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TDToomer

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 10:19:02 AMTD: If he hadn't got injured, the situation would have been different with Kenny Phillips.  He was IMO on a path to be in the Giants' top-three all-time safeties. Bob

There was no guarantee that Reese would have extended him. Shawn Williams was on a similar path. So there is bad injury luck with some of these safeties not being retained but mostly it seems like Safety is never a priority or a position to allocate salary cap to whether it's Young, Accorsi, Reese or Gettleman running the show. Hell George young let both Myron Guyton and Greg Jackson go in the same offseason once in 94!