News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Evaluating Daboll as a head coach

Started by MightyGiants, November 06, 2023, 10:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I broke it down by the elements that I think make a quality headcoach

Player development-  Mixed. The Giants have done a great job developing their young CBs, but a terrible job developing their O-linemen.  Their TE development is questionable. However, they seemed to have done well at ILB (albeit a bit later than ideal, which would have been the start of the season) and are doing a good job developing Hyatt and Robinson.

Game Management-  Started out strong, but at this point seems to be below average.

Leadership and Motivation-  Not horrible, but the team doesn't seem to come out every week fired up.  However, players (with the new exception of McKenzie) seem pretty happy to play for Daboll and NYG.

Game Plans-  The defensive plans seem pretty good, but the offensive game plans, not so much.

Staffing- While there is a clear failure at the O-line coaching position and possibly OC, the rest of the coaching staff seems pretty solid.

So I guess the question is, do you throw out Daboll and start over yet again?  OR  Do you make some tweaks and fire the O-line coach, the game coordinator, the ST coach, and the OC and give Daboll another year?

I believe there are some solid qualities in Daboll that make it worth tweaking the coaching staff to see if he can develop into a champion-caliber HC.  I think his ability to relate to players and his sound process of creating his coaching staff is worth building on.  I think a new coach to help with in-game decisions or Daboll learning to use that coach's advice if he is ignoring him, should improve his game management.

NOW A DIFFERENT WAY TO EVALUATE DABOLL:

Things I like:

I like how they drafted and developed the CBs

I liked how he coached his rookie season

I like how he has good give-and-take with his players

Things I didn't like

Adoree Jackson returning punts

STs in general

The O-line and this year's offensive scheme

Many of the game decisions this year (I think his decisions cost victories against the Bills and the Jets).

Losing his cool in the Buffalo game

Odd decisions like two kickers on the 53-man roster

Failure to have the team ready to come out strong in game one.  Slow starts in most games, period

Failure to have a counterpunch when teams figured out last year's offense

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I wouldn't throw Daboll or Schoen out after this season myself, and I doubt Mara does. I think both need/deserve a shot with a guy they themselves 100% own at QB. Blaming this whole season on them seems like a mistake. Plus I think they have enough good will from 2022 that they should get another year based on that alone.

ozzie

I think both Daboll & Schoen are safe. We've been rotating coaches every two years and that's no way to build a winner. I think the Giants made good, solid choices at both Head coach & GM, a new position for both. There will be hiccups from both as they grow into their roles and that is what the Giants need to let them do.
As miserable as this season is, I think the Giants have a good foundation moving forward. Let them continue to build on it.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ozzie on November 07, 2023, 10:06:44 PMI think both Daboll & Schoen are safe. We've been rotating coaches every two years and that's no way to build a winner. I think the Giants made good, solid choices at both Head coach & GM, a new position for both. There will be hiccups from both as they grow into their roles and that is what the Giants need to let them do.
As miserable as this season is, I think the Giants have a good foundation moving forward. Let them continue to build on it.

It's miserable right now, but we do have:

A proven, premiere left tackle who is only 24.

A proven, premiere defensive tackle who is only 25.

A steadily improving 22 year old edge rusher who is one of the league's sack leaders in just his second year.

A talented, explosive young wide receiver who has the ability to make big plays downfield and could develop meaningfully with better QB play.

Last year's coach of the year.

I'm not sugar-coating anything. This year is nothing short of a five car pile-up, and we have a million problems, including having no good QB. But some of the above pieces are premium positions, and for that reason I would call them foundational. If we can solve the QB problem in the draft (big if), we'll have more to work with than your typical team picking in the top 3 or 4.

Hadron

The Giants weren't left with a great roster after Gettleman's regime...departed. Needless to say, few expected overnight results even after a fluky season that mirrored 2016. Unfortunately, Jones isn't the answer at QB and Barkley isn't a long term solution either.

Still, the Giants need to see more out of Schoen's draft classes.

kingm56

Quote from: Hadron on November 07, 2023, 10:36:00 PMThe Giants weren't left with a great roster after Gettleman's regime...departed. Needless to say, few expected overnight results even after a fluky season that mirrored 2016. Unfortunately, Jones isn't the answer at QB and Barkley isn't a long term solution either.

Still, the Giants need to see more out of Schoen's draft classes.

Well said, Hardon.  This isn't overly complicated, coaches prosper when they have good players, especially a top 10 QB; they fail when they're saddled with average to below-avg talent.  Bill B has learned this very simple lesson over the last 3-years.   Like Hou or Jaq, the Giants will become competitive again when they draft the right QB, and fans can go back to complementing the coaches; it really does baffle me, last year fans were singing the HC and OC praises....just 7 months later they stink. 

Giant Obsession

Quote from: kingm56 on November 08, 2023, 12:02:45 AMWell said, Hardon.  This isn't overly complicated, coaches prosper when they have good players, especially a top 10 QB; they fail when they're saddled with average to below-avg talent.  Bill B has learned this very simple lesson over the last 3-years.   Like Hou or Jaq, the Giants will become competitive again when they draft the right QB, and fans can go back to complementing the coaches; it really does baffle me, last year fans were singing the HC and OC praises....just 7 months later they stink. 

It wasn't just the fans singing their praises.  Executives from teams doing or requesting interviews from both coordinators became a reality.

Sadly there seems to be a real shortage of grizzled, paid their dues the traditional way coaches in the pipeline.  And in my opinion, all these young bucks are eager to reinvent the wheel. And the GM's and owners, even the old school owners like ours think throwing money around will mollify the weaknesses of their clubs and keep the fans satisfied.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

I asked Chat GTP (AI) what traits make a good NFL HC

Being a successful NFL head coach requires a unique combination of skills, personality traits, and experience. Here are some of the key traits that are often found in the most successful NFL head coaches:

Leadership: This is arguably the most important trait. A good coach must be able to lead men, earn their respect, and motivate them to work together towards common goals.

Football Knowledge: A deep understanding of the game is critical. This includes strategy, tactics, rules, and the subtleties of different positions and plays.

Adaptability: The ability to adjust strategies before and during games is vital. A good coach must adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of their own team as well as to the strategies of the opponent.

Decision Making: A coach must make quick, decisive, and often tough decisions under pressure, whether it's during game management or in player personnel matters.

Communication: Clear communication with players, assistants, the front office, and the media is essential. This includes both speaking and listening effectively.

Discipline: Coaches need to maintain discipline within the team, ensuring that all players adhere to team policies and remain focused on their goals.

Emotional Intelligence: The ability to manage one's own emotions and understand and influence the emotions of others (players, coaches, staff) is crucial in a high-pressure environment.

Work Ethic: NFL head coaches often work incredibly long hours and must be dedicated to the job. They should set an example for their players and staff.

Attention to Detail: Whether it's in game preparation, player development, or in-game adjustments, attention to detail can be the difference between winning and losing.

Resilience: The ability to handle setbacks, criticism, and pressure without losing focus or confidence is essential, especially in a league where the margin for error is very slim.

Player Development: A coach must not only design strategies but also help players improve their skills and adapt to the NFL's level of play.

Team Building: A coach must foster a strong team identity and culture, where players buy into a shared vision and work selflessly for the team.

Innovation: The best coaches often bring innovative ideas to their teams, whether in play-calling, training methods, or player utilization.

Management Skills: Beyond just coaching, head coaches often have a hand in personnel decisions, requiring an understanding of salary cap management, drafting, and roster construction.

Physical and Mental Stamina: The long seasons, intense media scrutiny, and the pressure to win can be grueling. Coaches must maintain their physical and mental health to remain effective.

Integrity: Coaches are role models and are expected to operate with a high level of integrity, setting the standard for their players on and off the field.

Successful NFL head coaches may not possess all of these traits at the highest level, but they typically exhibit most of them. The best coaches also continue to learn and evolve throughout their careers to keep up with the ever-changing landscape of the NFL.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

Daboll taking the kickoff against the jets in overtime shows me this year he has no idea what he is doing
Maybe the stress is getting to him
Most plays you can have an amswer for
There is no answer taking that kick in overtime
Thsy should of kicked off to the jets and have us win the game
Also we were minus 9 yrds the whole game
What was the reason

Gmo11

Quote from: ralphpal1 on November 08, 2023, 12:03:36 PMDaboll taking the kickoff against the jets in overtime shows me this year he has no idea what he is doing
Maybe the stress is getting to him
Most plays you can have an amswer for
There is no answer taking that kick in overtime
Thsy should of kicked off to the jets and have us win the game
Also we were minus 9 yrds the whole game
What was the reason

Tommy Devito was the reason.  He should have kicked off in OT though.

Jaime

We can do better than Daboll. Coach of the year & us firing a couple HC's prior to Daboll isn't enough of a reason to keep him on for a third year IMHO. Injuries aside, we weren't prepared to play in three lopsided losses.

spiderblue43

If Schoen and Daboll do draft a promising rookie qb who makes strides..I think will prevent a tear down of leadership after next year.

Plus, the inclusion of a new OL. ST..and OC coaches that show results. The schedule next year won't be as daunting but they have to admit how poorly they are run. Can they?

The Jones/Barkley Era is over. Do they realize that?,The injury morass never ends. Will they address that?

If they show self-awareness during the off-season and commit to turning these chronic problems for years around..

Daboll can survive and move beyond this current disaster