News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Interesting story of what went on between Pierce and McDaniels

Started by MightyGiants, November 07, 2023, 07:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

https://x.com/JayGlazer/status/1721217664390140012?s=20

"He brought up the old Giants team that beat the (Patriots), Josh McDaniels' team, in the Super Bowl in the 2007 season," Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported. "He said, 'no matter who we played, we thought we could beat them. We had a game plan where we could beat them. We had to believe that and that's not here. We have to believe that at the Raiders, we can beat anybody.' He finishes up that speech, everyone thinks they're great except for Josh McDaniels.

"Josh McDaniels then goes over to him and says, 'don't ever talk about the Patriots like that.' And then you really saw how divided that building got. That got up to Mark Davis and I think Mark Davis looked at it and went, 'OK, I'm gonna choose the guy who believes that we can win every single week.'"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I honestly can't see how McDaniels gets another job in the NFL unless he goes back to NE.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

T200

What a baby! I read that story a few days ago and had a hearty laugh.

Pierce should have worn a shirt to work every day with "18-1" on it just for him!  :laugh:  :laugh:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

babywhales

Quote from: ozzie on November 07, 2023, 08:28:37 AMI honestly can't see how McDaniels gets another job in the NFL unless he goes back to NE.

Agreed, but he is does well as an OC. His next employer will not have to worry about him leaving for a HC job either. 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ozzie on November 07, 2023, 08:28:37 AMI honestly can't see how McDaniels gets another job in the NFL unless he goes back to NE.

You could be right, but I have a feeling someone will give him a job as an OC. I think the league fully understands that some guys just aren't wired right to be head coaches but are actually very good coordinators. The list of these types is very long.

Admittedly, most of those types are defensive coordinators, so you could end up being right for sure.

It never helps when your personality is seen to be abrasive and unlikeable, which McDaniels' definitely is. I also think the way he treated the Colts (backing out at the last minute despite a deal to be their coach being in place) rubbed a lot of people the wrong way from a personal integrity standpoint.

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 07, 2023, 07:33:38 AMhttps://x.com/JayGlazer/status/1721217664390140012?s=20

"He brought up the old Giants team that beat the (Patriots), Josh McDaniels' team, in the Super Bowl in the 2007 season," Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported. "He said, 'no matter who we played, we thought we could beat them. We had a game plan where we could beat them. We had to believe that and that's not here. We have to believe that at the Raiders, we can beat anybody.' He finishes up that speech, everyone thinks they're great except for Josh McDaniels.

"Josh McDaniels then goes over to him and says, 'don't ever talk about the Patriots like that.' And then you really saw how divided that building got. That got up to Mark Davis and I think Mark Davis looked at it and went, 'OK, I'm gonna choose the guy who believes that we can win every single week.'"

If this played out as written, and it sounds genuine based on the personalities at hand, then all I can say is I'm ecstatic for and proud of AP for this weekend's result. As for McDaniels, it couldn't have happened to a better man.

My only concern for Pierce is that he be careful with the emotional part and not become another Mike Singletary (i.e. 49ers head coach) whose lack of head coaching experience, laced with the passion and ferocity which made him a Hall of Fame inductee, caused him to fight with his own players until he ended up losing his entire team. But it was hard to see AP on the Raiders' sideline because he should really be on the Giants' instead.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 07, 2023, 11:39:55 AMCould we be looking at our next OC?

I doubt it. Mara is an integrity guy and McDaniels publicly proved he is lacking in this area.

ozzie

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 07, 2023, 11:39:55 AMCould we be looking at our next OC?
HAHA! If McDaniels got that worked up over the mention of the Pats losing to the Giants, I certainly can't imagine him WORKING for the Giants! His head would explode!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Philosophers

See how building a winner is not 100% about QB play but in instilling a belief they can win every game.

I imagine Pierce got elevated for stepping up.

kartanoman

An interesting commentary on the death of "The Patriot Way" with McDaniels' firing and the writing on the wall in New England.

As The Patriot Way dies out with McDaniels, Belichick and Garoppolo, we see it was always The Brady Way

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)