News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I wouldn't count Daniel Jones out, his obituary was written before

Started by MightyGiants, April 30, 2024, 09:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 12:32:40 PMI have heard this claim come up, but frankly it's juts not accurate as this chart clearly shows.

How quickly the pressure arrives matters a great deal and clearly the other two QBs had it significantly better than Jones

Another example of how stats are the fact-checkers of the "eye test".
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 30, 2024, 12:45:05 PMIs what I've highlighted that different from most QBs in the NFL? I tend to think not... which then merits in favor of moving on from him with a palatable short-term cap hit, because you can get similar (if not greater) production at a fraction of the cost.

But what he has had to deal with has been far worse than most QBs in the NFL.  So that argument is inapt.

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Trench on April 30, 2024, 01:15:56 PMThis is a good debate.

I would argue our backups played against some very strong teams and some who also made the playoffs.Stats do lie. It ain't everything. I'm sure someone adept at stats could find statistics that support my argument in some way.

Does anyone dispute the fact they BOTH moved the ball better than the $40 million QB?

Yes, 3 people just did by providing context.  But you have your mind made up and that's that.  And you keep giving the game away, like when you didn't know that the back-ups had Thomas when DJ didn't and just now when you completely misinterpreted the chart MG posted.

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

It's so comical to me that people are so bent on loving a pedestrian qb.

Jones produces the same as mills and mills gets replaced by Stroud.

Howell produces more than Jones in his first year and gets replaced immediately by jayden daniels.

But sure blame every one else for Jones not throwing beyond 10 yards..

The nfl is based on explosive plays of which Daniel jones cannot provide period. Even in his best yeat he refused to target downfield, and that isn't going to change.

So an oftinjured qb that refuses to throw downfield and now can't run..

But sure maybe just maybe he'll be the qb he's never ever been in year 6.

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 12:32:40 PMI have heard this claim come up, but frankly it's juts not accurate as this chart clearly shows.

How quickly the pressure arrives matters a great deal and clearly the other two QBs had it significantly better than Jones

Context, context context. Time to pressure is an extremely good stat to understand just how little time he actually had to throw. Over those 1st five games I'd be hard pressed just by the eyeball test in remembering any Giant QB that was barraged as quickly and consistently as he was in the last 40 something years.

Trench

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 30, 2024, 01:48:10 PMYes, 3 people just did by providing context.  But you have your mind made up and that's that.  And you keep giving the game away, like when you didn't know that the back-ups had Thomas when DJ didn't and just now when you completely misinterpreted the chart MG posted.

Ok since you feel the need to be aggressive, I simply read Mighty chart very differently is all. You all have your mind made up and continue to push false narratives and that's ok. Others feel opposite and that's ok too. Not sure what you mean by "keep giving the game away??"....

If the argument that our 2 backups outplayed Jones simply because Andrew Thomas was not available for Jones then I really don't know what to tell you. What I do know is we played much better with the backups (than with Jones). That is a fact.

If your argument is one person (Thomas) really makes that much of a difference, I would ask you why then you won't hold Jones as an individual to the same standard?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on April 30, 2024, 02:02:17 PMOk since you feel the need to be aggressive, I simply read Mighty chart very differently is all. You all have your mind made up and continue to push false narratives and that's ok. Others feel opposite and that's ok too. Not sure what you mean by "keep giving the game away??"....

If the argument that our 2 backups outplayed Jones simply because Andrew Thomas was not available for Jones then I really don't know what to tell you. What I do know is we played much better with the backups (than with Jones). That is a fact.

If your argument is one person (Thomas) really makes that much of a difference, I would ask you why then you won't hold Jones as an individual to the same standard?

Trench,

In all fairness, there is only one way to read the chart.  Factually speaking, even though Jones, Taylor, and DeVito played for the same team, the chart clearly shows (there is no room for interpretation) that the three of them faced very different situations.  So, while it's technically not wrong to suggest that two backups played better than Jones, it's not accurately describing the situation.   Two backups played better in much better conditions, which would be a far more appropriate way to say that.

I am not trying to dissuade you from believing that Jones is a poor quarterback, but I do think we should all try to be fair and accurate in how we portray the facts of the situation.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 02:09:06 PMTrench,

In all fairness, there is only one way to read the chart.  Factually speaking, even though Jones, Taylor, and DeVito played for the same team, the chart clearly shows (there is no room for interpretation) that the three of them faced very different situations.  So, while it's technically not wrong to suggest that two backups played better than Jones, it's not accurately describing the situation.   Two backups played better in much better conditions, which would be a far more appropriate way to say that.

I am not trying to dissuade you from believing that Jones is a poor quarterback, but I do think we should all try to be fair and accurate in how we portray the facts of the situation.

I'm being very fair. I simply do not use stats as my barometer and that's my right to do so. If I use stats for my evaluations, then garbage time points and yards in low leverage situations would play too much into my decisions on who is better than who. Instead, I choose to gauge my perception on what I see, the tempo, making plays under duress and in the clutch. And lastly - who wins. It has served me pretty well thus far as a sports fan.

I saw us play better with backups. That is a fact.

To be clear, I don't perceive Jones as a poor QB. I think he's pretty good. I just don't think he's franchise level. But if I'm proven wrong this year you have my word, I'll be the first to own it guys. 

babywhales

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 30, 2024, 11:15:09 AMBased on his class and work ethic, Jones is an easy guy to root for, but I have a hard time picturing him at quarterback after 2026 for a myriad of reasons.
I don't see him beyond the designed out year after 2024

Any growth will be leveraged into using his trade value to move on. 

My hunch is Jones never sees his 2025 and 2026 contract years in a Giants Uniform
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 30, 2024, 10:12:24 AMThe Giants had the worst offensive line in the league last year

Jones was pressured more frequently and quickly than any QB

Jones had no receiving threat of note

I am not sure what you define as excuses, but for those of us who try to be fair in our evaluations (we don't use charged language like "excuses"), Jones was put in a terrible situation for a QB to do well.  It's not to suggest that Jones doesn't need to step up his game, but I am not sure any QB could have done well in DJ's situation last year.

All the arguments against this exist on this forum. I won't reiterate them.  If you wish to ignore them for one-uppmanship - so be it.

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 30, 2024, 10:50:31 AMHere is my daily prayer: "Dear Lord, please let our message board be something other than more discussions about Daniel Jones that have been discussed with the exact same points more than ten thousand times ad nauseam, by naysayers who are too obsessed with the subject to let it go and move on and cheer our glorious team...the horse is not only dead, but it has been beaten into dust and even the dust no longer exists as it has blown away with the wind. Please don't let it keep coming back...Amen"

Ric

As long as the same people keep pushing their constant agenda, whether pro or anti, this will dominate. We know who these are and it is a constant thing just to try to score points.

I will join you in that prayer.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

With all due respect to the OP and everyone else who has posted in this thread, this is officially a boring topic now.

This thread has been played out for years now (with different precise thread titles), and it's still the same folks on both sides making their same points. Clearly those who think Jones is this really good, franchise QB who has been a victim of circumstance are not going to change their minds about that, and those who think he is a middling talent aren't going to either.

We can keep these endless, circular discussions going on all summer if that's really what people want, have things get heated for no reason, and still not persuade anyone, or we can just agree to let him play this year, see what happens, and then discuss his performance on the field.

If the above is not possible or not wanted, then I would humbly suggest we go back to a central "Jones Thread" for all Jones content, rather than going back and forth in 10 different threads concurrently until September (and likely beyond).

We're going into year six now. It's just not that interesting of a topic anymore. I also don't think it's a very controversial one anymore outside of this forum and a small contingent of Giants fans.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 30, 2024, 06:43:28 PMWith all due respect to the OP and everyone else who has posted in this thread, this is officially a boring topic now.

This thread has been played out for years now (with different precise thread titles), and it's still the same folks on both sides making their same points. Clearly those who think Jones is this really good, franchise QB who has been a victim of circumstance are not going to change their minds about that, and those who think he is a middling talent aren't going to either.

We can keep these endless, circular discussions going on all summer if that's really what people want, have things get heated for no reason, and still not persuade anyone, or we can just agree to let him play this year, see what happens, and then discuss his performance on the field.

If the above is not possible or not wanted, then I would humbly suggest we go back to a central "Jones Thread" for all Jones content, rather than going back and forth in 10 different threads concurrently until September (and likely beyond).

We're going into year six now. It's just not that interesting of a topic anymore. I also don't think it's a very controversial one anymore outside of this forum and a small contingent of Giants fans.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Daniel Jones- 24
#GoNabers
#GoSingletary
#GoFaOline
#GoHypesterz
Imagine the possibilities!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Thegratefulhead

Is what it is.

The team knows what plays were called.

They know if he can read a defense.

6 Qbs other teams thought worthy of a first round were drafted after the Giants picked.

It was reported we tried to trade for Maye.

Did we?

Everyone knew NE needed a QB and would need to be blown away, we didn't blow them away.(think about it)

Draft was great and we get to watch some exciting player.

BTW I wanted McCarthy at 6, I don't trust Jones to stay healthy and believe JJ will be the best QB drafted this year.

Is what it is.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.