News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Which was the team's best value pick

Started by MightyGiants, April 27, 2024, 04:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

While also accounting for value, who is your favorite

MightyGiants

I am not asking for your favorite or most impactful (although you can factor that into your vote).  The question is which pick had the most value?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I think Theo will be found to be a TE stud who slipped through the cracks
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Not trying to be negative, but none of these picks scream "steal" to me at this stage. That doesn't mean they won't end up being that, of course, but that's just how it feels at this stage.

I went with Nubin. Getting the consensus best pure safety in the draft 47th overall feels like solid value to me. He seems like a really good playmaker who may end up being better than McKinney.

Bob In PA

I am the one person (currently) who voted for Phillips. But as stated previously Nabors was ranked higher than 6th best player in this draft by EVERY draftnik and alleged draft expert... so it's unanimous that the Giants got more than "fair value" for Pick Six.  We shall see.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 27, 2024, 04:44:00 PMI am not asking for your favorite or most impactful (although you can factor that into your vote).  The question is which pick had the most value?
Bill Polian once said " teams evaluate Drafts based on the amount of value they gathered and fans evaluate Drafts based on how many needs were filled".

We don't know what the Giants' Draft Board looked like so it's difficult to assess value.  But it's essentially sticking to their grades and not reaching to fill needs. But as have discussed over the years, the mantra really is " best player on the Board at a position of need."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 27, 2024, 04:44:00 PMI am not asking for your favorite or most impactful (although you can factor that into your vote).  The question is which pick had the most value?
One more thing - thank you Rich for providing us with scouting reports on each pick. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

LennG

Quote from: todge on April 27, 2024, 07:25:13 PMOne more thing - thank you Rich for providing us with scouting reports on each pick. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Ted

It's good to see you back among the living. You had us very worried.

We might not agree on many things here, but I always viewed your opinions and you have been missed. Glad you are OK.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

andrew_nyGiants

I believe Nubian offered 1st round value, add to that his range and versatility makes him my pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

madbadger

I'm with Dave. I don't see much in the way of value even if four of the guys drafted start next year. To me value is drafting a guy who unexpectedly dropped to them. For instance Kool Aid McKinstry was a consensus top 10 pick this time last year. He almost made it to us at 47. That pick imho would have been tremendous value. I'll say this for Schoen and company, they don't reach for guys. Everyone they picked went in the range that they were projected to go.

Bob In PA

Quote from: madbadger on April 28, 2024, 09:17:58 AMI'm with Dave. I don't see much in the way of value even if four of the guys drafted start next year. To me value is drafting a guy who unexpectedly dropped to them. For instance Kool Aid McKinstry was a consensus top 10 pick this time last year. He almost made it to us at 47. That pick imho would have been tremendous value. I'll say this for Schoen and company, they don't reach for guys. Everyone they picked went in the range that they were projected to go.

madb: Do you disagree with my post (the part about Nabers)?  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

madbadger

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 28, 2024, 09:31:32 AMmadb: Do you disagree with my post (the part about Nabers)?  Bob

He was rated higher than sixth but was always going to go no higher than 3rd or 4th. In fact almost every mock had us taking either him of JJ McCarthy so he went where he was projected. I'm thrilled we got him but it's hard to say anyone drafted in the top 6 offers value.

bamagiantfan

TE Theo Johnson was not the player I wanted at TE but like Lorenzo Carter a few years ago, I didn't think he was going to be there either. Rankings had him anywhere from the 3rd to the 9th best TE, possibly due to the off season issue he had, but he was the biggest target in the draft at any position and showed extremely well at the senior bowl practices as a receiver. I don't see him as a split-out TE like Waller or Bowers, although he can do that. He is an in-line TE like Kittle. I think he enters camp as #5 on the depth chart but could be starting by midseason. That is not something I would normally say about a guy who was drafted in Round 4. He is a better blocker today than anyone else they have, and a fantastic redzone target. He needs to work on his footwork coming out of breaks which is a little sloppy at times.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Gman329

I loved what I saw in Nubin's film.  Looks like an instinctive ballhawk.  His tape looks every bit like the best Safety in the draft.  Great value at 47. 

Ed Vette

Nabers has the potential to be a HOF WR. Realistic best value will be determined in a few years. In 2019 Baker looked to be the best value but it turned out to be Dex and it took him a couple of seasons to prove that. Slayton was the second best value from my perspective.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

killarich

I went with Nubin simply because he's considered the best safety in the whole draft and we got him at 47

I can understand Theo ... but that is simply based off of potential it seems

I know he was hampered by pens state bland offense and I do think he can be a beast , but we don't know that for a fact without evidence

That being said I would not be surprised if Theos impact is on the level of Nabers when it comes to this teams success

So I'm nubin now ... but I don't doubt Theo could be the bigger value pick in a few years