News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 15, 2020, 07:53:09 AM
Rich: They're doing a bang-up job!   Bob

Yet, the rest of the world is doing better than the USA under Donald Trump
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on July 15, 2020, 07:57:24 AM
Is it fair to hold them accountable when countries don't cooperate?

Tim: No, it's not.  However, they do have a duty to report what they know as soon as possible after they learn it.  This, they did not do back at the inception of the virus.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 15, 2020, 08:16:58 AM
Tim: No, it's not.  However, they do have a duty to report what they know as soon as possible after they learn it.  This, they did not do back at the inception of the virus.  Bob

What information was specifically withheld and how do you know that to be true?   Also what role did Trump's failure to fill America's open seat on WHO's board contribute to communications issues?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 15, 2020, 08:24:52 AM
What information was specifically withheld and how do you know that to be true?   Also what role did Trump's failure to fill America's open seat on WHO's board contribute to communications issues?

Rich: I'm not going to answer.

I'm trying my best to avoid criticizing any of our country's ELECTED leaders as IMO they are all trying their best to discharge their sworn duties in a "no-win" situation.  To answer would require otherwise. 

If you don't see the connection between WHO and some elected leaders, look harder.  Then you'll be able to infer what I'm talking about (and, in any event, I think you already know!).

Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 15, 2020, 08:37:38 AM
Rich: I'm not going to answer.

I'm trying my best to avoid criticizing any of our country's ELECTED leaders as IMO they are all trying their best to discharge their sworn duties in a "no-win" situation.  To answer would require otherwise. 

If you don't see the connection between WHO and some elected leaders, look harder.  Then you'll be able to infer what I'm talking about (and, in any event, I think you already know!).

Bob

I know you said on a 1-10 scale that you were 9.9 certain that Trump was doing his very best to fight the virus.   Yet, we also know that the US has done the worst (of major nations) in handling the virus.   Which makes me wonder two things:

1) does that mean you think so little of Trump's abilities that you really do believe that he did the best HE could do in terms of dealing with this nation/world crisis?

2)  Is there anything you could hear or see that would sway you from your opinion that Donald Trump did his best to lead the nation during this major crisis and he never allowed thoughts of his re-election to influence his actions and decisions?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 15, 2020, 08:41:58 AM
I know you said on a 1-10 scale that you were 9.9 certain that Trump was doing his very best to fight the virus.   Yet, we also know that the US has done the worst (of major nations) in handling the virus.   Which makes me wonder two things:

1) does that mean you think so little of Trump's abilities that you really do believe that he did the best HE could do in terms of dealing with this nation/world crisis?

2)  Is there anything you could hear or see that would sway you from your opinion that Donald Trump did his best to lead the nation during this major crisis and he never allowed thoughts of his re-election influence his actionsand decisions?

Rich: Your measure of determining that "the US has done the worst.... etc." ignores basic facts.  There were 50 responses (state by state) rather than one.  We can argue about whether a totalitarian response forcing all states to comply with one set of rules would have been better, but the correct comparison is to weigh each state's results with Germany.  Some did better.  Some did worse.  IMO with a novel virus, it was better to do what Trump did, which was to make recommendations and then leave it to the states.  That's the American way, and in addition, and importantly, it enabled us to learn which approaches worked best MUCH FASTER (and time was the key) so that each state would be free to copy what was working in other states and to avoid what was not working.  Bob

FL GMAN

Before everyone makes a judgement, you may have to wait. There is evidence of massive errors in Florida's reporting. They have discovered that many labs were not reporting any negative results which increases the positive percentage. They are also reporting that a significant number of sites are reporting 100% positive results. The Orlando hospital was being reported as a 98% positive rate when the reality was 9.4%. In addition the Florida death rate is nowhere near what happened in N.Y. nor does it correlate to the positive % being reported. This will come out in the next few days with the Governor possibly discussing today.

Bob In PA

Quote from: FL GMAN on July 15, 2020, 09:06:17 AM
Before everyone makes a judgement, you may have to wait. There is evidence of massive errors in Florida's reporting. They have discovered that many labs were not reporting any negative results which increases the positive percentage. They are also reporting that a significant number of sites are reporting 100% positive results. The Orlando hospital was being reported as a 98% positive rate when the reality was 9.4%. In addition the Florida death rate is nowhere near what happened in N.Y. nor does it correlate to the positive % being reported. This will come out in the next few days with the Governor possibly discussing today.

FL: Yes.  It's way too early in the "life" of a pandemic to start reaching any conclusions about anything.  To your point, however, I do believe a few of the labs have some explaining to do.  Bob

FL GMAN

Decisions are being made on these numbers, such as school reopening. They may have to go back over everything. I haven't been tested but I heard they fingerprint so they may be able to do it. Something is very wrong when multiple sites report 100% positive.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 15, 2020, 08:56:18 AM
Rich: Your measure of determining that "the US has done the worst.... etc." ignores basic facts.  There were 50 responses (state by state) rather than one.  We can argue about whether a totalitarian response forcing all states to comply with one set of rules would have been better, but the correct comparison is to weigh each state's results with Germany.  Some did better.  Some did worse.  IMO with a novel virus, it was better to do what Trump did, which was to make recommendations and then leave it to the states.  That's the American way, and in addition, and importantly, it enabled us to learn which approaches worked best MUCH FASTER (and time was the key) so that each state would be free to copy what was working in other states and to avoid what was not working.  Bob

"totalitarian response forcing all states to comply with one set of rules"

In environmental public health, we like to say that pollution doesn't respect town/county/state borders.   The same could be said of a virus.   The nations with successful responses to the virus had nationwide responses because that is how you handle this sort of outbreak.

I have been in public health for 17 years now and I have been through the H1N1 and Ebola outbreaks as well have spent all those years on emergency planning.

A nationwide has always been the US strategy (from the Bush years when I started through the Obama years) until Trump took office.   The CDC is our leading public health agency and they are the ones who are more than equipped to issue guidelines and procedures and updates to the states.   The states then take that information to form their own policies.  In previous outbreaks, some states may make guidelines that are more stringent than the CDC's but it was never seen that a state would be so reckless as to set standards that were laxer than the CDC.

It's sort of interesting, that just last night I was reading in my paper (I know cardinal sin reading a morning paper in the evening) that thanks to irresponsible states that followed Trump's urgings and ignored the exerts and rushed to open the explosion of cases has created a shortage of testing supplies.   Now, Covid tests in NJ are going from taking 2-4 days for the lab to process to more than 5 days to process.    Taking over 5 days to process kneecaps our state's effort to contain the disease by case investigation/contact tracing/isolation because all the spread you can get in those extra days.  If we had a proper nationwide response that wouldn't be an issue.   If we had a proper nationwide response, NY/NJ/CT wouldn't have 22 states on their list of states where you need to quarantine for 14 days after you return from them.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on July 15, 2020, 09:06:17 AM

So how do you explain all the hospitals being full during the time of year when they are traditionally their most empty?   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 15, 2020, 09:34:47 AM
"totalitarian response forcing all states to comply with one set of rules"

In environmental public health, we like to say that pollution doesn't respect town/county/state borders.   The same could be said of a virus.   The nations with successful responses to the virus had nationwide responses because that is how you handle this sort of outbreak.

I have been in public health for 17 years now and I have been through the H1N1 and Ebola outbreaks as well have spent all those years on emergency planning.

A nationwide has always been the US strategy (from the Bush years when I started through the Obama years) until Trump took office.   The CDC is our leading public health agency and they are the ones who are more than equipped to issue guidelines and procedures and updates to the states.   The states then take that information to form their own policies.  In previous outbreaks, some states may make guidelines that are more stringent than the CDC's but it was never seen that a state would be so reckless as to set standards that were laxer than the CDC.

It's sort of interesting, that just last night I was reading in my paper (I know cardinal sin reading a morning paper in the evening) that thanks to irresponsible states that followed Trump's urgings and ignored the exerts and rushed to open the explosion of cases has created a shortage of testing supplies.   Now, Covid tests in NJ are going from taking 2-4 days for the lab to process to more than 5 days to process.    Taking over 5 days to process kneecaps our state's effort to contain the disease by case investigation/contact tracing/isolation because all the spread you can get in those extra days.  If we had a proper nationwide response that wouldn't be an issue.   If we had a proper nationwide response, NY/NJ/CT wouldn't have 22 states on their list of states where you need to quarantine for 14 days after you return from them.

Rich: That's all Monday morning quarterbacking.  Trump's approach is, was and continues to be the approach required by the Constitution, which he swore to uphold and protect.  All powers not specified there are SPECIFICALLY reserved to the states.  There are public safety exceptions as you well know, but IMO it is up to the President as the top elected Federal official to determine when those exceptions apply.  In this case, IMO Trump's decision IMPROVED our ability to learn as quickly as possible about this novel microbe.  You can argue in retrospect that a nationwide approach might have been better, but you can also argue that it might have been WORSE.  Suppose all 50 states had followed religiously every statement made by Fauci that later proved to be incorrect (not picking on him, just using him as an example)?  Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 15, 2020, 09:39:22 AM
So how do you explain all the hospitals being full during the time of year when they are traditionally their most empty?

Rich: Non sequitur.  Completely unrelated to the point being made.  Also, hospital beds are now being occupied by numerous non-covid-related ELECTIVE procedures which require hospitalization.  Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 15, 2020, 09:45:53 AM
Rich: Non sequitur.  Completely unrelated to the point being made.  Also, hospital beds are now being occupied by numerous non-covid-related ELECTIVE procedures which require hospitalization.  Bob

Is that because it's harder to doctor hospitalization numbers?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 15, 2020, 09:42:00 AM
Rich: That's all Monday morning quarterbacking. Trump's approach is, was and continues to be the approach required by the Constitution, which he swore to uphold and protect.  All powers not specified there are SPECIFICALLY reserved to the states.  There are public safety exceptions as you well know, but IMO it is up to the President as the top elected Federal official to determine when those exceptions apply.  In this case, IMO Trump's decision IMPROVED our ability to learn as quickly as possible about this novel microbe.  You can argue in retrospect that a nationwide approach might have been better, but you can also argue that it might have been WORSE.  Suppose all 50 states had followed religiously every statement made by Fauci that later proved to be incorrect (not picking on him, just using him as an example)?  Bob

More like the week before the game quarterbacking as you (or anyone) can go back and see that I was citing experts well before decisions were made that it was dangerous and people would be killed if you ignored the experts and the guidelines and rushed to open up.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE