News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ozark Season 4, Part II - SPOILERS!!!

Started by T200, May 02, 2022, 11:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Please be warned that Season 4 Part II will be discussed IN FULL in this discussion.

Who's ready to talk???  :ok: :ok: :ok:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

I haven't gotten the chance to watch this yet and since I am cruising in a few days, I won't get to watch for a couple of weeks. Then I will binge watch and join the conversation.

Enjoy the show.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Okay - finished it. Not what I expected, but a good finish. I would've been happier if they didn't kill Ruth in the end and Jonah coming through in the end was a nice surprise. They did a good job of wrapping up the series with about as ideal an ending as I could've imagined. I thought bringing in "John Boy", (Wendy's father) made the show less interesting than if they completely left it out. For a bit, I thought Ben was going to reappear, but didn't. He is still in the goat cookie jar. A lot of people died who needed to die and a few that didn't. I put my stamp of approval on the series for one of the best series I've ever watched. Sad to see it end :(
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Soooo....

After watching the trailer for Part II, I tried to look for clues in it. Seeing Ruth shoot Javi on the street felt like it was part of a dream sequence. The quick glimpse of Marty talking to a woman in what looked to be Omar's place in Mexico stood out to me.

Those two things drove my predictions going into the final 7 episodes.

1) I was 99.9% sure Ruth was going to kill Javi. I didn't expect it to be so soon. I also thought that he could kill another key character before Ruth killed him. I was highly disappointed that Clare spilled her guts. Understandable... but damn.

2) Omar had mentioned his sister in a previous episode. Seeing the woman talking to Marty in the trailer led me to think that she was Omar's sister, Javi's mother. I thought she might be a significant character in the last 7 episodes. Having the strong feeling that Ruth would kill Javi, I suspected that his mother would somehow find her way to Ruth. I also thought that she may have been running the Cartel all along. Turns out I wasn't completely wrong on that one :)

3) I didn't think Omar would be killed. I actually thought he would find a way to kill Maya, the FBI agent who went rogue to arrest him.

All in all, I think it was a good way to wrap up the series. I didn't want to see Ruth die but knowing how the writers were not averse to killing prominent characters, I figured she had to go.

Some things I didn't like:

1) Wendy's father. It seemed like his arc was a little forced.

2) Mel the PI. His presence was annoying from the start. And it only got worse. He's just looking for Helen to get her to sign divorce papers and it leads him down the rabbit hole to Ben? I wasn't buying it. And when I saw him sitting on the trampoline, I said to myself, "Jonah's gonna kill him."

3) Going back to Darlene and Wyatt being killed; early in the series, Jacob and Darlene ALWAYS had people guarding their property. After Jacob 'died', there wasn't as much security presence around the Snell compound. I thought that was kinda odd, well before Javi came on the scene.

There are a group of us at work that watch and talk all things Ozark. One of the guys said an alternate ending would have been to have Camila raise her gun to shoot Ruth. The camera shows Ruth saying her last line, a gunshot is heard. The camera pans over to show Camila slowly falling to the ground from a gunshot to the head... with Wendy standing behind her holding the smoking gun!

Jolly Blue Giant

Great insight. I too was waiting in high anticipation for a gun shot that would kill Camilla before she could pull the trigger on Ruth. The scene allowed Ruth to talk a bit which really made me think Camilla would get shot. My mind was searching for who that would be and I thought of Wendy, but didn't think that made enough sense. The only one I could think of was that "other cousin" (name escapes me) of Ruth who hung around. In the end, I was wrong  :'(

I agree with all your points. I too thought Ben would come out of nowhere and kill Mel, the irritating PI...LOL. Good for Jonah!

There should be a lot of acting awards for the characters on this show with Ruth and Wendy near the top. Really tough roles to play and they friggin nailed it

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 06, 2022, 09:12:05 AM
Great insight. I too was waiting in high anticipation for a gun shot that would kill Camilla before she could pull the trigger on Ruth. The scene allowed Ruth to talk a bit which really made me think Camilla would get shot. My mind was searching for who that would be and I thought of Wendy, but didn't think that made enough sense. The only one I could think of was that "other cousin" (name escapes me) of Ruth who hung around. In the end, I was wrong  :'(

I agree with all your points. I too thought Ben would come out of nowhere and kill Mel, the irritating PI...LOL. Good for Jonah!

There should be a lot of acting awards for the characters on this show with Ruth and Wendy near the top. Really tough roles to play and they friggin nailed it
I said "Ben's gonna kill him" but I meant Jonah!  :P

The acting was very very good on the show.

I also forgot to mention the van accident. I think that was a pivotal moment that brought Jonah back into the family fold. Even after going to see Wendy at the hospital, I feel like Jonah was still harboring some very ill feelings towards Wendy. In the aftermath of the accident, I think he realized how close he came to losing her. His killing of Mel was his "I'm back" statement.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on May 06, 2022, 09:43:13 AM
I said "Ben's gonna kill him" but I meant Jonah!  :P

The acting was very very good on the show.

I also forgot to mention the van accident. I think that was a pivotal moment that brought Jonah back into the family fold. Even after going to see Wendy at the hospital, I feel like Jonah was still harboring some very ill feelings towards Wendy. In the aftermath of the accident, I think he realized how close he came to losing her. His killing of Mel was his "I'm back" statement.

Since they showed that van accident as a preview a couple of months ago, I was pretty sure that they all got away and as they were leaving the Ozarks behind, they all die in an accident. Glad I was wrong  :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

I imagine this thread will get short now because there's no anticipation of what's next...no figuring it all out. Now we know. They got out of it alive and well except for some main characters who were not the immediate family. Lot easier to speculate when there's more coming

I had thought somewhat in my mind that there would be a sequel with Ruth running the show and Jonah her money man. Not happening  :(

gregf

The pain of protecting your children at Ruth's exense was real. As a fan, I hated seeing her die. She was an awesome character. Wendy became an annoying bitch, I reckon that's good acting. 
   As a side note, I enjoyed Camilia on Queen of the South as well if there are any Teresa Mendosa fans here.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Jolly Blue Giant

An article in the NY Post by writer Michael Starr suggests we don't know that Jonah killed Mel. It's all hypothetical and he claims that maybe Jonah shot Wendy as revenge for killing Ben, or maybe he just shot the ugly goat cookie jar (which wouldn't make sense because the remains are still available). Just food for thought. As for me, I am 100% sure that Jonah ended Mel

FWIW, writers gotta write https://nypost.com/2022/05/11/ozark-series-finale-explaining-jonahs-actions-in-last-scene/

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 12, 2022, 09:45:04 AM
An article in the NY Post by writer Michael Starr suggests we don't know that Jonah killed Mel. It's all hypothetical and he claims that maybe Jonah shot Wendy as revenge for killing Ben, or maybe he just shot the ugly goat cookie jar (which wouldn't make sense because the remains are still available). Just food for thought. As for me, I am 100% sure that Jonah ended Mel

FWIW, writers gotta write https://nypost.com/2022/05/11/ozark-series-finale-explaining-jonahs-actions-in-last-scene/
I'm with you, Ric. I think Jonah silenced Mel, once and for all. Maya is done with him and his cat can't talk; who's going to be looking for him???

I just don't see Jonah killing Wendy. If he still has ill-feelings toward her regarding Ben, I think he just continues to ice her... not kill her.

As much as Ruth was a fan favorite, the show was never about her. It was always about the Byrdes getting out of the laundering business for the cartel. That was always the end goal. Mission accomplished.

EDjohnst1981

I liked it.

I thought it was sad that Ruth died too, I was expecting Marty to knock off Camilla.

I despised Wendy and her selfishness and ego throughout the season, I wanted to see the cartel get to her. But that

LennG

FINALLY, I am thru it all and can now comment. It took a while as my darling wife wants no part of this and so I have to keep the wife happy and then sneak off and watch when I can.

I, like everyone else, was terribly sad to see Ruth get it in the end. She did not deserve it and I was also hoping that since Carmella wasn't shooting right away, something else was going to happen. Sadly it didn't and the last of the Langhorne was gone. Marty and his family really did a job on that entire family.

So where to go with this entire show. Just an excellent watch. Except for the last few minutes, no one of value really got killed off in this last part of the season which I found unbelievable as they were killing people off at an amazing rate thru the first 3 seasons.

My biggest question was why they showed the car crash to start season 4? I fully expected that was the way the show would wrap up, maybe not knowing if they survived the car crash after all the other stuff that happened around them. Why then stick it in the middle of the last episode and then continue on? Why open the entire fourth season with it. As I am watching the entire season, I keep saying to myself, no one gets killed and the kids don't run off with Grandpa--they can't as they need to be in the minivan to have that accident.  As for Grandpa, I didn't mind his character that much, I just resented he was a supposed avid churchman.

I also thought they misused or wasted the PI (Mel). He could have been a good diversion especially if he were sniffing out the money laundering and cartel involvement. Why waste him on Helen and then Ben. Silly.

And maybe I missed something as I usually do, but what happened to the baby Zeke? I thought Ruth had him--did she give him away?

Overall though, it was very satisfying and one of the best series I have seen on TV in quite a while.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Again, does anyone know what happen to Zeke?

Was everyone really satisfied with the way the series wrapped up?

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: LennG on May 25, 2022, 06:59:46 PM
Again, does anyone know what happen to Zeke?

Was everyone really satisfied with the way the series wrapped up?
Len

I believe Zeke was made a ward of the state. When Ruth came back from Chicago, her friend brought Zeke to Ruth. Remember she said that she didn't realize the authorities were looking for him?

Later, Ruth turned Zeke over to the acting sheriff. That was the last we had seen/heard of him.

Not sure if you had a chance to read my thoughts on part II above.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk