News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

With the 57th pick the Giants draft Center John Michael Schmitz.

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2023, 08:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 28, 2023, 09:05:31 PMLove this pick.  Getting the C position squared away in Rd 2 makes the G spots much easier to find prospects later in the draft.  Now let's see if they can pull a good ILB or Edge player and a WR prospect.

PSU: Is it more about the player or the position for you?

The situation has worked out unbelievably in this sense... there was a lot of back-and-forth in the media about who was the better choice, Tippman or JMS... and now they're playing in the same city on the same field.

The best situation for both is if they both do well... otherwise it could be tough for one of them

Bob

PS. I thought Scruggs went a little higher than he might have deserved, but apparently Houston needed to get someone and he was the best remaining true center.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

My understanding is the main reason the Jets went with Tippman over Schmitz is because Tippman can play other positions. Schmitz is the consensus best center in this draft. I think we got excellent value on the pick (I would not have complained at all if Schoen moved up 7-10 spots to get him).

Some of our centers the last few years:

Feliciano
Pulley
Halaipo
Bret Jones

It's just great to wake up to knowing we have a bona fide very good to elite caliber player at this position now. And that we only needed a late 2nd rounder to get him. I watched a couple of interviews with him before the draft, and this guy strikes me as a total leader too, which is huge on an O line.

MightyGiants

Quote from: sxdxca38 on April 29, 2023, 08:02:28 AMAccording to CBS college prospect ranking, which I have used for over 15 years now, Schmitz was ranked around the 37th best college prospect in the country.

The Giants got him at pick 57, twenty slots later than where he should have gone.

This may have been one of the best picks the Giants have ever made in the draft, because they not only filled a major need and weakness, but they did so without compromising anything on value.

In fact, the value in this case may have actually outperformed the need which almost never happens, nicely done!

Some mocks had the Giants taking him with their 25th pick
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2023, 08:24:41 AMSome mocks had the Giants taking him with their 25th pick

Yes that is true, I remember seeing a few of those as well.

killarich

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 29, 2023, 08:17:27 AMMy understanding is the main reason the Jets went with Tippman over Schmitz is because Tippman can play other positions. Schmitz is the consensus best center in this draft. I think we got excellent value on the pick (I would not have complained at all if Schoen moved up 7-10 spots to get him).

Some of our centers the last few years:

Feliciano
Pulley
Halaipo
Bret Jones

It's just great to wake up to knowing we have a bona fide very good to elite caliber player at this position now. And that we only needed a late 2nd rounder to get him. I watched a couple of interviews with him before the draft, and this guy strikes me as a total leader too, which is huge on an O line.

Omg seeing Halapio is giving me nightmares

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2023, 08:24:41 AMSome mocks had the Giants taking him with their 25th pick

I said before the draft that while a bit of a reach, given that they didn't have a center at all on the roster if they had taken him at 25 I'd have been good with it. Getting him in RD 2 is incredible.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on April 29, 2023, 10:56:19 AMI said before the draft that while a bit of a reach, given that they didn't have a center at all on the roster if they had taken him at 25 I'd have been good with it. Getting him in RD 2 is incredible.

This is exactly how I feel. At 25 he would have felt like a "safe" pick to me, but not one I would have been that unhappy with. My attitude at 25 would have been they probably could have been wiser to grab a top talent at a premium position (like corner or edge), but I would have been content with Schmitz.

Getting him over 30 picks later instead was epic. This guy was a top 30/40 prospect for sure and most people's number one center in this class. He has no apparent weaknesses and is at least "good" at pretty much every key OC attribute.

He also has a very high floor. The chances of this guy being a bust are close to nil. He has played a ton of snaps against top competition, he checks all the boxes, and barring injury he will for sure be ready to start on week one. I expect him to be (easily) the best IOL we have on the team right from September, and I think there is a good chance that as early as this year (and certainly within the next two years), he is the leader of this unit.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 28, 2023, 09:05:31 PMGetting the C position squared away...makes the G spots much easier to find

Had I only known  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 28, 2023, 09:16:58 PMhttps://twitter.com/GiantInsider/status/1652119502107049985

I feel like im the only one who thinks very high of Bredenson , I feel like outside of Thomas he was our best lineman numerous times.... I also like Ezedu

I also feel like Glowinski got better at the end of the season , I think he should be day 1 starter but that can always change

I think Bredenson and Ezedu can be solid and the future guards for this team ...which sides idk that's the big question to me

gregf

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 29, 2023, 11:22:35 AMThis is exactly how I feel. At 25 he would have felt like a "safe" pick to me, but not one I would have been that unhappy with. My attitude at 25 would have been they probably could have been wiser to grab a top talent at a premium position (like corner or edge), but I would have been content with Schmitz.

Getting him over 30 picks later instead was epic. This guy was a top 30/40 prospect for sure and most people's number one center in this class. He has no apparent weaknesses and is at least "good" at pretty much every key OC attribute.

He also has a very high floor. The chances of this guy being a bust are close to nil. He has played a ton of snaps against top competition, he checks all the boxes, and barring injury he will for sure be ready to start on week one. I expect him to be (easily) the best IOL we have on the team right from September, and I think there is a good chance that as early as this year (and certainly within the next two years), he is the leader of this unit.
I would have been ok with Schmitz and Hyatt as our first two picks.  We far exceeded my hopes this draft.

Bob In PA

Quote from: gregf on April 29, 2023, 11:34:59 AMI would have been ok with Schmitz and Hyatt as our first two picks.  We far exceeded my hopes this draft.

greg: That is SO true.  After all, this is year two of a likely 3-year re-building process, so you're right on. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

ViewFromSection129

I wouldn't have loved Schmitz or Hyatt in round 1.  I would have been happy, but not thrilled.  I think both have enough questions about their ceilings that I would have had questions.  But Schmitz in round 2 and Hyatt in three makes me ecstatic.  Need and value and upside merge perfectly with what the Giants did.

Jclayton92

I think the line is set.

Thomas, Brederson, Schmitz, Glow, Neal

I would try Ezeudu at RG because I think Brederson could be the future at Left for cheap and Ezeudu playing right would allow you to not skip a beat after Glow leaves next year.

weeze

I must say, I REALLY am looking forward to watching a Giants game where the ol doesn't look like it's a GIANT turn style. IM sorta  psyched here folks, is it just possible we can come back and pound on the NFC East now? I hope so!
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!