News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Draft Analysts

Started by FL GMAN, April 29, 2023, 08:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL GMAN

I find it amazing how different the evaluations of players are from one analyst to the other. The WR we selected in the 3rd round is a perfect example. The reviews range from top guy to bum. For all the time people spend reviewing these guys and I'm talking about people paid to do this, you would think there would be more consensus. I don't know much about many players and left the draft feeling good. But obviously I don't know much and even if I did it's still only an opinion.

P.S. I wouldn't have touched Anthony Richardson with a ten foot pole, and I say that as a Gator fan, But again I don't know squat.

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on April 29, 2023, 08:31:33 AMI find it amazing how different the evaluations of players are from one analyst to the other. The WR we selected in the 3rd round is a perfect example. The reviews range from top guy to bum. For all the time people spend reviewing these guys and I'm talking about people paid to do this, you would think there would be more consensus. I don't know much about many players and left the draft feeling good. But obviously I don't know much and even if I did it's still only an opinion.

P.S. I wouldn't have touched Anthony Richardson with a ten foot pole, and I say that as a Gator fan, But again I don't know squat.

As former Giants scout and head of Bears scouting Greg Gabriel used to say, "put 5 scouts in a room and have them watch tape on the same prospect and you will get 5 different reports".   Part of the fun of armchair GMing is facing the same challenge as real GMs, figuring out how to reconcile so much conflicting data.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2023, 08:36:38 AMAs former Giants scout and head of Bears scouting Greg Gabriel used to say, "put 5 scouts in a room and have them watch tape on the same prospect and you will get 5 different reports".   Part of the fun of armchair GMing is facing the same challenge as real GMs, figuring out how to reconcile so much conflicting data.

This is true, but every opinion, like every team, uses a specific set of criteria to evaluate and the individual may have bias to place greater weight on one criterion versus another. GMs, scouts and coaches have their own criteria, which may or may not be comparable and, in addition, are evaluating whether or not a player is a good fit for their system. Given all that, the last thing you'd want is groupthink and, instead of blasting these folks, consider the diversity of the different opinions and try to understand where they are coming from and why they are calling things out in their analyis which may conflict with another's. I can almost guarantee those five scouts, despite looking at a player at a macro level on relatively equal criteria, are certainly looking at different elements through different lenses of bias at micro levels; hence, the diversity of opinions.

In cases, such as this, it may be best to know the scout, and his/her tendencies (i.e. biases) before reading their respective draft analyses.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on April 29, 2023, 09:17:02 AMThis is true, but every opinion, like every team, uses a specific set of criteria to evaluate and the individual may have bias to place greater weight on one criterion versus another. GMs, scouts and coaches have their own criteria, which may or may not be comparable and, in addition, are evaluating whether or not a player is a good fit for their system. Given all that, the last thing you'd want is groupthink and, instead of blasting these folks, consider the diversity of the different opinions and try to understand where they are coming from and why they are calling things out in their analyis which may conflict with another's. I can almost guarantee those five scouts, despite looking at a player at a macro level on relatively equal criteria, are certainly looking at different elements through different lenses of bias at micro levels; hence, the diversity of opinions.

In cases, such as this, it may be best to know the scout, and his/her tendencies (i.e. biases) before reading their respective draft analyses.

Peace!

I don't know if I would call it "bias".  There are scheme-specific traits that every team looks for.  Joe Schoen has mentioned how important it was to learn the traits that they needed to seek out for players to excel in Wink's defense (as an example).

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

FL GMAN

The NFL is a copycat league with many front office people constantly switching jobs. You would think after all these years and exhaustive analysis the differences would be reduced over the years. Especially with the teams relying on the same workouts and written testing. Whatever the case I find it interesting.

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2023, 09:29:36 AMI don't know if I would call it "bias".  There are scheme-specific traits that every team looks for.  Joe Schoen has mentioned how important it was to learn the traits that they needed to seek out for players to excel in Wink's defense (as an example).

Yes, Rich @MightyGiants , be it a "trait," a "preference," a "distinguishing characteristic," or a "bias" towards some intangible, however we wish to characterize it, the key point is that, for the Giants, the player picked provides the best value and probability of fitting into their system. In the end, that's all we care about. So far, it appears that the Giants are doing a great job with just that.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Rosehill Jimmy

Many had Wypler as center #3 and he's still sitting there as round 5 nears an end. Scruggs, Stromberg, Andrews and Oluwitimi taken before him
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Bob In PA

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 29, 2023, 03:30:37 PMMany had Wypler as center #3 and he's still sitting there as round 5 nears an end. Scruggs, Stromberg, Andrews and Oluwitimi taken before him

Jimmy: IMO Alex Forsythe (Oregon) is a better prospect. If Whip isn't drafted a local team might pick him up. BOb
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

When it gets this late in draft (currently end of 5th round) I dont think any of these guys have any idea of what teams' boards look like.  Mel Kipers "10 best available"  hasn't changed in like 30 picks.   

weeze

I totally stopped that because I got totally psyched up for some guy named Cornelius. I so remember his picture on the cover of that Giants Newspaper I used to get[when it actually got delivered} and I thought wow. goes to show what I know! :D  :D
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

MightyGiants

Quote from: weeze on April 29, 2023, 03:42:12 PMI totally stopped that because I got totally psyched up for some guy named Cornelius. I so remember his picture on the cover of that Giants Newspaper I used to get[when it actually got delivered} and I thought wow. goes to show what I know! :D  :D

Are you sure his name was Cornelius?  Could you be talking about Cedric Jones?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE