News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Isaiah Simmons being traded to the New York Giants for a 2024 7th round pick

Started by drewsg, August 24, 2023, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 24, 2023, 11:34:56 AMPretty incredible assuming completely accurate.

Yeah, Ed said it first and I was just filling in the details from OvertheCap.  I'll be curious to see the reaction here in AZ.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Symphony Steve

Wow.  The 'genius' ex-DC of the Iggles couldn't figure out a way to use him?

Don't know what the Cardinals are doing, but this makes no sense to me.  Especially with all the flotsam and jetsam on their roster. 

Sometimes, someone w/o a position can be someone w/several positions, based on circumstances.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

GMenRF

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 24, 2023, 10:44:31 AMExtremely athletic defender who lacks a true position.  Seems like a perfect player for Wink.  I approve of spending a 7th rounder on this former top 10 pick who is just 25.

Can play S and LB, we needed someone to lock TEs in the middle.  Dallas has Ferguson,Philly has Goedert and Wash has Thomas.  This should free up Bobby O to spy on the QB and clean up after our dline.

Low risk and low cost to a potentially high reward move.  Moves like this gives us the confidence that management envisions us for a strong playoff push.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on August 24, 2023, 11:42:34 AMReally psyched to see how Wink uses him. I suspect it will be as a hybrid ILB/Box Safety. He's a bigger, faster, younger, more athletic, more position-flexible version of Landon Collins.

Micah Parsons calls himself a "Lion Backer" who is so versatile that he can play eight positions, but it used in different ways for certain schemes and going against certain teams. Maybe Simmons can play a similar role for the Giants. Simmons outperformed Parsons in straight athleticism at the combine

Since this team does their due diligence (one of Brown's favorite word combo) on every player in the league, I have to believe Wink was involved and he has a game plan in mind
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

Quote from: GMenRF on August 24, 2023, 11:47:56 AMCan play S and LB, we needed someone to lock TEs in the middle.  Dallas has Ferguson,Philly has Goedert and Wash has Thomas.  This should free up Bobby O to spy on the QB and clean up after our dline.

Low risk and low cost to a potentially high reward move.  Moves like this gives us the confidence that management envisions us for a strong playoff push.
They rap is he doesn't have a true position but the fact is that he is extremely versatile. Wink must be giddy.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: GMenRF on August 24, 2023, 11:47:56 AMCan play S and LB, we needed someone to lock TEs in the middle.  Dallas has Ferguson,Philly has Goedert and Wash has Thomas.  This should free up Bobby O to spy on the QB and clean up after our dline.

G-RF: That's a nice post in all respects. I also believe management is "going for it" THIS year. No waiting. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GMenRF

Quote from: AZGiantFan on August 24, 2023, 11:39:29 AMInteresting quote from CBS, "Simmons lined up in the slot on 45.6% of defensive snaps last season."

Hmmm

He also told the AZ head coach that he didn't was to play LB.

I envision him blanketing TEs this season.

GMenRF

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 24, 2023, 11:50:43 AMG-RF: That's a nice post in all respects. I also believe management is "going for it" THIS year. No waiting. Bob

We all do Bob.  We're due for one.  Once every decade still stands right?  Hehe

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

I like the trade for what little we have up and in return what athleticism we got back however keep in mind the following:

Simmons said he does not want to play LB anymore and was practicing with the safeties.  To think we now have an ILB may be swimming upstream and will encounter resistance from him.

Simmons was recruited to Clemson as a safety.  He got bigger but kept his 4.38x 40 speed so he became sort of a rover back playing everywhere.  It's one thing to be positionless coming iut of college but now after 4 years in the NFl he is still without a position.  That's not good. 

I think this kid's confidence is shot.  Wink needs to get in this kid's head and make him believe that Wink can make him a Pro Bowl player.

Simmons may be the closest thing the giants have to a Micah Parsons type athlete/speed guy at LB. 

Jclayton92

Jolly Blue Giant

this has to the fastest growing thread since the draft...maybe longer  :ok:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

B1GBLUE

i wanted him bad in the draft that year. hasnt done much yet, but if anyone can figure out how to use him its wink. obviously hes got something we like.

Jclayton92

If anything Mckinney should be thrilled. Grabbing Simmons, allows the Giants to put Simmons on teams TEs and RBs in coverage freeing up Mckinney to ballhawk.