News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can we get our money back?

Started by LennG, September 11, 2023, 11:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 11, 2023, 04:28:50 PMLOL, Levis couldn't beat out Willis to be the back up in Tennessee.  He would have been third string here as a developmental QB.  He wouldn't have been the Giants Starting QB.

What the heck does that prove anyway? Tannehill is pretty good QB playing on a pretty good football team; and both Malik Willis and Levis are 2 nd round draft picks. You normally don't use up that much draft capital and salary cap for 3 QBs. It's pretty clear one is going to go.

Messiah717

Quote from: kingm56 on September 11, 2023, 04:21:45 PMWhat intrigues me is the persistent narrative that he'll ascend into something he's never been, at any level...a prolific passer  He's about to start his 56 game, in his 5th season.  Yet, here we are having the same dang conversations we had 4 years ago. How much longer will these narratives/conversations persist?  Hasn't that ship sailed?

I don't disagree.  I think at this point people will take consistency but the thought that he's suddenly going to become a top ten guy is getting hard to take seriously. 

Rambo89

Quote from: Fletch on September 11, 2023, 04:33:12 PMWhat the heck does that prove anyway? Tannehill is pretty good QB playing on a pretty good football team; and both Malik Willis and Levis are 2 nd round draft picks. You normally don't use up that much draft capital and salary cap for 3 QBs. It's pretty clear one is going to go.

Tannehill is such a good QB that his franchise used 2nd round picks on QBs the last two drafts.  Tells us exactly how they feel about him.

Again with Levis you are talking about someone if the Giants took him he'd be the 3rd string QB.  He would not be Starting or even the back up.  So I don't see how he's relevant to the question if you weren't bringing back Jones who was going to be the Starting QB this season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Fletch

:what: proves nothing.

Tannehill is 35 ; on the last year of like a 100 mil contract ; and has shown he might not get them over the hump on a playoff team that's been pulling upsets in playoff games since Tom Brady was still on the patriots .

Just forget it . The point is jones would not be extended ; Tyrod wound start and then hand the reins to Levi's . But yea I'm sure anyone want s to draft Levi's and put him on the practice squad :/

Rambo89

Quote from: Fletch on September 11, 2023, 05:23:51 PM:what: proves nothing.

Tannehill is 35 ; on the last year of like a 100 mil contract ; and has shown he might not get them over the hump on a playoff team that's been pulling upsets in playoff games since Tom Brady was still on the patriots .

Just forget it . The point is jones would not be extended ; Tyrod wound start and then hand the reins to Levi's . But yea I'm sure anyone want s to draft Levi's and put him on the practice squad :/

The only way Jones wouldn't have been extended is if they brought in another Starting NFL QB to replace him.  If Levis couldn't beat out Willis to back up Tannehill then there is no way he would have started this season for any team or even been a back up for that matter.

If you want to say they should have signed Jimmy G instead, fine that's at least someone who could be a Starting NFL QB in 2023.  Saying they should have drafted Willis as a replacement for Jones as Starting QB this season makes no sense.

Fletch

I thought that's what they already did by signing Tyrod to a 19 mil w incentive deal making him the highest paid back up at the time

Rambo89

Quote from: Fletch on September 11, 2023, 05:38:58 PMI thought that's what they already did by signing Tyrod to a 19 mil w incentive deal making him the highest paid back up at the time

Yes, to be the back up not start. 

todge

Jones had less than one second to throw the ball. He was rushed, harassed, hit, hurried and sacked the entire game. You're entitled to your opinion- but thinking any QB can be successful under that much duress is a pipe dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

killarich

Held the ball too long ? He barely had time to hold the ball...

He played bad.... but so did the ENTIRE team.... Even Brady would have been bad yesterday... probably even worse because he is not a runner

Half the time ... as soon as the ball was snapped a cowboy was already in the backfield

The one pick was really bad.... but we were already in a downward spiral and he was probably trying to make a play during a sh**storm

Fletch

Just a few points . You don't sign Tyrod to be a just a back up at 19 mil w incentives. That is clearly bridge QB money. 

Second the jones defenders are exaggerating the time . I've seen Eli do it against the dolphins  in one of his last ever games getting the ball out it under three seconds.

Either way what's the point if jones fans are right ? It's one to spend a high round pick on a qb who is going to impaired by a bad oline ; it's quite another to spend 160 mil to do so

Also that second pick was the dagger and reminds me everything wrong w Daniel jones.. Everything was still ok at 19-0 to start in the second qtr. you still 3 TDs to make up / nearly three quarters of football ; that's not that inconceivable.

Philosophers

Honestly I dont know what game some of you watched.  At halftime he threw it 22 times while being under pressure 15 times out of 22 and sacked 5 times.  When I watched, I saw a guy who backpedaled and had maybe 4 throws in which he could plant his rear foot to toss it.

Rambo89

Quote from: Fletch on September 11, 2023, 06:16:06 PMJust a few points . You don't sign Tyrod to be a just a back up at 19 mil w incentives. That is clearly bridge QB money. 

You do when you have an injury prone Starter and don't want to get caught with your pants down again and have to rely on a Glennon or Fromm to start games for you.  It was not "bridge" QB money.  It was high back up QB money.

killarich

Quote from: Philosophers on September 11, 2023, 06:19:41 PMHonestly I dont know what game some of you watched.  At halftime he threw it 22 times while being under pressure 15 times out of 22 and sacked 5 times.  When I watched, I saw a guy who backpedaled and had maybe 4 throws in which he could plant his rear foot to toss it.

This right here is pure facts ... im not saying Jones wasnt bad... because the whole team was bad

But people who really believe he "held the ball too long" are really just digging ... The dude had literally ZERO time ..... not 3 ... not 2...... ZERO

DaveBrown74

Everyone was terrible last night, including Jones. I haven't seen anyone single Jones out or put this loss squarely on him. Who has done that? Answer: nobody.

It was a team-wide catastrophe, period. Where there has been some Jones-related disagreement is around the notion that Jones did nothing wrong and deserves no blame for anything, since "there was no way he could have done anything" and hence deserves zero blame. There are people who have been making that claim, or at least that type of insinuation. I have not seen anyone say the loss is all his fault and would challenge anyone here to produce such a post. That is a straw man claim made up by Jones supporters who are trying to deflect things and make posters who have been more critical falsely look like they're irrationally singling him out, which nobody here has done.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Fletch on September 11, 2023, 04:09:01 PMYou and your hard on for Wil LEvis. Look he is a QB that was available in the draft that could make a developmental project for a new coach and new GM. And maybe I could be wrong about Levis -- but to pretend there were no other QB options than to sign Daniel freaking Jones to 4 yr. / 40 mil a year contract is a baloney argument.

Maybe Tyrod could have gotten the start for a little while and then Levis could play for awhile. Or maybe you trade for Jimmy G. The point is you had options. This team is not going to pivot from wild card last year to NFC Championionship loss this year and that is plainly obvious. So then why is the point of an expensive "bridge QB", Not that I believe one word of 2 years. You're realistically looking at 3 minimum.
Look We've been there and done this all summer and the conversation ends the same. Will Levis is not it otherwise he would have gone in the first round, the colts took a QB that really didn't know how to throw the ball yet over Levis. Yes the Giants could have taken a number of Qbs but why should they when they 2 already. You don't really need more than that in year 2 of a rebuild. At least with Jones you can hope that they are unlocking something, you can do that with Jimmy G he's been on great teams and still has worse passing numbers than Jones.

Glad you stopped by, feel free to check back in about 2 months and repeat all of this to all of us all over again like you've been doing every 2 months.