News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I fear the Giants are trapped in the cycle of mediocrity

Started by MightyGiants, October 03, 2023, 10:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 10:44:33 AMEli Manning was just 32 when he won his second Super Bowl MVP.  Hardly an age where QBs start to decline

And the rapid decline in his play didn't happen until 2017.  He did have a bad 2013 but bounced back in 2014 to a point where he was throwing for 4,000 yards and 25+ TD's a season until 2017 when he was 36 years old.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jclayton92

It's the fact we've never rebuilt. We should have at the deadline traded Barkley, not retained Jones, and started the rebuild with Lawrence and Thomas as the core. The problem is that everyone was sold on the mirage that was last season and refused to see that we needed to start from scratch.

I know a few of us, Jones supporters and non Jones supporters were actively banging the table for a rebuild.

It's definitely coming this offseason.

todge

George Young stated it best - "show me a struggling team and I will show you a team with a struggling offensive line". 

Outside of Schmitz, Schoen ignored the OL in the Draft. There were plenty of prospects available but he passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambo89

Quote from: todge on October 03, 2023, 11:00:37 AMGeorge Young stated it best - "show me a struggling team and I will show you a team with a struggling offensive line". 

Outside of Schmitz, Schoen ignored the OL in the Draft. There were plenty of prospects available but he passed.

The year is 2023 not 1985.  Offensive line play is down throughout the league.  There are plenty of teams with bad offensive line play that are still winning.  The game has changed and that type of regressive thinking is how the Giants have ended up being as consistently bad as they've been for years.

Schoen in two drafts has spent a Top 10 pick and a 2nd round pick on linemen.  There's only so much draft capital you can invest into one unit without it coming at the cost of other units.

True Blue

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 03, 2023, 11:07:53 AMThe year is 2023 not 1985.  Offensive line play is down throughout the league.  There are plenty of teams with bad offensive line play that are still winning.  The game has changed and that type of regressive thinking is how the Giants have ended up being as consistently bad as they've been for years.

Schoen in two drafts has spent a Top 10 pick and a 2nd round pick on linemen.  There's only so much draft capital you can invest into one unit without it coming at the cost of other units.

Not to mention a 3rd and 6th on the UNC guys.

He hasn't not tried, maybe OL Coach isn't doing his job well, all these guys can't be busts

TDToomer

Quote from: todge on October 03, 2023, 11:00:37 AMGeorge Young stated it best - "show me a struggling team and I will show you a team with a struggling offensive line". 

Not according to an interesting stat that Troy Aikman brought up last night. No team has drafted more OL in the first 3 rounds than the Giants the past 3 seasons.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 03, 2023, 10:54:49 AMIt's the fact we've never rebuilt. We should have at the deadline traded Barkley, not retained Jones, and started the rebuild with Lawrence and Thomas as the core. The problem is that everyone was sold on the mirage that was last season and refused to see that we needed to start from scratch.

I know a few of us, Jones supporters and non Jones supporters were actively banging the table for a rebuild.

I hope you are glad you were correct.  You have mentioned it multiple times.   We get it you were right and the rest of us were wrong. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 03, 2023, 10:54:49 AMIt's the fact we've never rebuilt. We should have at the deadline traded Barkley, not retained Jones, and started the rebuild with Lawrence and Thomas as the core. The problem is that everyone was sold on the mirage that was last season and refused to see that we needed to start from scratch.

How has our talented but injury prone big ticket LT looked?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 11:30:48 AMHow has our talented but injury prone big ticket LT looked?

He was 2nd Team All Pro last season.  Yes, he's been hurt this season but he is someone who was paid based upon his past performance not the future performance you were hoping to get but have never seen.

DaveBrown74

He drafted three O linemen the year before, including one 7th overall, and he used the little money Gettleman left him on signing a starting guard. And then he drafted a center in the second round this year.

They have invested plenty in the O line.

Philosophers

Stuck in mediocrity?  Other than last season, they've been sub 0.500.  I'd say stuck in the cellar.

MightyGiants

The Giants certainly have invested heavily in the O-line.  I think there reaches a point where you have to question the evaluation and development process.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 03, 2023, 11:27:32 AMI hope you are glad you were correct.  You have mentioned it multiple times.   We get it you were right and the rest of us were wrong. 
I don't care to be right, I just want the team to win and a rebuild with a new hc, new gm should have been the way.

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 11:30:48 AMHow has our talented but injury prone big ticket LT looked?
He hasn't looked like anything because he's been injured which happens.

I don't know that the offense looks any different with Barkley or AT in the game. They were both there for Philly last season and the Cowboys, and nothing changed.

katkavage

They've been in a cycle of below mediocrity for about a decade. They never learn that when there is a regime change, that they need to break it all down and rebuild. Their half-ass measures: Gettleman trying to build around a declining Eli and now Schoen and Daboll keeping Jones and Barkley when they were valuable assets that could be dealt for capital to rebuild. You have to bite the bullet, clean it all out, and start over or this is what you get. A big part of the problem during all this is Mara. He wanted to keep it going with Eli. And again, with the Duke golden boy, Danny Jones.  Let football people make the decisions.