News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is Daniel Jones $35 Million better than Tyrod Taylor?

Started by True Blue, October 15, 2023, 11:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is there a $35M Difference?

Yes
11 (16.9%)
No
54 (83.1%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: November 14, 2023, 10:31:08 PM

madbadger

Quote from: JT39 on October 15, 2023, 11:59:51 PMIs this game and indictment of how bad Ezeudu is as well? After Pugh got settled - he was light years better than Ezeudu.

Yep but Ezudu is strictly a guard. Pugh has been a halfway decent tackle at points in his pro career. Also at this point Ezudu hasn't even played 16 games in his career while Pugh has started 119.

JT39

Quote from: madbadger on October 16, 2023, 12:03:25 AMYep but Ezudu is strictly a guard. Pugh has been a halfway decent tackle at points in his pro career. Also at this point Ezudu hasn't even played 16 games in his career while Pugh has started 119.

Ezeudu is terrible whether at guard or tackle. We plugged a guy who hasn't played in over a year and left tackle in 5 years and he was instantly better.

NY47GIANTS

Quote from: True Blue on October 15, 2023, 11:31:08 PMAgainst one of the better defenses in the league, with a patchwork OL that got shuffled again after more injuries tonight, with the same receivers, at the very worst, TT looked just as good as DJ

But imo he is more poised, and looked better, plus he was able to take some shots downfield.

How did he have time to throw when this OL has been so historically bad?

I just don't see enough of a step up to warrant the extra money spent on Jones

Completely agree.

The argument that the offensive line is historically bad should be put to bed.

They battled a very good d-line with a guy that hasn't played football in a year and had almost zero time to prepare.

That same guy took snaps at left guard and finished the game at LEFT TACKLE.

IN THE NFL. 🔥

Blocking Von Miller isn't like picking up a bicycle after a year 😂

Props to the big boys. On both sides of the ball. D-line had their best effort tonight as well.

JT39

With the injuries to Milano and White - buffalos defense isn't that great. They struggled mightily last week against Buffalo.

madbadger

Quote from: JT39 on October 16, 2023, 12:05:31 AMEzeudu is terrible whether at guard or tackle. We plugged a guy who hasn't played in over a year and left tackle in 5 years and he was instantly better.

No xxxx Sherlock. One guy has been a starter in the NFL for close to a decade and the other is a guy with little experience who's been bounced around. Of course Pugh looked better because he's the better player.

Trench

Quote from: madbadger on October 16, 2023, 12:09:57 AMNo xxxx Sherlock. One guy has been a starter in the NFL for close to a decade and the other is a guy with little experience who's been bounced around. Of course Pugh looked better because he's the better player.

Problem is many guys on this board said Pugh is washed up and blasted just the thought of having him here as a starter. So when we say Pugh is better I think it's fair to look back at ol the negativity that was sent his way as well.

Jclayton92

Tyrod is a serviceable backup and once we find a way to shred Jones' contract at some point he'll make some team as a serviceable backup.

madbadger

Quote from: Trench on October 16, 2023, 12:13:18 AMProblem is many guys on this board said Pugh is washed up and blasted just the thought of having him here as a starter. So when we say Pugh is better I think it's fair to look back at ol the negativity that was sent his way as well.

None of that negativity was coming from me though.

MagicRat

I think the most noticeable thing was that Taylor seemed....is "sharper" the right word....when rolling out and travelling east to west.
Over the piece though, it's too small a sample size to make a definitive judgement.
The run audible at the half.....well, if Saquon punches that in (as he should have I think)  it's a ballsy play.
But Saquon wasn't playing close to 100%, so there's a "situational awareness" element there.
I've more and more tended towards the feeling that Jones isn't the guy, having been a defender, I think we've David Carr-ed him.
I suppose the punchline for me is,  notwithstanding the general chaos surrounding last night's game, there should be a more noticeable drop off in terms of salary disparity.
Smell my cheese you mother!

DaveBrown74

Bottom line for me on this topic was that Taylor was no worse than Jones has been this year, and that's putting in a way that's frankly generous to Jones.

Taylor is a $5.5mm a year journeyman backup in his mid 30s who has barely been on the field the last few years. Jones is a $40m a year, feature fifth year starter whom some fans here still see as the franchise QB they want the front office to continue to build the team around moving forward.

Am I arguing Taylor's performance last night was anything great? No, obviously not, but was it any worse than Jones? Sorry, but no, it was not. Anyone who refuses to admit that is simply suppressing the truth or is just too clouded by bias and stubbornness to be able to make an objective judgment.

Taylor made multiple nice downfield throws that we have seen very little of from Jones this year, and he took excellent care of the ball overall. And for those trying to downplay the Bills' D, give me a break, please. That's still a top D, and it was a hostile environment and a hostile opponent that was in the mood to fight. It was hardly an easy situation. And it was as bad an O line roster as anything Jones has had to deal with this year, not to mention Barkley clearly wasn't healthy and was getting stuffed at or behind the line for most of the game.

People can try to squint their eyes and manipulate the narrative as much as they want, but the reality is what it is: Taylor last night was no less than on par with Jones this year, and I actually think that's selling him short. Both the eye test and the numbers say he was better than what we have seen from Jones this year, and he is on this roster at about 1/8th of the annual price with about 1/10th of the total guarantee. The facts simply are what they are.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 16, 2023, 06:49:45 AMPeople can try to squint their eyes and manipulate the narrative as much as they want, but the reality is what it is: Taylor last night was no less than on par with Jones this year, and I actually think that's selling him short. Both the eye test and the numbers say he was better than what we have seen from Jones this year, and he is on this roster at about 1/8th of the annual price with about 1/10th of the total guarantee. The facts simply are what they are.
When Schoen came in and declined Jones's 5th year, I suggested then that they should just roll with Tyrod because he has a very similar skillset but would come at a much cheaper price. Plus, he was already under contract.

That was met with quite a bit of pushback, many citing his decision to run for a first down and got concussed against Chicago the previous season. Of course, he made a bone-headed decision last night as well. Point being, Taylor isn't the long-term answer... and neither is Jones.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 06:57:24 AMWhen Schoen came in and declined Jones's 5th year, I suggested then that they should just roll with Tyrod because he has a very similar skillset but would come at a much cheaper price. Plus, he was already under contract.

That was met with quite a bit of pushback, many citing his decision to run for a first down and got concussed against Chicago the previous season. Of course, he made a bone-headed decision last night as well. Point being, Taylor isn't the long-term answer... and neither is Jones.

Exactly.

Taylor is a backup QB. He is not good enough to be a starter you can win a great deal of games with. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise. What's concerning is that he did not look worse last night than our starter, who makes almost eight times as much.

True Blue

Not only did Tyrod look equal to or better than Jones, several times in the 4th quarter Josh Allen was under heavy pressure, but was able to avoid the sacks and make critical plays with the game on the line. I wish he did not do so, but it shows the difference an elite QB makes for a team. Hopefully we get ours next year

B1GBLUE

Quote from: True Blue on October 15, 2023, 11:31:08 PMAgainst one of the better defenses in the league, with a patchwork OL that got shuffled again after more injuries tonight, with the same receivers, at the very worst, TT looked just as good as DJ

But imo he is more poised, and looked better, plus he was able to take some shots downfield.

How did he have time to throw when this OL has been so historically bad?

I just don't see enough of a step up to warrant the extra money spent on Jones

jones has more upside. but his confidence is SO low right now. Kafka needs to put him in a position to get in a rhythm. we've seen what he can do when he has that. I would love if jones would grow a set and show some damn fire. i'm getting tired of the nice guy thing. off the field thats great. but seriously, get mad, get in a linemans face when they blow an assignment. TT looked a little better, but he also had barkley, and kafka obviously changed some things up. why do we have to wait until jones is injured to do that?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 16, 2023, 12:14:33 AMTyrod is a serviceable backup and once we find a way to shred Jones' contract at some point he'll make some team as a serviceable backup.

i think jones will go to a decent team and play reasonably well. he's never going to be a pro bowler. but on a team that can give him more than 1.8 seconds and maximize his RPO and play action ability, he can be pretty good. he's the modern day alex smith.