News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is Daniel Jones $35 Million better than Tyrod Taylor?

Started by True Blue, October 15, 2023, 11:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is there a $35M Difference?

Yes
11 (16.9%)
No
54 (83.1%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: November 14, 2023, 10:31:08 PM

DaveBrown74

I think at the time it would have been difficult to tag Jones. In hindsight, we'd certainly be better off now, but at the time it would have been very tough. The Giants were coming off their best season in years, they had just won a playoff game for the first time in a decade, and Jones appeared to be taking a step forward as a player. Had they tagged him, that would have meant almost certainly letting Barkley walk and then owing jones the full amount of the tag in 2023. In other words, they would have had to accept not being as good as they could be if they used the tag on Barkley and gave Jones some sort of deal with a 2-3 year out. Obviously the overall situation was always less than ideal, but I don't think tagging him would have been that easy to do at the time.

Trench

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 08:17:53 AMi think this is a fair assessment. was he better than jones? not really. was he worse? definitely not. and you bring up a good point about the difference in pay. but he did have barkley, who changes everything on this offense. lets see how jones looks once he's got him back, and if kafka calls plays the way he did last night. its frustrating that he only changed things up once jones got hurt.

He 100% was WAY better than Jones showed previous to last night. This was the best pass rush team and we were missing 3 starters on an already depleted line and everyone and their mother said Pugh was a waste of a spot.

Guess what. Tyrod moved the ball - pretty easily at the end. Found weapons in WanDale and Hyatt and it was clear his internal clock processes quicker and his body language is calmer.

Anyone who doesn't believe me I direct you to Amani Toomers comments on the post game show

True Blue

Tagging Jones would not have made sense in that moment, but that is largely due to them not trading Saquon at the deadline, him still being here is complicated that cause if DJ got the tag, Saquon surely would have walked for nothing in return.

babywhales

If I could play Tyrod and remove Jones's salary hit I would

Knowing what I know now, Ild be fine with that happening last off-season

Take 40 mill and sign 2 guards and RT

Keep Thomas, Pugh and Schmitz

That being said, Jones is where he is because of the reality of the season and Tyrod played the way he did because he knew he had an opportunity and playing it safe would not be a smart way to do the most with his opportunity

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

StompYouOT

Quote from: Trench on October 16, 2023, 01:39:32 PMHe 100% was WAY better than Jones showed previous to last night. This was the best pass rush team and we were missing 3 starters on an already depleted line and everyone and their mother said Pugh was a waste of a spot.

Guess what. Tyrod moved the ball - pretty easily at the end. Found weapons in WanDale and Hyatt and it was clear his internal clock processes quicker and his body language is calmer.

Anyone who doesn't believe me I direct you to Amani Toomers comments on the post game show

Tyrod is better and letting him start and Jones walk last offseason would have been smart.  Instead here we are.  Last night was legit the only competitive game we played outside of 30 min in Arizona.  I don't have much else to say about it because some people will blame everything besides Jones. With Taylor we at least look competent.  When Jones comes back we will go backwards, take 10 sacks a game and lose by 5 TDs. Then do it again next year while spending more picks on an OLine. 

I think the locker room likes Jones, he works his ass off, but I really wonder if goin back to him would cause friction among players.

Ed Vette

Jimmy G and Carr were available. Would they have faired any better than Jones? Any other FA QB's?

I don't think Schoen would have gone into the season letting Jones walk and starting Tyrod.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 17, 2023, 08:34:05 AMJimmy G and Carr were available. Would they have faired any better than Jones? Any other FA QB's?

I don't think Schoen would have gone into the season letting Jones walk and starting Tyrod.
Jimmy G is a better QB than Carr but Jimmy can't stay healthy. Both would have been cheaper than Jones.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Hadron

At least we signed our franchise QB, right?  :hurt:

Thankfully, we can move on from him without too many complications and he can settle into a Tyrod Taylor role (high end backup/low end starter).

todge

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 16, 2023, 06:49:45 AMBottom line for me on this topic was that Taylor was no worse than Jones has been this year, and that's putting in a way that's frankly generous to Jones.

Taylor is a $5.5mm a year journeyman backup in his mid 30s who has barely been on the field the last few years. Jones is a $40m a year, feature fifth year starter whom some fans here still see as the franchise QB they want the front office to continue to build the team around moving forward.

Am I arguing Taylor's performance last night was anything great? No, obviously not, but was it any worse than Jones? Sorry, but no, it was not. Anyone who refuses to admit that is simply suppressing the truth or is just too clouded by bias and stubbornness to be able to make an objective judgment.

Taylor made multiple nice downfield throws that we have seen very little of from Jones this year, and he took excellent care of the ball overall. And for those trying to downplay the Bills' D, give me a break, please. That's still a top D, and it was a hostile environment and a hostile opponent that was in the mood to fight. It was hardly an easy situation. And it was as bad an O line roster as anything Jones has had to deal with this year, not to mention Barkley clearly wasn't healthy and was getting stuffed at or behind the line for most of the game.

People can try to squint their eyes and manipulate the narrative as much as they want, but the reality is what it is: Taylor last night was no less than on par with Jones this year, and I actually think that's selling him short. Both the eye test and the numbers say he was better than what we have seen from Jones this year, and he is on this roster at about 1/8th of the annual price with about 1/10th of the total guarantee. The facts simply are what they are.
The offensive line under Daniel Jones was on a pace to allow the most sacks in NFL. As soon as he got the ball, he was under siege. I'd be interested to get your take on this because it appears most are ignoring this very real situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uni

Quote from: todge on October 17, 2023, 01:11:21 PMThe offensive line under Daniel Jones was on a pace to allow the most sacks in NFL. As soon as he got the ball, he was under siege. I'd be interested to get your take on this because it appears most are ignoring this very real situation
So what are you trying to say? This is the fault of the OL? If so, then why the mere 3 sacks against Tyrod?

I think there are 2 things going on here:

1) It's just observation bias that every snap was a jailbreak
2) By the 3rd quarter, the D could just tee off because the Giants fell so far behind

But this does not preclude the salient fact that Jones was too slow to process and too indecisive to unload a pass. Plus he was looking for a wide open receiver, and when the defense blanketed his first option, Jones just ran around lost to get sacked. There were at least 4 throws Taylor made that you should expect a franchise QB to make that Jones is too risk averse to even attempt.

True Blue

Quote from: todge on October 17, 2023, 01:11:21 PMThe offensive line under Daniel Jones was on a pace to allow the most sacks in NFL. As soon as he got the ball, he was under siege. I'd be interested to get your take on this because it appears most are ignoring this very real situation

You do realize Tyrod played behind the same OL, with even more band aids applied to it, right? I am unsure what you are trying to say here.

DaveBrown74

My take is that I would wholeheartedly agree our offensive line is poor in the state it's in now. But where we may differ is on the idea that all sacks are created equal and when Jones gets sacked 11 times in a game it's all the O line's fault. That Taylor only got sacked three times with the same O line minus Ezeudu against a top notch defense in a road game speaks volumes to me.

Trench

Amani Toomer himself said Tyrod gets the ball out and processes reads much faster than Jones. I would consider him an expert, no?

EDjohnst1981

I don't think he's 7 times better.

Out of interest, what was Taylor's PFF grade? I've had a look and don't think the heroes/goats scores have been posted.

True Blue

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on October 17, 2023, 04:31:03 PMI don't think he's 7 times better.

Out of interest, what was Taylor's PFF grade? I've had a look and don't think the heroes/goats scores have been posted.

I'd like to know this as well