News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What a difference a name can make at QB

Started by MightyGiants, October 16, 2023, 09:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: Trench on October 16, 2023, 01:45:35 PMIf he played better than Jones (which many believed he did) then he should be given a chance again

Trench: It doesn't matter what many believe.

It matters what the coaches believe (and the owner, who pays the bills).

However, I do agree he played well enough to do his job, which is the job of NFL backup quarterback.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

babywhales

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 10:30:39 AMFactually speaking Taylor produced no better (and some might argue a bit worse) than Jones.  What's more important production or how they look producing?

The most important aspects of the game that translate toward increasing the probability to obtain a win

Ability to read the defense
Ability to adjust coverage and audible
Ability to quickly scan field
Ability to take reasonable calculated risks down field with accuracy
Lability to
Make those around you better, (getting Hyatt and a Layton involved was huge)

Those skills translate week to week
In that regard in those aspects, except end of the 1st 2/2 Tyrod did better than 2023/24 version of Jones

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Trench

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 16, 2023, 02:59:07 PMTrench: It doesn't matter what many believe.

It matters what the coaches believe (and the owner, who pays the bills).

However, I do agree he played well enough to do his job, which is the job of NFL backup quarterback.

Bob

I agree mostly.

Where we disagree is I do believe he played very well because it was against a top 5 defense with a makeshift oline. He gets the ball out quicker than Jones and can process faster (and he hasn't had many reps this year). Toomer agrees with this assessment so in my opinion we may very well have a controversy brewing. Daboll needs to win games - not worry about honoring Jones with starting due to his being paid to start. He needs to show he is competent and I think that could mean he has Jones take a seat on the bench at some point.

Time will tell though.

UncannyGfan

Am I right to say for the first time this season it felt like the Giants had a chance to win for four straight quarters?  I only had that feeling for a quarter against Arizona.

Going into the game with the state of the OL they really blew our expectations out of the water.

So in searching for why that was, we had the most observable difference, a new QB. It seems we've been talking more about the QB position then any other on this board by a long shot.

Can we conclude that Taylor was the reason that was a winnable game despite it being one of the highest probably losing game this season as the announcers pointed out ahead of the game?  Well that's where the discussion is heading next.

I think Taylor gave them a better chance to win over expectations because of how well they ate up the clock in the first half, not turning the ball over and letting the defense shine.  Ceri mention this type of style in another thread.  The team went back to trying to eat up clock to keep the overall game score down and giving the team a chance late in the game.  Jones or the offensive game plan moved away from that style this season, Waller being evident. Sunday's change in QB and OL situation made them move back towards it.  It was fun to watch and I hope they can stick with it going forward this season with either Jones or Taylor.  Right now though I'd stick with Taylor until Jones is completely pain free.

Gmo11

Quote from: UncannyGfan on October 17, 2023, 09:40:11 AMAm I right to say for the first time this season it felt like the Giants had a chance to win for four straight quarters?  I only had that feeling for a quarter against Arizona.

Going into the game with the state of the OL they really blew our expectations out of the water.

So in searching for why that was, we had the most observable difference, a new QB. It seems we've been talking more about the QB position then any other on this board by a long shot.

Can we conclude that Taylor was the reason that was a winnable game despite it being one of the highest probably losing game this season as the announcers pointed out ahead of the game?  Well that's where the discussion is heading next.

I think Taylor gave them a better chance to win over expectations because of how well they ate up the clock in the first half, not turning the ball over and letting the defense shine.  Ceri mention this type of style in another thread.  The team went back to trying to eat up clock to keep the overall game score down and giving the team a chance late in the game.  Jones or the offensive game plan moved away from that style this season, Waller being evident. Sunday's change in QB and OL situation made them move back towards it.  It was fun to watch and I hope they can stick with it going forward this season with either Jones or Taylor.  Right now though I'd stick with Taylor until Jones is completely pain free.

I tend to agree with that for the most part but hard to ignore the idiotic audible at the end of the half that absolutely cost the Giants points and likely cost them the game.  That's why it's a little bit of a closer discussion. 

As far as play on the field outside of that I do think Taylor was better able to deal with the pressure, make smarter decisions on where to throw, and showed a willingness to at least attempt down field passes where Jones has not.  So I would say he probably does give them the best chance to win games right now, but I also am not sure winning games is in the best interest of the team anyway.

T200

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 17, 2023, 09:58:55 AMI tend to agree with that for the most part but hard to ignore the idiotic audible at the end of the half that absolutely cost the Giants points and likely cost them the game.  That's why it's a little bit of a closer discussion. 

As far as play on the field outside of that I do think Taylor was better able to deal with the pressure, make smarter decisions on where to throw, and showed a willingness to at least attempt down field passes where Jones has not.  So I would say he probably does give them the best chance to win games right now, but I also am not sure winning games is in the best interest of the team anyway.
I don't excuse the change because he's a veteran but I also understand it's been a while since he's had live, meaningful playing time. It's not the norm for him.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

UncannyGfan

Quote from: T200 on October 17, 2023, 10:30:14 AMI don't excuse the change because he's a veteran but I also understand it's been a while since he's had live, meaningful playing time. It's not the norm for him.

I wonder if Taylor over learned the Seattle Superbowl loss lesson.  They were so close to the end zone in a big formation with Barkley right behind him.  I wonder what he saw in the defense that keyed him to audible?  End of half vs end of a game is a totally different situation but he was going for the win right there which came back to haunt them later.

Ed Vette

The Bills missed an easy FG which if made puts all of this as being moot. If the Giants won, that missed FG would be the talk of the town. I'm sure.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 17, 2023, 12:33:15 PMThe Bills missed an easy FG which if made puts all of this as being moot. If the Giants won, that missed FG would be the talk of the town. I'm sure.

Very true.

Fans (myself included for sure) have been avoiding this point, and it's a very fair one.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: UncannyGfan on October 17, 2023, 09:40:11 AMAm I right to say for the first time this season it felt like the Giants had a chance to win for four straight quarters?  I only had that feeling for a quarter against Arizona.

The sole reason we almost won that game was the defense was lights out. It's pretty obvious.

Had nothing to do with TT, who couldn't muster a single TD drive. He had more to do with us losing the game then he did in almost winning it.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on October 16, 2023, 09:49:34 AMThat's my takeaway we well. At least with Tyrod we don't have to hear about how all the players around him failed him.

Well..they didnt. the oline probably played their best game of the season.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 17, 2023, 12:49:17 PMWell..they didnt. the oline probably played their best game of the season.

Or maybe the QB was more adept at pocket manipulation, rush awareness, and processing speed/effectiveness. He also took more shots downfield which impacts what kind of looks you get from the defense.

True Blue

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 17, 2023, 12:53:00 PMOr maybe the QB was more adept at pocket manipulation, rush awareness, and processing speed/effectiveness. He also took more shots downfield which impacts what kind of looks you get from the defense.

I could not agree more, when he took over last week for the time he was in, it did seem like Tyrod was under less pressure and duress in that portion of the game also. He had some pressure, but did not seem as frequent.

UncannyGfan

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 17, 2023, 12:45:20 PMThe sole reason we almost won that game was the defense was lights out. It's pretty obvious.

Had nothing to do with TT, who couldn't muster a single TD drive. He had more to do with us losing the game then he did in almost winning it.

Would the defense have played as well if they had to play more snaps?  The offense play calling was very conservative, had no turnovers, and no unblocked pass rushers hitting the QB before he could see them coming (was OL just better or was it Taylor's influence on calls at the line and his own pocket skills?).

Would the Giants have made this game plan for Jones and would Jones execute it more efficiently?

To the former, there is no evidence this season they would have tried this plan with him.

To the latter, I think this is another thread of the QB discussion we've discussed all year.  I think the Jones of last season would have executed it better than Taylor.  The Jones of this season after five games, I don't he would have.  The play that comes to mind was Taylor's throw the blitzing side or when Barkley went out for reception instead of blocking when recognizing the situation.  Jones regressed in handling those situations this year.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 17, 2023, 12:53:00 PMOr maybe the QB was more adept at pocket manipulation, rush awareness, and processing speed/effectiveness. He also took more shots downfield which impacts what kind of looks you get from the defense.

does that affect the linemans score though? if they get beat they get beat. the scores show they played much better this week.