News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daboll- Jalin Hyatt has a long way to go

Started by Ed Vette, October 26, 2023, 12:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

"OC Mike Kafka said Jalin Hyatt is right on schedule and doing a great job in his role, which could keep growing as the season progresses."

More than I can say for Kafka.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

UncannyGfan

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 26, 2023, 04:57:39 PMHis ego and posse killed his career. Too much success too soon. TC never reigned him in.

I'm not going to stop blaming the Giants offensive line and them ignoring Ramczyk and Whitworth the offseason before OBJ got hurt.  At the time we blamed Manning rushing his throw high while under duress.  If the Giants had acquired either of those tackles ahead of the 2017, I bet Manning would have gotten one more ring or close to it.  OBJ was unstoppable until that injury.       

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on October 26, 2023, 02:45:06 PMKafka and Daboll don't seem to be on the same page. Their statements are very different.

Daboll's statement comes across as, "Nice job getting an 'A' on your test. Too bad it wasn't an 'A+'. You have lots of improvement to do."

Tim: As you know, Parcells approached each player differently. Paraphrasing very loosely, some guys need a kick in the ass while others need a hug, and a few others just need to be left alone (Mark Bavaro for one).

Another approach (not in conflict with Parcells) coach decides with each player whether to minimize great things he's done (reminding him constantly how far he still has to go) or praise him notwithstanding awful mistakes he's made (reminding him it's a learning process that takes a while so just keep on keepin' on).

As a long-time NFL guy, Daboll IMO takes the best of both approaches and says whatever he believes is most likely to produce improved results. 

Bob

PS. One more thing: reminding a player that he still isn't "there" yet but continually putting him on the field can only mean one of three things, or a combination of two or more of them: (a) the player is good & coach thinks he can be better; (b) the player is young & coach thinks he needs experience; or (c) the player stinks but coach has no one better to replace him with. LOL

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 27, 2023, 06:59:14 AMTim: As you know, Parcells approached each player differently. Paraphrasing very loosely, some guys need a kick in the ass while others need a hug, and a few others just need to be left alone (Mark Bavaro for one).

Another approach (not in conflict with Parcells) coach decides with each player whether to minimize great things he's done (reminding him constantly how far he still has to go) or praise him notwithstanding awful mistakes he's made (reminding him it's a learning process that takes a while so just keep on keepin' on).

As a long-time NFL guy, Daboll IMO takes the best of both approaches and says whatever he believes is most likely to produce improved results. 

Bob

PS. One more thing: reminding a player that he still isn't "there" yet but continually putting him on the field can only mean one of three things, or a combination of two or more of them: (a) the player is good & coach thinks he can be better; (b) the player is young & coach thinks he needs experience; or (c) the player stinks but coach has no one better to replace him with. LOL
Excellent points, Bob. And you're probably spot-on.

My only (slight) issue is that Kafka is different this year versus last and this  public difference of assessment of Hyatt between Daboll and Kafka just feeds into the offensive dysfunction, in my mind.

I'm not happy with Kafka this year. As much as I railed against Mara and his statements about the team and now, I welcome his silence, I would not be mad if he made another "the offense is broken" declaration.  :happy:

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

bamagiantfan

I think they would like to get the ball to him more but I imagine some of the plays where they planned to do so fell apart due to inadequate line play, and as a result, the ball had to go elsewhere. I think you will see more shallow crossing routes to use his speed and get the ball out quicker instead of throwing him balls with 20+ air yards. They have started doing that with Waller who arguably has had the same issue with not being targeted enough before last week. Hyatt has a lot of promise but he still has 2 good games and 5 bad ones to date, much like the Giants. There is enough blame to go around for that between him, the way he is being used, play-calling, and inconsistent O-line and QB play.

For me, until the QB has more time I think we will continue to see the targets for Waller and Robinson go up while Hyatt gets about the same number of looks he has been getting. I don't think everyone is going to be happy with that, but until Hyatt gets more precise with his route running on shorter routes that is what I expect to see. I also think they could get him the ball more often if they were playing from ahead which has been a rarity of late. Playing from behind, the Defense can insist on not giving up the big play by blitzing and playing two deep safeties. The Giants haven't been able to hurt teams for doing that.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Doc16LT56

Good for Daboll. Under John Mara's leadership this organization has bent over backward to anoint rookies, to the detriment of those players and the organization as a whole in my opinion. Parcells wouldn't have stood for it. Parcells wanted players to earn everything they got, including praise. Same with Coughlin. Mara is more interested in public relations and shaping the narrative on social media then in allowing players to naturally develop and earn their status the old fashioned way. Just my two cents.

Gmo11

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 26, 2023, 04:45:30 PMActually, I like that they are bringing him along and making him a better version of himself. It will pay off in the long run. Same with WonDale. Odell had moves, speed and hands but he only ran Slants and Go Routes. The fame got to his head before he matured. Killed his career.

From the minute OBJ stepped on an NFL field he was the best player on it.  I was at his rookie debut and while he only had a handful of actual catches he was open on just about every play.  They just had no idea what they had yet.  Hyatt has that same type of talent if they were to unleash him. Which they should.  As soon as possible.

And what killed OBJ's career was injuries.  Nothing else.  He was uber competitive and routinely dominated games until freak injury after freak injury knocked him down from Elite all world athlete to simply an excellent athlete.  Unfortunately that was also the distinction that dropped him from one of the 3 best WRs in all of football to where he currently resides.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 27, 2023, 10:53:49 AMFrom the minute OBJ stepped on an NFL field he was the best player on it.  I was at his rookie debut and while he only had a handful of actual catches he was open on just about every play.  They just had no idea what they had yet.  Hyatt has that same type of talent if they were to unleash him. Which they should.  As soon as possible.

And what killed OBJ's career was injuries.  Nothing else.  He was uber competitive and routinely dominated games until freak injury after freak injury knocked him down from Elite all world athlete to simply an excellent athlete.  Unfortunately that was also the distinction that dropped him from one of the 3 best WRs in all of football to where he currently resides.
His injuries aren't the only reason why teams passed on signing him or that he's been given one year contracts. He had a great contract with the Giants only to be traded to Cleveland, who ultimately cut him for his antics.

"After careful consideration, internal discussions and conversations with Odell and his representation, we've determined that it is in the best interest of all parties involved that Odell no longer play for the Cleveland Browns," Browns general manager Andrew Berry said in a statement. "We appreciate all his efforts and contributions while in Cleveland, but we've just reached a point where it is best that we move forward as a team without Odell. We are finalizing the process of granting Odell his release and we wish him well as he continues his career."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the Browns are converting Beckham's base salary into a signing bonus to lower his cap number in an attempt to save money. Once the contract is finalized, Beckham will be released. He can't be claimed on waivers until next week

Remember the meltdown with Josh Norman?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-admits-odell-beckham-should-have-been-ejected-during-game/

How about pissing like a dog? Kicking the net?

His interview with Josina Anderson. throwing shade on Eli Manning?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24919394/odell-beckham-jr-know-eli-manning-reason-new-york-giants-struggling-offense

Injuries took him off the field but his reputation and antics killed his brand and his credibility for teams looking for a mature player. One year contracts are all he's going to get unless he turns it around with what little time he has left. Yet, to this day the issues continue.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/odell-beckham-jr-fought-titans-jeffery-simmons-after-testy-london-game/ar-AA1isywF

If he wasn't such a jackass, he would still be here in Blue, and maybe history would be very different for him and the NY Giants.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 26, 2023, 01:03:25 PMGiven the almost always very complimentary way coaches usually talk about players, I wouldn't exactly call this the most effusive feedback I have ever heard.

yes sounds like shakespeare's "the lady doth protest too much!"

they are trying to coverup their tracks for not using him til the season was almost lost
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"