News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants deserved to lose

Started by Leek21, October 29, 2023, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

On a side note, this game shouldn't have even been this close. The Jets shots themselves in the foot multiple times starting from that first turnover which resulted in a FG and those killer penalties that kept the Giants in the game. The Jets are a good team that played badly.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

UncannyGfan

Quote from: Leek21 on October 29, 2023, 04:31:08 PMDaboll went way too conservative.  Let the kid throw.

I disagree.  This game and the Buffalo game came down to the wire because of run calls and giving their outstanding defense a chance to win them games.  They came within a yard in both of those losses.  The offense is really terrible right now, if they called more passes in today's weather they would have been blown out. 

Going forward, this style won't hold up without having another good starting caliber RB rotate with Barkley and additional TEs that can run block and catch.  Taylor and Jones (last season) complemented Barkley as second running backs.  I don't know where they go from here, maybe there are some more Free Agents with fresh legs who can help?  They should probably keep Pugh in the starting lineup and just play six OL every snap.  They should start rotating Williams, Lawrence, and Thibodeaux out more often, so they don't burn out this season either.  It's a shame how it all came undone this season with the Defense being such a bright spot.   

Ed Vette

Daboll made a lot of questionable decisions. He's going to be roasted this week for it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: bamagiantfan on October 29, 2023, 05:19:31 PMThis game never should have gone to overtime. The last 6 plays in regulation,

Barkley comes up short of the first down.
Gano misses the FG. (I would love to have known the Giants' odds of winning as he lined up for that FG.)
Wilson catches 29 yard pass down the middle as Thibodeaux jumps off-sides, stopping the clock.
Alan Lazard catches a 29 yard pass.
Wilson spikes the ball with one second left.
Zurlein makes the FG Gano couldn't (and makes another a few minutes into overtime.)

When it mattered, the Jets players made the plays and the Giants players made the mistakes.

Good summary and you are 100% right.

That said, his use of DeVito was atrocious. 

B1GBLUE

Quote from: spiderblue43 on October 29, 2023, 04:44:36 PMDaboll is earning a new name...Dumbo. This was a complete failure of resolve to win. This season is a disgrace and I hope they are sellers.

Dumbo should have gone for it late..then kickoff instead of having DeVito submit. As bad as Judge ever was.

DUMBO is leading this parade..obviously scared of mice too.
Quote from: madbadger on October 29, 2023, 04:35:50 PMDaboll is spineless. You have an injured kicker and you refuse to let your quarterback throw the ball. Just how exactly did he plan to win.

One of the guys on FAN called daboll a coward... rather said he is coaching cowardly, which i agreed with then, and agree with now. lot of fans got very defensive about it, but its SO true right now. I get devito is a 3rd string rookie. but jesus. give the kid a freaking chance. that strategy of throwing to barkley on the sideline 3 plays in a row... just take a knee at that point. unreal. the biggest problem is when he does make a gutsy call.. it still doesnt work. nothing is going right for him or the team right now.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 30, 2023, 07:26:53 AMOne of the guys on FAN called daboll a coward... rather said he is coaching cowardly, which i agreed with then, and agree with now. lot of fans got very defensive about it, but its SO true right now. I get devito is a 3rd string rookie. but jesus. give the kid a freaking chance. that strategy of throwing to barkley on the sideline 3 plays in a row... just take a knee at that point. unreal. the biggest problem is when he does make a gutsy call.. it still doesnt work. nothing is going right for him or the team right now.

I think Daboll waited until the right time to take a risk, and Gano missed the FG to put them up 6, which was a killer. The off sides by Thibodeaux was a killer. The holding penalty in overtime was a killer. The pass interference in overtime was a killer.

The players made Daboll look bad, not the other way around.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

andrew_nyGiants

The defense played their collective A** off the whole game. The fact that it even got to OT was not on them.

I'm not going to even quarrel with Daboll's decision to kick the FG. I made it abundantly clear to my wife, the tv and the neighbors at the time when I was screaming "GO FOR IT...END THE GAME!!"

There was a big miss at the end of regulation. The refs never officially spotted the ball before the Jets lined up for the spike with one second left. Also there is no way you can complete a 30 yard pass in the middle of the field in 8 seconds.

We'll be hearing about "errors" later this week, but it won't change the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

GordonGekko80

This was probably the worst football game I have seen in recent years... From both teams that is.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: bamagiantfan on October 30, 2023, 07:35:16 AMI think Daboll waited until the right time to take a risk, and Gano missed the FG to put them up 6, which was a killer. The off sides by Thibodeaux was a killer. The holding penalty in overtime was a killer. The pass interference in overtime was a killer.

The players made Daboll look bad, not the other way around.

i think they are feeding off each other. at the end of the day, if our pro bowl kicker makes a 35y fg, we win.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 08:42:46 AMAndrew: I was saving this issue for its own thread.  Would you mind starting such a thread? Thanks. Bob
Not at all Bob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!